Which Smith & Wesson???

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by TheRooster, Feb 21, 2011.

1. TheRooster

TheRooster New Member

I am looking at buying either the S&W 4006 in .40 cal or the S&W 5906 in 9mm. The things I have read about the 4006 is it was the same platform as the 5906 just changed over to .40 cal. I would rather have something in .40 but i don't think this is very accurate or a good platform. I have read the 9mm is the better choice. What do you guys think? I want the 40 but the 9 is very appealing:D
  2. dragman

dragman New Member

9 is cheap but 40 knocks em down easier IMO, but 10 is king!
  3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Both are going to be great guns. It really depends on your caliber preference. For me, I would go with the 9mm because I don't care for the snappy feel of a 40. I've owned them in the past and they tend to sit in the safe and get passed up for range trips.
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Good advise so far (especially on the 10mm) as to price and both being a good choice. Like stated above, I own several 40s and they rarely get shot. I eitehr grab a revolver, a 45, 10mm, or if just plinking a 9mm since 9mm ammo is so cheap. IF buying a 9mm or 40 on the S&W platform, I would prefer the 4006 or the xx06 in 9mm being they have a hammer and are not like the others which do not (DA only). I know I have a LEO trade in 4006 and it is a great shooter. plus there are so many LEo departments using the 40 cal that trade ins are really cheap in 40 cal, cheaper than the 9mm models out there. Bottom line I would buy the 9mm IF price of ammo is a concern and if not I would buy the 40 cal being they are cheaper priced guns if buying a LEO trade in. n Now that is going by the options you specified. IF your options are open, have you concidered a 45 in a 1911 platform? 45 ammo has gone down in price to where it is as cheap as 40 cal and in some cases cheaper.
  5. noslolo

noslolo New Member

My best friend has a 5906, which he and I love! I think that it's a highly under rated gun. It will out shoot my PT99 (big surprise) all day long.
  6. CanuckPete

CanuckPete New Member

I bought mine last year, ( almost stole it) $275.00, gun, 3 mags, 3 boxes of ammo and Bianchi leather paddle holster. And I love it. Dont know if it came out of the factory this way but it has a polished finish..
    Shoots great.
    I had bought a 4006 first year they came out and had quite a few stovepipes with it. Sold it ! 2nd year

Attached Files:

7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what is the finish on that
  8. CanuckPete

CanuckPete New Member

Its a stainless steel gun that has been polished .
  9. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

It really just depends on what caliber you want. There isn't any real difference between the two pistols themselves. My preference for a pistol like that would be a 9mm. Your probably not going to carry it or use as a nightstand gun (no reason you couldn't though).

They are cheap enough right now that you could just do the easy thing and get both. You wouldn't be mad at yourself and they are only going to go up in value.