Who owns a PPK?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RunningOnMT, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I have toyed with the idea of getting a smaller caliber sub compact pistol for carry as a back up. I really like the looks of the Walther PPK, but I haven't heard much discussion about them from others. I recall one TFF member a couple years ago complaining about one Walther they owned, but I don't remember what model. I would appreciate hearing any opinions about the PPK's reliability, accuracy, and overall quality.
  2. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

I don't have one...but, wish I did.
  3. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

My wife gave me a blue PPK/S about 25 years ago. She bought it after I mentioned that I wanted one since going to my first 007 movie. It was quite a surprise and the second best Christmas gift she ever gave me. The best was our daughter. It is an excellent carry pistol with the heft and feel of a real firearm. It is accurate enough for its purpose as I can hit center mass all day at 15 yds. It is not a target pistol for two reasons. First is its size which precludes accurate aiming and holding. The other is, as it is an older model, it does have the "bite" where the slide will occasionally make contact with the web of the thumb so one normally limits one's range time. I understand that the newer models have corrected this with a grip extension.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I know pinecone had a walther that gave her a fit a few yrs back. That might be what your referring to.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Dan, I see you have some excellent deals offered on 9mm. That Sig with the laser is very tempting.
  6. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I pulled it out for pictures and found the laser battery dead. Somehow, I let someone turn it on and it got put back with it on and its dead, so I am going for a new battery before it sells. But, that gun sells for more than that without the laser.
  7. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I carried an Interarms PPK/s for years. I switched to the Sig p230 ss series and currently carry a Sig P238. My walther has been absolutely perfect function and accuracy. I only switched as I did not want to get into the SW at the time and really wanted to carry a SS model since the bluing was starting to show signs of being carried all the time. It seemed that SW had some problems early on when they started making them but I have not seen too many complaints on them in a while.
  8. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I know a very nice fellow who owns a PPK and really likes it. Says it's easy to shoot, light recoil, and pretty darn accurate. Never really wanted one and now wouldn't give it up!
  9. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I have a WWII police issue Nazi PPK but do not shoot it. Clean and look at it from time to time but no more shooting for this baby LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. Charles Christensen

Charles Christensen New Member

I have a PPK/S in .380 that I bought new about 35 years ago. It is an old style DA/SA, thumb safety, exposed hammer - it feels safe to carry it. It looks great, shoots great and is very dependable. High quality, no complaints - except - it is all steel and is heavy by current standards. To that end, I have just acquired A Ruger LCP .380 and LC9 9mm.

However, if you can get a nice one, get it. You will like it.
  11. anthonymsga

anthonymsga New Member

I agree, but I actually like the feel and weight

12. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I carry a PPK (stainless S&W) CC. It is in .380, and a very nice pistol. Function and reliability are great, as is the stainless steel construction. It has a good heft and feel about it - both carrying and firing.

Drawback for this pistol is there is no manual slide release. This slows down reloading after firing. Mag capacity is only 6 rounds.

My wife has a Makarov for CC. I like the 9X18 caliber a little more than I do the .380, and it has a manual slide release. It is nearly identical to the PPK, and may be a better pistol. Sure is a lot cheaper, and the East German version I have is very well made with very little tooling marks anywhere.
  13. north tex

north tex Active Member

Having had a PPK/S 380 at one time I didn't really care for it. After the slide bite was corrected I had feeding problems with it. Eventually traded it back to where I got it from (the gunsmith had worked on it and knew it's history). Now have a Bersa Thunder 380 that I like much better.
  14. twobit

twobit Active Member

I have the Interarms PPK/S stainless that I bought new around 1989. Carried it as a backup in an ankle holster for years, then in a body armor holster under my uniform shirt. I still qualify with it as I do still carry it sometimes on or off duty.

Good gun. Heavy by today's standards. If you limp wrist it, it will fail to feed, but that is just the nature of a blowback action. Slide is very stiff to rack and magazine is painful to load (heavy spring).

My wife was using it as her concealed carry gun for a few years but has since gone to a Ruger LCR because she was having issues with the strong springs and some arthritis in her hands. I keep it loaded with Buffalo Boar standard pressure solid lead bullets .380. Not a fun gun to shoot at the range all day, but it is a quality piece and will last several lifetimes. I paid $410 new in 1989. I think they cost more now :)
  15. mintaka

mintaka New Member

I heard since s&w took over they are a disaster...old ones are much better...s&w had recalls and other issues...ask owners of newer versions..