Who carries a full size 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jun 23, 2012.

1. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

My choice is my Ruger p345 in a owb nylon blackhawk or a bianchi shoulder rig. I like both but for speed i prefer the blackhawk more. Im buying a springfield 9mm next week to see if it carrys better and i can feed it cheaper than the 45 .
  2. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I forgot , welcome to TFF all you new members. hope you enjoy yourself here.
  3. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

When in nam (not now of course) I carried a full size M1911 as a back up to the M-60, Mk-19. Something very comforting about the feel and the viets did not like looking down the muzzel. For checking dark places like below decks in sampan and motorized junks it was good too. Shotgun too unwieldly in those tight spaces. I like the concept if somebody jumped me and I could not get off a shot I could pistol whip the SOB and THEN shoot him/her. Viets had women soldiers as well.
  4. fyrfghter1983

fyrfghter1983 New Member

I carry a full size RI 1911 every day and have had no problems, in the warmer weather i do carry it on the hip though.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would have to completely change my wardrobe in Florida to carry full size 1911....it's just hot lately and never mind the summer.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wear the same clothes every day and carry whatever I want in florida. I guess it depends on what you do for a living..
  7. 45silverback

45silverback New Member

I live in south Georgia, and actually I'm from Plant City Fla. I carry no matter the weather. With the Crossbreed Supertuck you can easily conceal under a T-shirt that's loose fitting. The thing really is that comfortable. If I'm gonna be carrying all day I1'll usually put on a wife beater between me and the gun and the T-shirt over that.

Check them out at http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

And no... I am not associated with them in any way other than I have one and really like it... Been useing it going on 3 years now.
  8. Double D

I have a crossbreed and they are great holsters but I dont like IWB carry so I dont use it. I have used several types of holsters but always go back to the OWB leather style. I am just glad there are options for everyone and every situation. There is no reason to ever be unarmed.
  9. 45silverback

45silverback New Member

I go OWB if I'm going to be wearing a coat or jacket and know I'm not going to need to take it off. but the CB is comfortable enough that I have worn it all day while on the motorcycle during the summer. I'm a fairly beefy boy so IWB probably works better for me than most.

Amother good option IMO is to utilize a vest of some sort. I use an EOTAC field vest. It's functional, has a bunch of pockets that come in handy for all kinds of things, and doesn't have that real "gunny" look like on of the "shoot me first" tactical vests. Also, when on the bike, it just kind of blends right in. Even looks pretty sylish with jeans and what-not.
  10. Double D

Well, thanks to Sam, I started carrying my full size E series smith & wesson 1911 because at the BBQ he handed me a real nice leather holster for a full size that I guess he wasnt using and I havent been carrying full size much lately but I think I am going to start again. Like I have said dozens of times, with the proper gear its easy to carry whatever you want to carry. Thanks Sam, nice holster.
  11. Grey Owl

Grey Owl New Member

I carry a full size in a Tommy Theis IWB holster. I forget I am wearing it. I use an Origianl Instructor Belt C.S.M in black. Its stiff enough and I love it. It keeps my full size Springfield Armory Loaded 45 acp, one or two extra magazines on my left side and my pants up. I cant carry where I work but other than that I have a full size on me at all times.
  12. tnhawk

tnhawk New Member

I'll carry a full size 1911 during colder weather, but an EMP 40 or Kimber Ultra CDP II during warm weather.