Which would be best for HD?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by GoodOl'12gauge, Oct 1, 2008.

1. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Im looking at a glock 17 and a glock 21. I like them both but what would work best? My son would use if he needed and so would my girl. I like the .45 acp but it might be to much for her.
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Either in my opinion would do the job well. The .45 will be more effective, but only if they can practice enough to be proficient with the heavier recoil.
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

What Tranter said +1.
  4. GoodOl'12gauge

They would be able to practice but unfortunatly I have to worry about druggys breaking in not robbers. So if they need to shoot more than they could control the nine better. My son could use my 12 gauge but my woman wont
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've found that the felt recoil of a .45 in a heavier gun (Ruger P-90 is the specific one I'm thinking of) is less than a 9mm in a polymer gun.

That said, have you looked at the Taurus Judge? It's a .45 Colt revolver that will also shoot .410 shells. Remember, the old .45 Colt still gives performance very similar to the .45 ACP.
  6. Sometimes that is a difficult proposition, especially with some woman. At least I have found that to be true. I too would choose the .45 over the 9mm, but I have encountered a few for whom the .45 is simply too much gun. In those cases, the 9mm, or even a .38 in a steel frame revolver, is usually a better choice.
  7. Deathbunny

Deathbunny Former Guest

The answer is.....either. Ha! Seriously. If it's for home defense, the gun you want is the one you can shoot well. I'd say get everybody together, head to a range, rent both, and try 'em out. See what feels best, then go with that one. Hell, you're better off with a .32 that you can drive tacks with, than a .45 that scares you (or whoever shoots it).
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Perhaps its worth saying that it is the responsibility of anyone using a gun for self defence to ensure they can use it to a reasonable standard. Not only to ensure the best chance against an attacker, but to reduce the chances of injuring or killing bystanders.
  9. GoodOl'12gauge

Camping josh, i have to cimmaron .45 colts and a uberti 1866 and winchester 1892 in .45 colt, but my son prefers an auto and katrina hates them
  10. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

My wife likes my Glock 17 and can shoot it well. However, she shoots her 380 even better. Which ever you choose load it with great ammo. Her 380 is loaded with Corbon DPX as is my 44 and 40.