Who is considered the best marksman in the world

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by CrudeBehavior, May 21, 2012.

1. CrudeBehavior

CrudeBehavior New Member

in competitive shooter, who are some of the rare guys, that can be argued to be the best in the world?
  2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Angus Hobdell is quite good, top of the heap,(also hilariously funny in person), but the difference between the best of the best can be measured by a hair's breadth, and it can come down to who's having a good day and who isn't.
    Rob Leatham is another top notch shooter I've met, heck of a nice guy.
  3. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I am biased but one of my good friends that I grew up with, Carl Bernosky, has won his 9th NRA National High Power rifle championship last year. He first went out to Camp Perry around 1976 and what makes his 9 titles so impressive is that he took several years off and has actually only competed in 17 of the events in the past 25 yrs. We called him Junior growing up as in the group of 9 or 10 close friends I hung out with, he was the youngest. Great guy. He also does some custom gun work and makes some awesome stocks. (His grandfather was quite a woodworker who built furniture from scratch) http://www.carlbernosky.com/
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

+1
    It hast to be the people who win the assorted championships; since one's idea of "marksman[ship]" can differ from another.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Who is the best?

With which firearm?
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i nominate shooter45 he's been picking off spammers here at huge ranges constantly , been glad to work as a spotter for him on occasion
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Sniper would have to say white feather Carlos Halfcock rip.
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

OK, fair enough. Here is part of an article from last year,
    Team Hornady members Doug Koenig and Carl Bernosky dominated the field of international competitive shooters at the 7th NRA World Action Pistol Championships held at Blacktown Pistol Club in Sydney, Australia. Setting a world record score of 1920-188x, Doug Koenig added a Gold medal to his recent June NRA Bianchi Cup win, and Carl Bernosky, (still hot from his record breaking performance at Camp Perry in August as High Civilian in the High Power Rifle Championships) won the Silver medal with a score of 1920-181x.
  9. 782 guy

782 guy New Member

It has to be Chuck Connors.
  10. skullfr

skullfr New Member

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Shooting right now I would have to go with Jerry Miculek. I have watched this man SMOKE guys shooting 1911's with a revolver. He can shoot rifles as well as shotguns too...
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I've gotta agree with cpttango30, Jerry Miculek is an all-around with most firearms.
    Love watching him and like his speed!
  13. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Best Marksman in the world?

There probably is no such thing. There are lots of excellent markspersons both well and widely known, and only locally known, or barely known at all, because their work involves shooting people.

Last year I was rather astonished to learn that one such long deceased local marksman (with a range named after him 40 years ago) still has a bigger than life reputation, that grows larger over time.

There are three major divisions of shooting activities. They are formal competition, exhibition shooting, and actual combat shooting. All three are based on the same principle of "TRIGGER CONTROL"; but from there, they are often quite different, and require different skill sets.

A top level shooter in one arena, like formal competition, is rarely so in the arena of exhibition shooting. The converse is also true.

Actual combat shooting is often a stressed emergency, or quickly becomes one after the first shot is fired. Some person or persons is/are doing his/her or their very best to kill you. For most persons who have never "been there" it is quite different than shooting at paper targets or steel plates; especially the first time you experience it.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  14. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

^yup, gotta separate categories. I also believe in the 'any given Sunday' rule.

but Jerry Miculek and Todd Jarrett are my favorite pistol guys, I know Jerry especially does a lot of rifle and other stuff too.

Tom Knapp can shoot clays like no other (Brad Flannigan is on his heels)

Bob Munden comes to mind too
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

K.C. Eusbio is an amazing pistol shooter and won a world championship in the open div at 15 years old I think. That kid can flat SHOOT.

He hold 3 records in the Steel Challenge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Challenge

I'm at work and can't get to youtube. I will post some videos when I get home later.
  16. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

Ummm, Hathcock, Carlos Hathcock. Don't cut the guy short there....... :D

PFFT! Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) all the way!
  17. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with cctango.
  18. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Jerry is the man.....................
  19. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    This is the post I would have made!:D
  20. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    A lot of people have become double distinguished but only a few are triple distinguished. Anybody who can shoot master in 3 or more classes and win triple distinguished may not be the very top in any particular field but they will give you a hard time with any gun they pick up. My vote is anybody who is triple distinguished belongs on the list.