Which reloading manual is the best overall ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Grahajp, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

Understanding that a person needs more than one reloading manual for reference, etc... If you could just own one, the most comprehensive, which one would it be?
  2. GBertolet

GBertolet Member

I would go with the Hornady manual as a first choice.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Member

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

This question will get you about as many answers as there are manuals available. :)

Generally, common sense says that you should get a manual from the company that makes the components you're reloading.
    Hornady manual for Hornady bullets, etc...
    BUT...this can get real confusing since bullet companies, powder companies, and reloading equipment companies all have manuals.
    When it comes down to the data inside, none of them are any worse than the others. They all develop their loading data in ballistic labs so even though one manual may show differences from others they're not "wrong" from the others.

For good starter manuals...the two already mentioned are probably my top recommendations too.
    Hornady has a real nice graphic & text description of the hows and whys of what happens when you pull the trigger on a cartridge and the reloading process. This one is my favorite.
    The Lyman manual is also a good beginner's source, as is the Lee manual. The Lee manual does get very opinionated at times about the reloading process...but the load data is just fine.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I gotta go along with Bindernut, a manual for a specific brand bullet is best. It makes me mad cuz I load a lot of Rem and Win bullets and have to use general info and go from there. Any other brand I load, I use their manual to start with and cross referance with Lyman and Lee.

howlnmad
  6. Waldog

Waldog Member

It's nice to have each manufacturers book. However, Lyman's new 49th is hard to beat. It has many different manufacturers bullets listed. The Lyman manuals are my GO TO FIRST books.
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

Lyman's 49th, Lee's and Hodgdon's more than serve my needs.

Every reloader/shooter needs to choose what works best for them.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

+1 if I only had one, this would be it.
  9. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I have Nosler and Lee. Both are very good, but if I had to pick one, it would be the Nosler.
  10. mikld

mikld Member

For a reloading manual (how-to, not recipes) ABCs of Reloading is the one. For load data use one from a company that manufacturers the components you choose. I have 7 or 8 manuals laying around my shop, but Lyman's handbook and cast bullet handbook get used the most.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The only one that explains in pictures how a cartridge works and how the reloading processes relate to how the cartridge works is the Hornady manual. It is my contention that it is important to know how a cartridge works in detail in order to make the right decision when reloading them. The Hornady manual covers details like: the cartridge case is really a gasket and how it does that function.

But for reloading data I like the Hodgdon manual because I use their powders almost exclusively (love those ball or short cut powders that meter well through a powder measure). For match performance I often use Sierra bullets and their manual is good for match loads. Speer's manual is also very good.... I can't pick except I do think a new reloader needs to at least read the Hornady manual for the reasons stated above.

LDBennett
  12. DGG!

DGG! New Member

There are many good manuals, many online. I have used Speer's manual for a long time because it covers almost everything. I'll try to find a link to another manual that I like and make another post (I don't really understand the edit/delete functions yet).
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  13. DGG!

DGG! New Member

14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lyman 49th
  15. Airdale

Airdale Member

Only one? It would be Sierra manual hands down!

I would not suggest just one in any way.
  16. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    Lyman 48th ,,, unlike the newer 49th they were still referrencing the most accurate load in a given bullet load and has proved to be uncanny for me as ending up to be the very same for my load workups nore often than not. I own at least a dozen good manuals but this one is my go to book .
  17. wallager57

wallager57 New Member

Either Hornady or Accurate Arms, you can't go far wrong with any of them. There is so much data free online, I haven't bought any in years though :)
  18. Airgarcia

Airgarcia New Member

Are reloading manuals recommended for all gun owners or those that produce their own ammunition? I'm a bit unclear on this...I want to be as educated as possible but I just bought my first gun yesterday, so I have a looooong way to go. :eek:
  19. Tanker6

Tanker6 New Member

I've been a "shooter" for nearly 30 years, but I bought my first reloading manual last year when I decided to try my hand at loading my own. Never needed one before then. Just open a reloading manual next time you see one in the store and you'll understand.

Good Luck!
  20. Airgarcia

Airgarcia New Member

It sounds like you're saying that reloading is the art of producing your own ammunition...not my cup of tea I'm sure. Thanks for the feedback....