Who makes a quality Rifle anymore?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by joshj, Sep 23, 2011.

1. WTHines

WTHines Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Ruger 1A ... most accurate I've ever held. Great value...who said price was the driving issue. The question is who makes a quality rifle...and I will admit trigger pull can be an issue with some but that is simply and easily rectified.

2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

No one?

At any rate, I'm a BIG fan of #1s as well. IMO one of the most beautiful rifles made today. There's three of the gorgeous rifles in the safe right now. (And believe me, that's not nearly enough of 'em. ;) )

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Nov 15, 2011
    nc mountains
    This company seems to produce school build quality rifles. Buddy back in florida has one for elk hunts. Nice shooter ,beutifull rifle. many choices in the line up today.http://www.montanarifleco.com/

4. WTHines

WTHines Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I'm with you BobMcG.... and, if one shot is not enough for the hunter...they best practice up! When you "depend" on a back up shot, you usually don't take time to make sure of buillet placement on the first one; but, that is an issue for another post, another place. Happy holidays everyone.

5. marlin795

marlin795 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Northern California
    Marlin makes quality stuff and they're made in the USA.

6. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Chaska Minn
    Picked up a used Stevens M200,for 200.00,,basically a Savage 110 without the Fancy Trigger,,
    Savage has great customer service,,the Screw on barrel makes for easy Modification and future Barrel upgrades

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Nov 15, 2011
    nc mountains
    In 43 yaers of hunting I have only made a second shot 2 times . Missed then. Had couple other times i could have tried but was so suprized i missed I did not try just knowing the deer would fall died.

fastforward If you don't like a stevens 200 trigger get a Rifle basix trigger. Cheap and a great trigger upgrade. Make it way easier to make a good pull compared to the stock trigger group.

8. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Chaska Minn
    I found a website that shows how lighten the pull a little I also polished the trigger a little,,I,ll probablly go to a different trigger later but i recently bought a 26'' fluted steel target barrel in 223 cal,,so now I,m on the hunt for a stock up-grade

Attached Files:

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Nov 15, 2011
    nc mountains
    Look like your up grades are getting closer to happening, Wow that 26" barrel well hold the velocity up. Nice find.

10. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit Mich
    I have to say Cooper as well i have held them at the shop in town and its a real piece of equipment.

11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Oct 24, 2011
    Georgia
    I bought one when it was called the "Weather warrior." The action ripped itsself out of the stock. I have a new stock for it, but still have not found a long enough set of bolts to work with the new stock. I guess I will eventually get around to finding some. I must admit that I have not looked real hard. I hate the Savage factory brake on these rifles. I have no idea who engineered the thing, but the angles are way too steep. If I push my loads up using slow powder, I literally get hot powder in my face. I honestly think it is going to end up getting rebarreled into a 6mm/300win.