1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Which SKS ???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/28/01 3:48:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Which SKS ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOG has the md59 sks for $159 and the md59/66 which has the grenade launcher for $149.

It seems to me that the md59/66 is a much better value. When they added on the launcher in 1966 did that drop the collectors value down on these rifles? Both descriptions state that they are in good to very good condition. Why then is the grenade launcher version going for $10 less?

Right now I'm leaning towards the md59/66 until I hear from the group.

Also they have the Swiss K-31 rifle. Which seems to be much lower in price than anyone else. Might just have to pick up one of these also.

Confused? Don't be so sure.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/28/01 4:07:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Which SKS ???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Without it and the swiss price did drop at SOG and is now one of the lowest priced, better get two swiss`s....there bound to go up again. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

Bob In St Louis
    (11/28/01 9:35:53 pm)
    Their prices are a lot lower than InterOrdnance! Frankly, I would like to get one of the models with the grenade launcher. Where did you see those prices? I didn't see it in the recent Shotgun News - is it on their website?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/28/01 11:06:44 pm)
    Bob; Yes, its posted on their website. I already have a Russian SKS which is really to nice to shoot and was thinking of getting their Yugo with the launcher on it, to have one a little different.

LTS..Whats your thinking on getting one without the launcher on it? I value your opinion and will base my choice upon it.

Confused? Don't be so sure.

polishshooter
    (11/28/01 11:25:35 pm)
    I'm going to be at SOG on Friday, I'm going to ask to see one of the Yugos...

And FL, I handled one of the Swiss "Shooter's Grade" at AIM for $109.95 last week, couldn't compare it to the better one, but it was SWEET to me, all matching nice blue, bore appeared unfired, the only difference they say is the wood, VERY few dings evident, and appeared to be "used" just from handling though, compared to the Mosins I'm used to I was IMPRESSED. If these are "Shooters Grade," then the others must be "Perfect" IMHO...

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/29/01 7:51:43 am)
    FL, even though I have not seen a SKS with a launcher before and it would be a novelty to have. I always worry if they were ever used as such, training or otherwise. On small Russian rifles....including the AK47 with the launcher, the stress applied to the parts and stock are extreme and more likely to have damaged it, as opposed to a Grand US rifle. JMHO as the Russians designed theirs to fire with the buttstock on the ground or other hard surfaces. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

Bob In St Louis
    (11/29/01 8:00:46 am)
    Polish - let us know how they look before we go ordering them! I have a couple people around here that have been asking about them.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/29/01 12:31:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Which SKS?
    I read in another forum that SOG won't actually have the Yugo SKSes until sometime next week, so you may be out of luck on Friday. It's rumored these will be Century imports.

The price differential between SOG and InterOrdnance is because SOG lists condition as G-VG, while IO has them at EXC to Like New, Unissued. I've seen a few pics of IO rifles, and they are nice and clean.

That said, I'll probably order from SOG or some other distributor when they get them - I'm a cheap bastard.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/29/01 5:38:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Which SKS?
    I had to call SOG today cause the 38 Turkish mauser that I ordered from them came in with the Stock nearly broke in half. It looked to me as a recent break, maybe good ole fed x was rough on it. Anyways as always they were VERY polite and will have the rifle picked up and have another one shipped out. Now while I had her on the phone, I asked her the same question I asked here. The best that she could come up with was that the ones with the grenade launcher on them were not as old as the ones without the launcher. I beleive she was taking a guess at it, as she was just reading off the description on her screen and trying to come up with something to answer my question.