Who makes a quality Rifle anymore?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by joshj, Sep 23, 2011.

1. joshj

joshj New Member

I have been in the market for a 300 win mag rifle for a while. I had always heard that Browning was really good but when I was at the store and handled a new x-bolt, it felt super cheap. I did a bit of research and found that they are actually made in china. What garbage. I want a rifle that feels like and actually will last more than a lifetime. I don't know a bunch about rifles, does anybody have any suggestions?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

X-bolts are made in Japan not China.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Aint nuttn wrong with a jap made X bolt. Theyll shoot better than most shooters are capable of.

I recommend you grab a savage 110.
  6. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I shoot a lot of Remington 700s with no complaints!
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

savage
    SAVAGE
    SAVAGE
    BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK
  8. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Japanese still have something called pride of workmanship, products they turn out will meet or beat anything from any other country, you will not find a more detail oriented, "do it right or not at all" people anywhere, and it doesnt matter if its fixing lunch or building a 160 mph train, and they do it for self respect, and pride in a job well done,

There was a time when made in Japan carried connotations of being low quality or cheaply made, this was in the 50's and 60's, and it was because we nearly bombed them into the stone age and the ability to refine raw materials was severly hindered for many years,
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. I think some of their best work in firearms shines with the jap made Weatherbys. fit and finish is second to none for a production grade firearm.

And they currently manufacter the fastest production automobile. The Nissan GT-R35, a 520 horse moster with all wheel drive. Itll spank Top of the line vettes, Vipers, lambos, ferraris, lotus, etc and does it with one of the smallest engines. A twin turbo 3.8L V6

heres the specs.. ME want one
    Horsepower: 530 PS (390 kW; 520 hp) at 6400 rpm
    Torque: 612 N·m (451 ft·lbf) at 3200-6200 rpm, (632 N·m (466 ft·lbf) with high-gear 'boost' on SpecV only)
    Drag coefficient: 0.26* (~10% improvement in downforce)*
    MSRP: US$89,950 (Premium) or $95,100 (Black Edition
  10. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I agree on the savages, can't go wrong on the price either. Sako makes a great gun. I've always been a fan of Ruger too. Japan can make a nice gun. They may not have the pride in workmanship that many speak of but they are consistent in their output. My dad has 2 Browning shot guns both made in Japan, both are fitted very well and have kept their looks and mechanical tolerances very well over the years
  11. H-D

H-D Active Member

I love my jap made Browning A-bolt .30-06 and it's little brother a .22mag a-bolt they shoot great the -06 is dead-nits with 130 and 150 grain boolits and its still ok with the 180's I can ring the gong at 300 yds no prob My dad has had a few of them in diff calibers and a friend has one in .260 rem... they have all shot great, also I have never had a bad remington 700 and I hear great things about the savage rifles tikka makes a nice bolt gun too , Rugers look good I have never played with one before, the majority of my bolt guns are Mausers and I love them (none of them are made in the USA) The X-bolt didnt seem cheap to me a little too light for me to want to shoot it in a magnum caliber but I hunt mostly with a 6.5x55 swedish mauser I'll leave the super heavy hitters to someone who has something bigger to shoot than the dog sized deer we have here in Mississippi...
  12. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

+1 for savage
  13. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I've got a few Savages and have no complaints.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CZ 550 for 30-06 based cartridges and CZ 527 for the smaller stuff.
  15. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

The CZ line is a good choice but like Jack 404 stated ''you get what you pay for''
  16. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You can get a centerfire CZ (527 or 550) for the same money or less than a similar Ruger, Remington, or Browning will cost ya.

I'm not real partial to any one brand, but as already stated Savage is probably the best bang for your buck.
    Howa is another bargain accuracy machine...oh yeah, they made all those Japanese Weatherbys too. :D
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  17. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Well, what's your budget? There are many quality rifles made now; materials and machining on even the "cheapest" is well beyond what they were "in the day".
    What is your preference?
    To my mind, Browning has not made a second rate firearm yet (some are nicer than others). And Savage has bolstered their reputation quite nicely.
    Also, do not mistake a "feather weight" model for a cheap gun; many companies are making incredibly light rifles in some models that are designed to be carried all day without wearing you out. I am not too sure I would like to shoot a light weight 300 mag of any model, but that is just me!!!
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The CZs would be my second choice followed closely by rem 700
  19. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

JLA said it best!:)
  20. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

First Choice Remington 700, second Savage 114.