Who carries a full size 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Hollowpoint

Hollowpoint New Member

I have a rock island 1911A1 that I'm planning on carrying once I get the new barrel bushing fitted. I bought it used and it had a compensator barrel bushing on it. At first I thought I'll deal with it and replace it later if I don't like it, plus the R.I. was only 350. Well later came last week when I really wanted to start carrying it instead of my judge, the only problem is the compensator looks ridiculous. So I ordered a new one and it just came in this morning. Now I'm just waiting on the shop to open up so I can go get the work done on it.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What I carry. A Jim Clark Custom.

Attached Files:

3. Martimus

Martimus New Member

No full size EDC for me!

I live in Arid-zona so we don't wear coats much out here. My EDC weapons are a SA EMP, a M&P Shield, and a Colt GM380. If I wanted something with a bit more barrel I'd likely step up to a RIA CS or my old stand-by, a Star BKS.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

Welcome to the forum! I also live in a part of the country that is hot, and humid! Most of the year I'm in basketball shorts, T shirt, and flip flops, or sandels. Still, I carry a 1911A with no problems, and a .38 for a BUG.
  5. usabilityfirst

usabilityfirst New Member

Regularly Carry an all-steel Colt Commander

I don't carry a 5" 1911, but I do carry the Colt Combat Commander which has the same primary carry liability as the government model -- weight. The shorter barrel helps but it is still a heavy pistol.

After trying five different holsters I had all but given up carrying this pistol comfortably. It sagged low even when using a pistol belt and required constant adjustments.

I purchased the Texas Heritage IWB holster from Tucker Gunleather and it has solved the problem for me. This holster distributes the weight farther along on the belt, and encourages the holster to hug the body. It is extremely comfortable, secure, and light-weight.

Any holster that has widely spaced clips or belt loops and is flexible should accomplish the same goal, but I am very pleased with the Tucker holster and highly recommend it. For me the solution was a good quality pistol belt and a holster that spread the weight out farther along the belt.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

A good thick belt and a quality leather holster will allow you to carry any gun of your choosing. I like the commander with a scandium frame for carry the best, but dont limit myself to any certain weight. I have just gotten a holster made for my sig scorpion and am starting to carry it some. With the right gear, you dont know the difference. It stays snug and tight to your side and doesnt move one bit. If you are struggling with carrying a sidearm, you dont have the right gear. But, after so many years of carry, it is just natural for me anyhow.
  7. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

I recently purchased a "Wilderness" Tactical belt (wilderness.com), and use it with the Don Hume JIT Slide or my Fobus paddle holster. I can now carry a 5 incher with no problem. I am carrying my Mil-Spec S.S. Springer or the SR1911 almost all the time now with ease. I have full confidence in either one of those pistols should the SHTF.
  8. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I also carry mine only when I am wearing clothing that will keep it concealed. I have a 1930's .32 revolver that is very small. I carry this when it's too hot to wear clothing that conceals a 1911 :)
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

When I carry it is a full sized Kimber custom II.
  10. Double D

I have a leather guy that makes my belts and they are thicker than most any belts on the market. Thats not saying the belts on the market are not stout enough, just that the thicker, the better. Only problem is you have to stretch some holster slots out to get them to accept the belt, but I have a piece of wood that I slide thru the slot and open the hole up a little and make it work. By the time you get it on there and tighten it down, you can carry any full sized gun you want and it wont move a bit. Its nothing to carry a full size 1911.
  11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

It's my first full-size EDC.

I like nothing better than the 1911A1.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  12. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i recently aquired my cpl but i have been carrying my R1 in a galco king tuk holster. great holster for a gun that size
  13. 45silverback

45silverback New Member

Hello all, Just joined. I stumbled onto this forum while researching some reload data. Looks like a nice diverse (firearms speaking) forum. I hope to contribute as much as I can and learn a bunch from you gents.

As to the OP's question. I carry a Combat Commander pretty much all the time with no problems. I have carried my full size and really didn't see any difference in comfort, I just like the Colt better, and I shoot the Commander length better.

I usually carry IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck on a Beltman belt. The key to it is a good belt and holster. If it's cold out and I'm going to be staying in my coat I'll go OWB in a Bianchi Carry lock, Mod 82 I think. A decent holster that you don't have to take out a loan and wait 6 months for.

I'm a fair sized boy, 5'10 about 225. I carry at about 3:30.

VR,
    Harry
    MSgt USAF (Ret)
  14. carver

carver Moderator

Welcome aboard! And thanks for your service!
  15. Double D

Hello 45silverback, I am with ya on the commander size, I think that a commander with a scandium frame (like my e-series smith) is the absolute best formula in CC but I dont limit myself to only that. I have carried for nearly 30 years and have carried everything you can think of (besides a glock, I hate them) and have always gone back to the 1911 platform.