Who makes good safety glasses that don't distort

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Helix_FR, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Well after the 5th time to the ER for something lodged in my eye. Right eye every time too. I need to get some opinions. I always wear safety glasses but have a issue with stuff I guess blowing up under the glasses. The other issue I have with many that I have tried is that they distort the image and even slightly drives me nuts. Can anyone recommend a brand and lens type that won't distort vision at all. Ive had Gargoyle's and other expensive brands and they all drive me nuts when I have to see detail and keep them on all day.
  2. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i bought a pair of safety glasses off of the Mac tools truck a few months ago. they are very clear and comfortable. but i dont wear them all day either. i think they are Uvex brand?
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Go to your optometrist and get a pair of prescription safety glasses. They will be better than anything you can buy at a box store or off of the Snapon or Mac truck
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

US Army.

Got me a pair of patrol shades with a full set of lenses.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

i just use the pairs i have left over from my construction jobs.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My favorite pair of safety glasses cost $500. They're branded Ridgid, the tool maker.

Of course, they came with a FREE cordless hammer drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, trim saw, flashlight, two Li-ion batteries, and a charger. :D:D
  7. mranum

mranum Member

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

9. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I always liked Gargoyles sunglasses, they make them in clear as safety glasses too.
  10. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

I've always favored Stihl safety glasses after I took a rock to the right eye from a mower, and they stopped it dead. Bruised the bejeezus out of my eye from the nose pieces getting slammed into my face, but I still got both my eyes.
  11. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

rcairflr hit it right on the head. I used to make glasses when I was in high school in a lab here in Pittsburgh. All safety glasses are made of polycarbonite plastic. They brought in a box made from polycarb put a polycarb lens in the box and fired a 22LR at the lens and it scratched it was all the damage it did. If you go to any eye place even walmart eye lab they have safety frames and can make you what is called a plano lens it has no prescription but will have an axis and is cut so you dont have the distortion. Other than that you are going to get distortion because most over the counter safety glasses are made from a form. You will also want side shields on your safety glasses which on most safety frames are removable.
  12. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I know this because I wear mine everyday. I work in a industry that requires us to wear safety glasses at work. I went through the cheap safety glasses, the Snap-on safety glasses etc... etc.. etc... None of them even came within a mile of a good pair of prescrption safety glasses. Mine also have the Varilux reading lens built in.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012