1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Which primer to use?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by howlnmad, Jan 28, 2012.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm working up some brass to do a load test (30/30). My Speer manual says to use large rifle magnum primers but none of the others do. I'm loading 150 grn Rem Core-Lokts over H335 powder. The max charge will be 34 grn and working down in .2 increments. Should I use the magnum primers or just go with the large rifle?
  2. whirley

whirley Member

Magnum primers will give you possibly better ignition and a little more velocity. All my loading manuals specify standard primers,so I'm surprised at that. I only use mangum primers in my .375 H&H. Large case, lots of powder, better ignition. You have acess to the internet, I suggest you ask SPEER about the primers. I'm sure they'll give you a good explanation.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

335 is a ball/spherical powder that may need a magnum primer to ignite fully, especially in very cold weather . Use em if ya got em.
  4. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The book I have access to right now is Lymans 47th.It says with 150gr jacketed RN, using H-335 powder starting chge is 34.3gn and max chge is a compressed 39gr. using Large Rifle primer. What do your other books list? Speer's max chge appears to be just below Lyman's recommended start chge? Just concerned..Joe
  5. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

With the quick scan of some manuals:

It looks as though either primer should work but maybe it's more important when using CCI brand primers?

A look through some of my Speer manuals shows that H335 first makes an appearance with them in 30/30 loads in the 10th edition. They did make a change in the charge weight though, from 29.0gr to 33.0gr in editions #10 & #11 down to 28.0gr to 32.0gr in editions #12 - #14. However, they do recommend using a CCI #250 mag primer in all of the #10 - #14 editions with H335.

A look at some other manuals reveals that at least for their (or non-specified) 30/30 150gr bullet loads:

Hornady manuals #6 - #8 shows the use of a standard Fed. #210 primer & 27.4gr to 35.0gr of H335.

Barnes lists their first 30/30 loads in editions #2 & #3 w/their XFN bullets using standard Winchester WLR primers & 26.0gr to 30.0gr of H335. (In edition #4 they went to the TSX bullet and dropped using H335.)

Lyman #49 though, mentions using a standard CCI #200 primer & 30.5gr to 34.0gr of H335.

Lee #2 simply mentions using a "large rifle primer" & 29.7gr to 33.0gr of H335.

Sierra #5, while using standard Rem. #9.5 primers for their 30/30 loads, no loads are shown using H335...
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. howlnmad

I don't have a Barnes or Sierra manual but I have referenced all the others except my Speer is #13. The Hodgdon 2003 and 2010 both say LR as well. Speer was the only one that suggested using a LRM and it does specify CCI. I'm going with the 34 grn as max just to split the difference between all the references.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I agree. The spherical powder I've used in winter experienced hang-fires, I solved the problem with a heavier charge weight but a magnum primer may have solved it also.

I would also suggest working up to 34grains incrementally, instead of "working down." :D
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Like Steve and Rifleman noted, H335 (and pretty much any other spherical that I've used) will give more consistent ignition with a hotter primer especially in the cold weather.

For the 30-30 (and others), I used to use WW748 and I also used Mag primers with it for any cold weather loads.
    I'm now using BLC2 instead, and since it's spherical too I'm still using magnum primers.
  9. howlnmad

I do have a few hundred CCI LRM primers hanging around, I reckon I'll give them a try. Thanks for the help folks.