Which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by fastev, Feb 22, 2011.

1. fastev

fastev New Member

I realize this topic has been pretty much beaten to death, but I am having trouble finding some specifics. I am ready to buy my first 1911 and have narrowed my choices down to two selections-- either a Springfield Armory PX9152LP Loaded black stainless Target, or a Kimber Eclipse Target II. Both have the features I want out of the box, and from what I read here it's best to buy the most 1911 I can afford right from the get-go.
    I will be buying a .22lr conversion for either as I enjoy plinking with my .22's I currently have and want to do the same with this; I also want the larger caliber so no .22lr 1911's. I am leaning a bit towards the SA at this point I think. I have heard of some reliability and quality control issues with the Kimbers that has me a little hesitant, and the fact that I cen get the Springfield for a few hundred less. However, being a sucker for matching parts I like that I can get a Kimber conversion. Thoughts? Thanks!!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I think the biggest factor to consider would be how important the 22 conversion is to you. I've never owned one, but I have several friends with them and they can be cantankerous. I have a feeling that a Kimber conversation might be a little less troublesome on an actual Kimber 1911. Could be wrong, but usually things tend to work better when you are using parts from the same manufacturer. It seems like I always run into problems when I start mix and matching.

But I've also seen complaints regarding the finish on the Eclipse, more specifically the satin areas are said to be easy to scratch. Whether that is significant or not will depend on how you take care of your guns and what your intended purpose is for this gun.
  3. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

My only thoughts are those are both nice 1911's, your not going to go wrong with either but if your set on getting the conversion kit then I would stick with SA because it will most likely be fitted the best for its own.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

You won't hear that from me. I've seen more NIB springfields with stupid little issues way more than kimber. Taurus even has them beat. Every now and then I'll see a kimber with a feed problem. Very minor stuff. Springfield all of a sudden can't fit a barrel correctly and the actions are rough feeling compared to what they used to be and compared to others.
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I'm partial to the Kimbers. My experience with customer service has been great with them and the gun has been very good other than 1 issue. I had my external extractor come off while shooting. I called Kimber and the only questions they asked is where they needed to send a new one to and if I was using shok-buffs(apparently they tend to cause it when in use). I think the Kimber conversion kit may actually be made by somebody else, just with the kimber name on it. I forget who I heard made them, but it was the best .22 kit maker at the time. This may not be accurate though.

I wouldnt shy away from the Springfeild though. It's a good gun as well, but in my opinion, it ranks lower than the Kimber. But just remember, it's all just my opinion. Hold both guns and shoot them if you can and make your own choice and you wont regret it.
  6. Sooner1911

Sooner1911 New Member

I have the Kimber .22 kit that I use on my Grand Raptor II. No problems in either .45 or .22 mode. I would take the Kimbers have issues posts with a grain of salt. They produce and sell more 1911s than most if not all of the other makers. A 2% problem rate on 100,000 guns is likely to appear much more frequently on forums than a 2% problem rate on 10,000 guns. (I am using 2% as an example, not stating that the rate is anywhere near 2%). I have many friends with Kimbers and their experience is like mine. No issues, ever. I just bought a Stainless Target II Custom and expect it to be just as reliable as my Grand Raptor II.

I am not knocking Springfield as I don't own one, but if it were me, I would buy the one that I liked the best. If you are unlucky enough to get a bad one, either Springfield or Kimber, then customer service should deal with your issues. When researching my S&W 1911, I read all of the posts regarding the dreaded external extractor, but ended up buying the gun due to the quality fit and finish. No issues so far and if I have any in the future, I expect that S&W will stand behind it. I guess I am just a glass half full kind of guy. Hope you get a great shooter.Let us know what you decide and how it shoots.
  7. DGG!

DGG! New Member

While technically not a true 1911 it is a John Browning designed "Improved" 1911 with the three things you want in any 1911. Reliability, reliability, and reliability.

HK USP 45.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_USP

You can buy a good .22 pistol for not much more than the cost of conversion kit and then you will have two guns to shoot.
  8. fastev

fastev New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I just picked up a Ruger MarkIII .22 pistol for a song so the conversion is probably out.
    I looked at a Kimber Custom II today as well. Not really what i am looking for, but what surprised me was a plastic MSH. Is that normal? Still, it seemed like a very noce pistol, and from what I understand, that Eclipse is quite a step up. Hoping to get to check out the SA soon, a fairly local shop is getting a couple in for use as demo rentals at their range.
    Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. I have a Loaded Springfield 1911A1 parkerized and I've been very satisfied with it so far. The Kimber is also really good, but will cost you more.

It's all preference IMO.
  10. ivarr

ivarr New Member

kimber w/ 18,000 rounds through it. ed brown barrel at 12,000

[​IMG]
  11. ivarr

ivarr New Member

that pic was at about 2000 rounds though