Who is considered the best marksman in the world

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by CrudeBehavior, May 21, 2012.

1. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

Ummm, Hathcock, Carlos Hathcock. Don't cut the guy short there....... :D

PFFT! Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) all the way!
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with cctango.
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Jerry is the man.....................
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    This is the post I would have made!:D
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    A lot of people have become double distinguished but only a few are triple distinguished. Anybody who can shoot master in 3 or more classes and win triple distinguished may not be the very top in any particular field but they will give you a hard time with any gun they pick up. My vote is anybody who is triple distinguished belongs on the list.
  6. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

The one with the MOST current KIA's..........
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  8. karlrudin

karlrudin Member

How about a man that shoots several different types of rifles, rimfire, hunter class, and national match and is still winning at camp perry, David Tubbs.
  9. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

People who win with different gun types impress me. The OP did say a competition shooter BTW. I know a guy who has set a bunch of records with a rimfire rifle and a rimfire pistol. His name is Joe Friedrich. He shot several perfect scores on ARA targets (the first to do so) using a rimfire rifle then did it with a rimfire pistol where he was again the first to ever do that (and AFAIK the only one). He stopped shooting competitions because he didn't have much left to prove really.

But then there's guys like Bob Munden. He's actually an exhibition shooter but he does amazing things with a handgun.

And this question really needs to be narrowed down a good bit. No one is the best at everything. Guys like Friedrich might have done great things in certain types of competition but there are others who have done great things in multiple areas too. I mentioned Joe because you said he needed to stand out in different fields and Joe does that. But the truth is the difference between the best shooter in any given field and the worst competitior in that field would not be as much as all that. Lots of people in this world can shoot very, very well including some people who show up on these boards. I won like 14 out of 16 competitions on another board but that certainly doesn't put me in the real of "world's best" at anything. l'm not even close. Yet the best in the world probably wouldn't shoot a whole lot better than me in certain areas. I mean at 50 yards 1/8th of an inch of difference is going to be a huge amount for average scores but we're still only talking 1/8th of an inch. I'm certainly not saying I'm the best or even close to being the best at anything. I know that ain't true.
  10. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

OK so I will be a "broken record" but Carl Bernosky won his 10th NRA National High Power Championship this August at Camp Perry. This goes with his Pitsol Championship and is impressive when you consider he is only around 55 yrs old and took almost 10 yrs off from competetion a while ago. Congrats on your 10th and your affiliation with Hornady ammo.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Al Toepperwein
  12. B27

B27 New Member

The shooting disciplines are far too varied and distinct for there to be any one best.

But, in bullseye target one discipline is considered to be the hardest.

The guns are all capable of putting shot after shot through the same hole.
    The target bull is only fractionally larger than the .177 projectile.

Olympic 10m air pistol.
  13. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Last I heard Tubb has 11 that is 2 more.