Which Press?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Maddmaxx, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Maddmaxx

Maddmaxx Member

I am looking at a lyman turret or RCBS but I have seen good reviews on the new Lee 4 hole turret. Will the Lee hold up ok? I am new to brass reloading but I used to load shotgun years ago with a Mec loader. I think for pistol loading a turret would be my best bet. Will the Lee get me started and work ok to learn on or should I get the Lyman or RCBS as a first press. I am reading the lyman manual now from from front to back.
  2. dbach

dbach Member

Most brands of reloading equipment are well built. Each brand has its quirks. I use a RCBS Turret and it works well for me. I have never owned a Lee or a Lyman, so I don't know anything about them. I do know that RCBS is top notch equipment and their customer service is one of the best in the business.

RCBS equipment is a little more expensive than Lee. Lyman? I have no idea.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Maxx. what kind of volume and calibers are we talking about?
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

LEE reloading equipment is the "Harbor Freight" of reloading equipment. Good tools cost more as do the Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Forester, and virtually anyone else's reloading equipment. I have owned a lot of LEE stuff and most all of it suffers the same problems: Innovative design features made of material not up to the job or wrong for the job and only adequate quality. Now if your budget is tight then the road to reloading cartridges may be had by LEE equipment. But if you expect durability, quality, and long term good performance then LEE is the road to frustration, in my experience.

But we all get to choose and have our own opinions. Take mine however you wish.

LDBennett
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMO it comes down to functionality and service. I have never used Lyman equipment but in a LGS where I frequent they have an area where you can try and buy used equipment that reloaders have sold back or traded in. I always see a lot of Lee and Lyman equipment and the RCBS seems to be a little more stout then the Lyman. The RCBS stuff seems to be built like tanks and YOU WILL NOT EVER WEAR THEIR PRESSES OUT. My father has reloaded more ammo then the majority of reloaders that I know and all of his RCBS equipment still operates just like new.

The other fact about RCBS is their customer service is paramount for the life of your press and in repairing your dies. That is important to me.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

The advantage to the Lyman and RCBS would be the extra station. The Lee will do everything you need to do just as well as any of the others. I'd stay away from ythe Deluxe Turret press though. The biggest complaint with the Lee is the ratchet for the auto advance so if you go that route, buy extras they're inexpensive. The other plus to the Lee is that you can switch from auto progressive to singal stage buy removing the center rod. For the money it's a great press but I'm sure this will turn into another rainbow war. It would be best if you could actually put your hands on each one and see for yourself.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I sense a worm can is opening....

I like Lee's stuff but have to agree with LDB. I prefer RCBS for single stage presses but most are just fine. Lyman, Redding are two other very trusted names in reloading equipment.

If you get into progressive later on, go Dillon!
  8. RandyP

RandyP Member

there is a LOT of brand loyalty and unfortunately the usual brand bashing anytime this daily topic is raised.

As a rough guideline I would suggest that at a relaxed pace :

A single stage press will make 50-75 rounds per hour
    An auto-advancing turret (Like the Lee) 150-175 rounds per hour
    Progressives - 300+ rounds per hour

I do not think any of the players makes 'junk' and IMHO if you used the same components NOBODY could tell the difference in a finished round vs what machine made it from the $30 Lee Loader to the $30,000 Camdex or any machine in between.

Choose something that fits your budget and realistic amo needs and you will be a happy reloader -and once you buy something STOP READING about other presses - LOL
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That kind of sums it up pretty good.
  10. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

Would you prefer to own a Ford, Chevy, or Yugo? You get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor is very true when dealing with Lee products.

If you prefer to balance cost and quality, don't overlook (non-Lee) used presses. Seven of the nine presses on my bench were bought used, and are of high or higher quality than the two new ones.
  11. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 New Member

Look to the Lee Classic Cast Turret. I think you will be very pleased. It is a far more versatile press than the Lyman and RCBS. I have used all three. I only kept the Lee.
  12. Kestral

Kestral Member

Have at present all turret, Lyman AA.exc ( no longer made) Lyman T11 not keen on.Lee Turret , very useful, RCBS ok.& just purchased Redding T7 which is absolutly perfect especially when seating the primers.ordered it at Sinclair Int,but was delivered by Brownells.wished I`d bought it long before I did.
  13. X Ring

X Ring Member

One thing I have to say about the Lyman T-Mag II, the press is fine, no trouble, but the darn priming system is a pain in the A$$. I had to file on it just to get it to work at all, it still usually drops the last primer or two on the floor, the tube doesn’t even hold a hundred primers Maybe I got a bad one but it’s something you should consider before buying, if you plan on priming on the press.
  14. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

The Lee classic turret press is as good or better than any other turret press out there. I definitely got what I paid for. My Lee classic turret has worked flawless for over six years now.
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I prefer RCBS and Hornady. Every thing lee I have ever had the misfortune of owning was worthless and broke in short order.

Many people get many good years of service out of lee equipment.
  16. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i happen to have a lee classic C and a rcbs rockchucker supreme. I've used both to deprime, size and seat .. they both, as someone else said.. turn out a finished cartridge that is indistinguishable from another.

the rcbs was a 200$spendy press.. the lee was 20$ you can't really compair them. if I used them both coninoulsy.. the lee would probably have issues long before the rcbs.

I like having both.. I can deprime on the lee as a single operation.. then do other steps as needed..

the point it.. it's rare that you will only have 1 press forever... :)
  17. budman46

budman46 New Member

lee aluminum presses work, but aren't my cup of tea. lee's classic cast turret, however, is excellent; i have 3 dillons and a rockchucker...idle most of the time, but my classic turret is always in use; it'd be the last i would let go.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Lee presses are as good as anything else out there. I've been using them for around 40 years, and have yet to have a problem.
  19. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Consider a Redding turret press if this is the style you really want. They're a bit pricey, but according to the good folks at Sinclair's this is the only one of it's type capable of turning out benchrest match quality ammo. For a lifetimes worth of reloading, cry once about the price and never look back.
  20. zant

zant Member

I like the Lee turret,but would NEVER purchase a Lee progressive-my Dillon 550 spoiled me for anything else...