Whitetail 270 WBY Mag or 444 Marlin?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by ninjatoth, Aug 10, 2009.

?

Which Gun to Use for whitetail deer?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2009.
  1. .270 Weatherby Mag

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. .444 Marlin

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1
  2. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Yeah, as I said before, either will do the job, but since the .444 is yours and the .270 is not, I would say go with the .444 and use it, practice with it, etc. No point borrowing a rifle if you own one that will do the job.
  3. omercityman

omercityman New Member

Your only going to kill a deer. Either will do the job. The 30.30 has killed more deer than any other gun. Its great to have all the knock down power but in the end the most important thing is shot placement. I've killed alot of deer with a .22 . Shot placement is where it is at. If your shooting 3" to the left then move your sights and make it dead on. I have a Marlin .444 and have used it on a few deer. Shot placement is critical with this gun as you would not want to hit a shoulder or hind quarter, if meat is what your after. One day while walking out to my blind a saw one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen. With my .444 in hand and the buck about 350 yards out , I had to watch him walk away. Shot placement, use the .270, you never know where you will see that wall hanger.
  4. fyimo

fyimo New Member

Even large whitetail Deer are killed fairly easily and both rifles will certainly do the job. I think it boils down to whether you are comfortable with the Marlin or not and if you are I'd use it.

There are several great rounds for hunting deer and it all depends on the terrain and the distance of the average shot taken. If you were in an area where 200 yard shots are possible then the 270 Mag would have a distinct advantage. If the average shot is less then 100 yards then I think they would both be fairly equal because both will drive a bullet through the deer and expand correctly.

I hunt Whitetails with a 243 or 25-06 and they are both excellent rounds. For Mule Deer in Colorado I use a 270 win or a 30-06.