WhiteHouse101: Fun Facts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

So I was working on some homework and I knew the answer to "Шестнадцатый американский президент," was Abraham Lincoln (it was either that or Yuri Gagarin left as possible answers :rolleyes:) but wasn't quite sure what number that was so figured the quick way was to look up which president Lincoln was. Anyway, I ended up on this page (in case you were wondering how I got there) and noticed some oddities (pasted below the complete list).

---------------------------

ODDITIES

And I bet George Washington once took a ***** in the woods? Who cares?

It's always possible that I am wrong... but I was always under the impression that because the "S" didn't stand for anything, it was improper to place a period after the "S", making him not "Harry S. Truman," but rather "Harry S Truman." Semantics sure, but this is our freaking White House's website.

Though the last entry is close (about amending the Constitution), if you were asked on a test to pick "which one doesn't belong," it would be a pretty tough choice huh? The first, about Obama himself, is unspectacular to say the least, but at least relevant. I hate to even point this one out because obviously in any other circle, claiming this doesn't belong on the "Fun Facts" page about the White House would get me labeled a racist :rolleyes:.

EDIT: I did do a little research, hoping to catch Obama's people of sliding those two in there. But the page was a complete redesign after Bush and no such list existed on the old site. Curiously enough it is much harder to find the link to get it in Spanish on Obama's version!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
  2. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

Good post and of course ,interesting history bits of sort.

I have always felt Truman deserves more credit than he was allowed with history.

I recall reading of one instance where his daughter ( on a singing performance ) received a blasting review by an entertainment critic in a DC paper. Truman responded in print as well , that if any similiar reports were published or infered , he would come down and punch the individual " in the nose " . This while in office....and of course, the private struggle between he and MacArthur is reading of pure quality.
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

This is the one I found odd...

Did you know that George H.W. Bush played baseball? Neato! Of course, that's much more important than the fact that he was a pilot in World War II. :confused:
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

That's what I was always told. I had a US History teacher in 11th Grade that ponded that point repeatedly.

But you know how the revisionists are, with their changing history and all :rolleyes:
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Very interesting, Vlad!
  6. kevinleif37

kevinleif37 New Member

having worked in the House, the one really cool thing i found interesting, was that in the Rosevelt Room (room across from the Oval-it's used as a meeting room), the flags of the armed forces are lined next to each other in order of when they were formed: first two start with the President's flag, followed by the VP's, next comes the Army, then Marine's, then Navy, then Air Force and lastly the Coast Guard...the Coast Guard comes last (even though historically formed before the Air Force) because it now falls under Homeland Security, but in times of war will be placed before the Air Force flag because when the country is at war, they are then considered the "armed forces" and not part of Homeland.
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Founded by Alexander Hamilton as the Revenue Cutter Service (Coast Guard) on August 4, 1790, it lays claim to being the United States' oldest continuous seagoing service.

The Continental Navy was disbanded and we had no Navy for nearly 10 years
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

This is an example of why I give Obama a "D". We still have a Navy :rolleyes:.

EDIT: I realized you could read that multiple ways. lol.
  9. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Another fun fact... There are more pricks in the press room than a family of porcupines with a new litter. :D
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Not just the press room, but the whole house:p:p:p