Which Press is best?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mike1959, Jul 3, 2012.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My reloading mentor said Lee will get the job done adequately and well but "feels cheaper" than other brands. I have friends who bought Dillon and are very happy with them. They reload thousands of .357 or .44. I have an RCBS progressive press and like it very much. It takes me about 5 minutes to change from one caliber to another. RCBS and Dillon both have great customer service. I have Lee components (dies for my .223); the Lee Autoprime works fairly well as does the Lee powder dispenser, which dispenses powder reliably and is easily adjustable. It just doesn't have the robust feel of some other reloading equipment.

LDBennet posted a stickey at the top of this section of the forum with a quick overview of the three types of press. There are a number of threads in this section about which brand to get; each is a lively discussion of which press to get/is best. As far as I can tell, it boils down to each person has his favorite and has his own reasons for it, and is quite happy to expound on those reasons.
    That's the story behind howlnmad's response about the rainbow war threads. People here stay friends even though they disagree on what kind of reloading press they use. The discussions get lively but not destructive. Don't be shy about asking questions. The only dumb question around here is the one that doesn't get asked.

A progressive press, IMHO, gives greatest flexibility. I use almost full progressive features for my .357 ammo; I use it as a single stage press for my .223 ammo. I got mine well used, had to have some parts replaced and RCBS was excellent in sending the parts free, from California to the UK.

I have a carbide RCBS set of dies for the .357 and Lee dies for my .223

If you are new to reloading I would suggest getting a good manual that will take you step by step through the reloading process. Read it through before starting the reloading process.Ask lots of questions...everyone here is eager to share their knowledge and experience.

We'll be glad to hear what you get. We'll be watching for pictures.
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Kevin R, is that a Belding and Mall (spelling?) powder measure in your pic? I still use mine exclusively for single stage reloading, very accurate, and by far my favorite!
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

here's a pic of mine (in front of the Dillon), brass tube and clear window.

[​IMG]
  4. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

That is a product-improved B&M clone no longer made by Vega Tool, called the Schutzen. I know of only one other person who has one. I also own an original B&M that is just outside the picture to the right, which I bought for nostalgia reasons.

[​IMG]

I also own a few drop tubes for them.
    [​IMG]
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Nope, but it's not in my plans to ever go full progressive. I'm to anal for that. I meant as far as strength goes. Can the RCBS load 50 BMG?
  6. Waldog

Waldog Member

50 BMG requires a GIANT press. Standard reloading presses do not have the ram capacity. RCBS makes a press specifically for the 50 BMG and associated Wildcat cartridges.
  7. X Ring

X Ring Member

Actually the only 50BMG capable press RCBS makes is the Ammomaster 2, not specifically made for the 50 but for all large and extra large rifle calibers. I have use it to load 25ACP and find the colossal size to actually be amusing.
  8. mikld

mikld Member

Which is the best car? Which is the best single action revolver? I've been reloading since '69 and haven't read any side-by-side comparisons for any presses. Way too many personal reasons to buy a press. Use common sense and do your own research (visit vendor's sites, reviews, etc.). I'd also suggest you get the ABCs of Reloading, and Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook and read them and you'll be able to decide which press/equipment best suits your reloading needs. I reloaded with Lee, Lyman, C-H, and Redding presses. All were good and put together good, accurate ammo, all with the same ease of operation. I'm now using a Lee Turret, a C-H 205, and my favorite of all; Lee Loaders...
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mike, for what it's worth, here's a pdf comparing dillon vs lee vs hornady.
    http://fatwhiteman.com/files/28524-27069/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I also own a few drop tubes for them.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

holy smokes! I need to get some more drop tubes made, looks like ya have a few!

my .458 takes on average close to 70gns, my little (one and only) drop tube is too small, I have to half the charge and dump two in each case....

B&M made great stuff, their primer tool is one of the greatest out there
  12. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

thanks blackeagle, great report. thanks to all who have offered an opinion. now to sort through it all.
  13. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

aa1911: There is a guy on Ebay who will make one for you at whatever size you need. The one in my pic that is laying across the bottom row is one of his. It will handle at least 100gr of 7828.

Also, B&M is starting up production again, to include parts and drop tubes.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i gotta hand it to lee.. the classic kit is hard to beat price wise. for a guy wanting to get in cheap... it's an easy door to open! even if you later get other equipment.. I see it as a good one to have as a 2nd or extra setup.. even if it is left dedicated to a specific task or caliber.
  15. oldgunfan

oldgunfan New Member

I would get the RCBS if i were you, I've had my rockchucker for over 20yrs now and even though I now have a redding T-7 turret press I still do all my sizing and depriming with the Rockchucker. No other press on the market has the leverage that a rockchucker has.
  16. soundguy

i know a gun that broke his wood top bench with a RC when he got a hard stuck case and yanked good on the lever.. :) the RC do have alot of compound lever action..
  17. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Very good to know!

Thanks for the info, I will be getting some large drop tubes made up. Will need to check out B&M and see what they're making now, pretty sweet. Between me and my father, we have just about everything they made for reloading, I think he has a half dozen or so powder measures and tool box after toolbox full of goodies.
  18. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

No but the RCBS piggyback to add to the RC from what I have read would be anybodys last choice anyway.
  19. soundguy

why? I havn't read anything deal killing about it?
  20. sting75ray

sting75ray Active Member

Lyman press and RCBS dies here:D:D