Which Ruger Single Six to get?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by charleslee, Aug 19, 2009.

1. charleslee

charleslee New Member

I want to buy my first Ruger Single Six for target practice, new. What exact model do you recommend, what barrel lenght, stainless or not, etc. A place by me has the basic, blued model for$429.00. Thanks for your help!
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If it's strictly going to be used for punching paper, I recommend the longest barreled one you can find. The longer the barrel, the longer the sight radius, so the easier it will be to be accurate. Model NR-9L http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10624&return=Y

You will also want one with adjustable sights. The shorter barrels can be gotten with either fixed or adjustable.

Again, if you want it strictly for targets, you might think about this. The KNR-7H
    http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10624&return=Y You can scope it, or put on a holo sight or a red dot, or whatever.

If you will be doing anything else with the gun - hunting, plinking, just carrying it around - a shorter barrel would be much handier. Barrel lengths are personal, but in a single action I like the 5 1/2".

They used to make the 22s with a Bisley grip. This one is a 45, but the grip is the same. http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=831&return=Y I've got a couple of them, and I really like the grip.

As to stainless or blue, once again, that's personal. Stainless won't rust on you. Depending on where you are at, that's a plus. But some people don't like the look of 'em.
  3. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I had a 6 1/.2 " stainless for a couple of years. Friend wanted it real bad so I sold it at a good price. Right off I knew I'd made a mistake. But I went out and bought a new 5 1/2" stainless to take the pain away. :)
    The Ruger Single Six is, imo, as good a single action .22 revolver as yoju'll find. And it's built like a tank! This is the 5.5":

[​IMG]
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I think (with no disrespect) that Alpo is dating himself as an "old school paper shooter" relative to barrel length recommendations. Otherwise, he pretty much covers the subject well. Very long barrels are inconvenient, very short barrels are harder to shoot well.

A longer barrel and sight radius combination is theoretically better. But, theory and actual results are not always the same. For example I still often shoot Master level Bullseye scores. I see no significant difference between 30 shots @ 50 yards when fired from a 5" barrel Ruger of an about 10.5" barrel Czech Olympic type free pistol. As Charles. Askins, Jr. said: "Its 95% trigger control and 5% for everything else", assuming you are shooting decent quality equipment.

Another example that comes to mind is the Ruger model # KS47N Super BlackHawk with about a 7.5" barrel. This model was once popular at "club" metallic target shoots. It typically shot tighter sand bag rest groups than the nominal 10" barrel model that should have been more accurate. The exact reason(s) are speculative, but likely have to do with barrel harmonics.

My personal advice for practicing target shooting would be to buy a Bull barrel Ruger MK III Target model (unless you are lucky enough to find a late production MK II 5.5" Bull barrel, in excellent condition).

You can spend lots more money on a 22 target/utility pistol; but you will be paying for things like brand name, fancy wood grips, and refinements that only benefit Expert of better shooters a few points out of 900 for 90 shots. Most Ruger MK I, II,III 22 Target models are capable of shooting a National Championship Score if the shooter is. Most shooters (myself included, today) are not.

As for the "Single Six" models, most are "fun" plinking/utility type pistols. An Expert or Master Shot does not usually need a sand bag rest set up to see a significant difference in accuracy at 50 feet to 50 yards as compared to the auto-loading "Mark" models. I like to shoot as well as I can, so I do not own, use , or recommend them.

As for Blue or Stainless Steel. Usually, stainless steel offers an advantage only if the firearm will be subjected to environments that are likely to cause rusting problems, and you will be unable to keep your gun clean and oiled! Stainless costs more, but performs no better than blued (actually blackened) alloy steel. It reflects more light and is not preferred by most experienced target shooters.
    Target shooters (muself included) who somehow have a stainless "paper puncher", often paint the top of it with "Ultra Flat Black" Krylon type spray paint to make them more suitable for competition.
  5. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I like the balance of a Single Six with 6.5" barrel. I had a couple of 5.5" models and prefer the feel of the 6.5."

I did have a Colt .22 Frontier Scout with the long Buntline barrel and it was a pain to carry and shoot.

Go to a local gun dealer and see how the diffent barrel lengths balance in your hand.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

super single six, blue 5.5 barrel standard all the way around. except change the grips for real buffalo horn grips from eagle.

if'n someone was doing a wager, saying that the ruger auto pistol will hold up better than the single six. i'd put my money on the single six any day. you cant hardly break a rock... or a single six