Who Smokes a Pipe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Powderhorn, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Starting a new thread here, rather than to drift another.

So who where smokes a pipe? 308 At My Gate said: "I too like to smoke a pipe. My brother who is a machinist also smokes a pipe and he has made a couple from exotics woods. My favorite that he has made is a pipe from an elk horn. It took awhile to get it broke in, but now it smokes good. Every Sunday we sit on his porch and smoke our pipes and shoot the breeze."

I like my pipes. I only smoke 4-5 times a week, but its a fine time. I'm no big collector. There's a lot about pipes I don't know. I have a few Dr.Grabows and a handful of others. All estate pipes. I have no qualms about a presmoked pipe. In fact, I prefer them. Nothing smokes better than an old corncob, especially out on the water.

So who here besides me and 308 enjoys their pipe?
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

I've thought about it for years. Still may pick it up, maybe.

Art
  3. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

My Grandad, WWI & II vet smoked a pipe, I loved the smell, even the burnt wood match smell followed by Erinmore Flake.
    A tear to my eye.....
    Is that a current tobacco? If so I'll buy some for the smell.
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

I also have thought about starting up. I remember the smell of my dad's cherry tobacco as a kid. It seems very calming. Plus, it would be a nice substitue from smoking cigs. Secondly, I have always marveled over some of the pipes I've seen in antique shops.
  5. SARG

SARG Member

For me it was Dad's "Heritage" blend.
  6. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

My dad smoked a pipe for years and I loved that smell of the smoke. When I turned 50, I told myself I'd start smoking cigars (never smoked in my life before then) and every once in awhile, maybe once a week or so, I sit on my deck and have a brandy and a cigar and life is good!
  7. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

I've been smoking pipes for over 35 years, having spent way more than I care to consider on pipes here and overseas. If I'm not in the house (that stopped about a year ago :(). I usually have a pipe in my mouth.
    I still have a collection of about 15, although I tend to smoke only 4-5 of them.
  8. islenos

islenos New Member

does a crack pipe count?:eek:;)
  9. doug66

doug66 New Member

You beat me by 5 minutes.
  10. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I calculated the risk of posting such a thread, and expected the ubiquitous crack pipe joke. :p
  11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I have two. One is a corncob I bought just to try it. The other is a wooden pipe I bought in a tobacco shop some years ago. It was about middle in the price range.

The pipe has a good flavor and a good smell. I just never could quite get one to burn very long. Maybe I'm lazy or impatient, but it seemed like I was constantly stirring, poking and relighting. I figure to give it more attention later.

Cigars do for now, but the rule is not in the house and only in the evening.

The coolest pipe I ever saw was made by a backwoods fellow who cut a hole in the side of a 30-06 case, just above the rim. He cut another 30-06 case in half, soldered the shoulder in the hole of the other, put a screen in it, and puff there it was. However, it wasn't for tobacco.
  12. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Yep. Erinmore Flake is still holds a following from what I have read. I have never tried it myself, but I aim to someday. Pipes and tobacco are an extravagance for me, and my one and only vice (well, its a vice that requires a cash expenditure at least... cursing is free, and I do that quite often). So I am collecting tins of tobacco as I can. Guns and ammo hold priority in this money pit... heh!

I usually like the blends that have a little Latakia in them. My favorite is Frog Morton. I have a tin of it in my boat, and several in my shop.

My wife is pretty diligent about making sure I dont smoke in the house, and she even gets pissy when I smoke in the shop. I told her I was going to get my friends together and we were going to build a treehouse, and smoke in it all we wanted... AND NO GIRLS ALLOWED! :eek: :D She wasn't impressed.
  13. big steve

big steve New Member

They sure do smell good
  14. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I smoked a pipe for many years and have some expensive ones I bought when I was stationed in Germany and other places in Europe. I quit smoking on 31 May 1988. I still have all my pipes, probably twenty or so, but I don't smoke anymore. I loved the taste of good black Cavendish (spelling?), but it was time to quit. In fact my pipes are sitting in front of me right now.
  15. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I smoked a pipe for years but finally gave it up.
    (BAD breath)

I had a beautiful pipe that was carved from meerschaum and looked very similar to the one below.

[​IMG]

The really cool thing about meerschaum is that it turns colors as you use it. Mine went from snow white to a glossy beige where my fingers held onto the claws to a deep brown almost black color at the rear.
    Brand new, the whole pipe was snow white.

Very cool stone!

http://sultanpipes.com

I bet our local gun carver/ metal inlayer would love this stuff to play with.
    (I’m sorry, but I forgot his name. Oops sorry.)
  16. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

That pipe is bad*** Martin.
  17. artabr

artabr New Member

+ a bunch ;)

Art
  18. Powerhouse

Powerhouse New Member

My father was a pipe smoker and after his passing I ended up with his pipe collection. I always wanted to smoke his pipes because I have so many fond memory's of the smell of his Bond Street pipe tobacco. I tried to find Bond Street but it seems it is no longer made. I've since quit smoking so I guess smoking them isn't so important anymore but I still enjoy looking at them.
  19. islenos

islenos New Member

I have a collection of Meerschaum Pipes
    which reminds me, I need to photograph them for insurance.
  20. Yup, just can't beat those Roi Tans you can pick up cheap at the BX, Delta. :D;):p