Which press to buy

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunte567, Oct 16, 2011.

1. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Im new to this and want to start reloading. I want to reload 9mm, 30-06, and 7mag. Im not sure which reloader will do all three. I think the lee turret will but I want to be sure before I start spending any money. Any help yall can give me would be great. Thanks, Neil
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Neil ! Take a read on the sticky threads at the top of the reloading forum. LD has put together some great must reads. First step in reloading is to read a couple of manuals first before buying any equiptment. This will make chosing a press much easier for you. Do you know any local reloaders? A few hands on lessons and getting familiar with the process would be ideal.

The Lee turret will do them all. What is your anticipated 9mm usage? If you're going to do high volume 9mm, then the time factor comes into play.

There's much to consider, so if you could give a little more detail on these specifics, we'll answer whatever questions you may have in order to get you heading in the right direction for you.

Budget -
    Purpose,ie hunting, plinking, benchrest -
    Volume -
    any future calibers you may load -

Semper Fi,

Woolley
  3. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Hey Woolley, thanks for the quick reply. There are some guys my gun range that im going to talk to this week. They were'nt sure about which press to use for the 7 mag. I use it mainly for hunting, but I like going to the long range and shooting. As far as budget im trying to stay as inexpensive as I can. I dont use alot of 9mm but if I can make them, I bet I'll shoot more. I'll like to get dies for 9mm, 30-06, 7mag, 243 and later on 380. Thanks for the help, Neil
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good single stage will fit your needs nicely. And is the easiest to learn on too. I started on a LEE anniversary kit and it served me well, and was still functioning strong the day I sold it on ebay after I bought better equipment. I use a good mixture of all manufacterers. Lee dies exclusively, RCBS press, Lyman 55 powder drop, RCBS scale, etc etc etc. And I reload about a dozen different cartridges. Both pistol and rifle.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

:confused: Makes ya wonder if he meant to admit that!!! (Donning Flamesuit)
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Better than LEE? Why, that must be blasphemy!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I also use the Lee turret press, and I love it. No changing dies, and no adjustments. I reload .38, and .357. If you only have one set of dies, you must adjust them each time you switch calibers. With the turret press, just buy another turret, and another set of dies, and you are set to reload both calibers with no adjustments being necessary. Changing form one caliber to another is easy, just change out the turrets, and you are ready to reload.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

The Lee Classic Turret will handle all you want to do. For loading the rifle calibers you can deactivate the auto advance and go single stage. Put it back in auto advance for your pistol loads and you'll be cranking out 100's of rounds an hour.
  9. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Thanks guys for all the help
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah i meant it. RCBS does make a better press IMO. and scales too.

Cant beat LEE dies tho, unless you buy redding. Nuttn better than redding.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Only thing blasphemous IMO is spending a buncha unnessary money on a buncha blue paint..

Attached Files:

12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

See signature below...... :crazy:
  13. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Now Now boys, lets play nice. We all know LD secretly longs for a LEE press and JLA is just a pussy cat!:D:rolleyes:
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I agree that it sounds like a single stage press will work for you. I am using the same LEE single stage that I started with about 35 years ago, and it is still going strong. I load all of my rifle cartridges on it and a few pistol rounds. I do have one of those blue presses that I use for 9mm, .38, .40, and .45.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And its still covered in that wonderful shade of crimson isnt it..;)

Shhh, dont tell.. :)