Which would you buy and why?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Gun Geezer, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

I am looking to buy myself a Christmas present but can't decide. So if cost were not a factor which one would you choose and why?
    Rohrbaugh 9mm
    Barretta Nano 9mm
    Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11 9mm

I am looking for: reliability, pocket carryness, capacity, longevity, did I say reliability and stopping power?
    I am not considering the Kimber Solo because it appears to have all the usual 1911 safety's and I prefer the striker fired, double action platform.
    The Kel-Tec might be the smallest and lightest but from what I have read, it is a crapshoot for reliability. The Rohrbaugh is small, light and reliable but I've read some articles questioning its longevity. Also, I'm not real fond of its mag release. I'm really leaning toward the Barretta Nano because its modular design makes it a brick and I have not read any negative reports about reliability. I especially like the ambi- mag. release as I am a southpaw. Size is the only issue I have as it appears to be a bit longer, heavier and wider than the others. I presently rotate pocket carry between a J-frame S&W and a P3AT. I've had no issues with my Kel-Tec but I'd like the power and availability of 9mm. A little help please!
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Not to make your decision any harder, but how about the Ruger LC9?

Edit: just re-read your thread and noted you being a southpaw. The LC9 may not be the best for you because it's safety is not ambi.
    So to your question-if cost was not a factor, then I would get the solo, for the exact reasons you do not want it (being 1911 ish). I chose the LC9 because cost was a factor and I didn't want to worry about leaving an expensive gun in my glove box when I couldn't carry it inside.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

I'm a big Ruger fan. I have a Redhawk .44 mag, a Single Six Convertible, an LCR .357 mag. and I hope to get a new 1911. Somehow, I guess I didn't think the LC9 was in the same size range as the others. I thought it was more like a Glock-26 size.
  4. Grizz

Grizz Member

You don't like the glocks? I am partial to them, I carry a glock 23, but if you can handle no external saftey you cant beat the reliability, and accuracy.
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I have a PF-9 that I have had for 2yrs with no problems. It is no fun to shoot but it carries well.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I got a new pf-9 I will sell you for 269.00 shipped to your ffl. And a new ruger lc9 for 350.00 to your ffl. Oh yea, p11 for 245.00
  7. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

I carry the PF-9 daily. Never have had an issue with it. When I bought it (used) I promptly put 300 rounds of ball through it and a box of my particular SD ammo. Not one hiccup.

I also have and carry the P-11. Never had an issue with that either, had it far longer.

Both reliable and easy to carry concealed.

I think the Rohrbaugh is overpriced, and the Beretta is ugly.
  8. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

The first mag is fun, after that, it can get painful though. :D
  9. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

No,No, I love Glocks. I have a G-26 and a G-30SF. I'm looking for a SMALL 9mm. for pocket carry.
  10. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

I like the streamlined look of the Barretta and the Walther. If money was no object why wouldn't you not like to have either of these? They have different models to choose from and have been the icons of handguns for a long time. Bersa, also makes a great compact.

The Walther PPK always makes me drool. But, I can't afford it. So, I bought the Hi-Point c9, 9mm that is more in my price range and at $104.00 how can a guy get mad. Also, I am impressed by their simplistic approach of their design. I am a big guy and I find the weight just right and like the feel and heft in my hand. The 10 round mags make it a whole lot better in fire power than the wheel guns that I have always had in the past.

"Always wear your Hi-Point proudly."
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Of those, the Kel-Tec. Never heard of the Roughbaraugh and I think the Beretta is ugly. Plus I have heard the Kel-Tec is pretty reliable.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I traded for one of the Kel-tec PF9's earlier this year. It was a good looking pistol and easy to carry and conceal. The problem with mine was that I just could not get it to shoot where I wanted it (it just wasn't accurate for me) and I sold it within a month. I have never owned a Solo but I do now own and have owned several Beretta's and I feel that you really can't go wrong with them. Yeah, I think the Solo is kind of ugly, too, but I don't have any doubts that it is a fine pistol.
  13. Grizz

Grizz Member

Ahhh I gotcha
  14. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

I purchased a stainless Interarms Walther PPK in the 80's. It jammed when I racked the first rnd. Had to take it to a gunsmith to clear the jam. He said there was a burr on the feed ramp. I was never able to shoot a complete mag. without at least 1 FTF. It was a beautiful gun so I kept it until last year when I just got tired of looking at it taking up room in my safe and got tired of hearing gunsmith's tell me there was nothing wrong with it. Sorry no Walthers for me. If they can't fix it, they ain't going to get me again.
  15. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I like the Kahr for a pocket sized 9mm, but you aren't going to have the ambi mag catch.

I have seen some issues with Kel-Tecs that I don't care for, so I would probably stay away from them personally, but I know others have had a lot of luck with theirs. I have never seen or handled the Rohrbaugh or the Barretta Nano, and I don't know anyone who has, so I can't say much about them one way or the other.
  16. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

you find that your baby Glock is too big for the type of pocket carry you want to do?
  17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Give the Kahr CM9 a good look over. Small and still fairly light,thin and very controlable and can be bought for in the looow 400 dollars range.

Today any gun you buy could give you problems but for me I have not found that to be true yet. I did carry a pf-9 for 2 1/2 years and worked just fine . the kahrs are just plane easier to shoot and control.

When a 9mm get as light as the pf-9 it is harder to control and then design helps more.
  18. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Kahr CW 9, but if you want stopping power CW 45. If you want smaller yet there's the CM 9.
  19. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

Florida weather dictates shorts and a tee shirt and that's as dressy as it gets. My G-26 is a favorite of mine and a great shooter but I don't consider it a pocket gun. I have been rotating between a P3AT and a S&W 342. Anything larger or heavier looks like I'm carrying a lead anchor in my pocket. I love my KLCR but it flops when I walk screaming "gun".

If I could dress layered with a tee shirt and light jacket or button-down shirt over a tee, I would carry my EMP IWB or G-30SF, but going in stores or in the heat of the afternoon I would have to start peeling clothes or sweat like a pig. Did I mention I'm a tad over weight? It's not a pretty sight, but at my age I avoid as many mirrors as I can.
  20. north tex

north tex Member

You need to check out the "Tractiongrips" web site. Made mine much more comfortable. I do about 70 rounds per session now:D