WHO IS THE Best H&R Revolver Gunsmith in U.S.A.

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Manassas H&R, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Manassas H&R

Manassas H&R New Member

Who is the Best H&R Revolver Gunsmith in U.S.A.?

In particular I am referring to the 1970's, 1973-1978 H&R Defender Top Break .38 S&W.

The arm I need repaired has been shot under 200 rounds, mint shape, family heirloom, with sentimental value. The top-break suddenly will not close. It is as if the tolerances have changed...

Hot round?
    Shot with top break partially open?
    Unsure...

But the top break latch will not close down and it is as if the mechanism is hitting the two tangs the break piece mates into.

I am presently checking into the Pistolsmiths Guild of America, Bernie Hostrop in Warrenton, Virginia, etc. Shipping is fine. I am simply looking for an expert who specializes in H&R revolvers.
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Anyone that works on one.
    No kidding.
  3. Wildalaska

Wildalaska Former Guest

Truly. Most gunsmiths wont. They are a nightmare
  4. Mark K

Mark K New Member

I have a 1978 model 925 (what the defender became), it's a pretty simple revolver, and quite stout, if you want to post a pic, I may be able to help. Were you shooting it when this happened? and if so what were you shooting?
    [​IMG]
  5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Where are you located at?
  6. Manassas H&R

Manassas H&R New Member

Original owner
    Less than 200 total rounds in its lifetime

recently at the range
    20 maybe 25 rounds were shot
    MagTech standard brand new ammo from Midway
    Would not close
    possibly shot with top partially open?
    A rouge round?

I took it to a smith and he said it is ruined and out of tolerance
    he referred to the shaft that ejects the spent casings and pushed it up and down slowly rotating until it actually caught as if it was dragging
    He said that anyone who claims that they can fix it would be simply incompetent and to retire it, take some pictures, and hang it on the wall...

Location is moot but NOVA Northern Virginia
  7. Mark K

Mark K New Member

Horse hockey!

Every part on that gun can be replaced if it can be found and you are willing to pay for it. I would like to know what exactly is "out of tolerance" ? It could be a $2 pin or a $75 barrel assy, I want details! :~)
  8. Manassas H&R

Manassas H&R New Member

Crane, ejector rod, who knows, but he said it was a great gun and looked nice..I am sure if he simply wanted money he'd be happy to charge me...
  9. Diamondback

Diamondback Well-Known Member

I fixed similar problem for a customer on an old S&W 'lemon squeezer. Open pistol, remove cylinder and place top strap on alevel surface. The top strap and latch on the lemon squeezer were slightly warped. A couple of taps with a leather mallet or brass hammer solved the problem.
  10. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I wish I could see that revolver so that I might understand why it's unrepairable. If a gunsmith says the value of the gun is not worth the hours it will take to fix it, then I can understand his point. But to say it cannot be repaired is hard to accept.

It seems to me that a large number of gunsmiths don't like working on revolvers in general, and H&R/IJ revolvers in particular. The late model H&R is not such a big deal to repair. If the parts are not available, and you have a gun with great sentimental value, it's not hard to find another one and strip it for parts to fix the family's sentimental keep sake.

BTW Diamondback, I like those old 'lemon squeezers' In fact, I'm in the process of restoring one right now.