Who Watched the Debate?

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by RunningOnMT, Aug 12, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

If you watched the republican debate last night what's your take on it. Who were the winners and losers in your opinion? Any surprises?

For me, I thought Gingrich took himself right out of the running with his obnoxious attitude. Don't care for Huntsman and can't see what he has to offer. I hate to say it but as much as I like Ron Paul, some of his ideas scare me. I like Herman Cain but I just don't think he has the experience or knowledge of world affairs to be president. Santorum has always been a favorite of mine and I agree with his stand on the issues , but I don't think he's electable. He's not that well liked and if a man can't hold on to his senate seat in his own state I don't think he could muster enough support for the presidency

Now for the winners. Even though I don't particularly care for Mit Romney I have to give him an A for his debating skills. He sounded more sincere than in the past and he seems competent but I still don't trust him. Michelle Bachman remains my favorite of the bunch but have to say Pawlenty impressed me too. That was the surprise of the night for me. This was the first time I've actually heard more from him than a few soundbites in the news. I could see supporting him . Interesting that my two favorites of the night seemed to get a bit testy with each other. Maybe they should kiss and make up and run together.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I thought Gingrich handled himself very well.

I almost always agree with every point Ron Paul makes. His ideas that wars are caused by us screwing with the world is spot on. He was right. The reason why Iran exploded in 1979 was because of our support for the Shah and his government which was installed by a coup by the CIA in 1953. The Iranians hated the Shah because the Shah was an authoritarian government and used Nazi-style tactics on their citizens. The same thing is going on with the Muslim theocracy they have now. The people hate it because it's basically an authoritarian government that treats its citizens like trash.

Such is the reason why we still haven't opened up trade restrictions on Cuba. You know? One President was killed because he refused to go back into Cuba. Or look at Vietnam. 58,000 American lives because we had to go meddling with their country.

I don't like the idea of isolationism, but I DO like the idea of non-interventionism. And why worry about Iran when we have thousands of violent drug cartels ready to kill us at any moment just the other side of the US-Mexico border? Let Israel deal with Iran.

Santorum, Bachmann and Pawlenty just sounded stupid arguing with each other and the other candidates.

Romney did okay. I saw how people were heckling him before the debates at the Iowa State Fair. I don't really know what to make of him. I don't like the idea of even a state forcing you to buy a product or service. What works for Massachusetts is another story. The reason I am not a fan of his is because of his state's stance on gun rights. With this man running our country, expect another Assault Weapon Ban. I don't think he's a staunch supporter like Feinstein and the other gun-grabbers, but I feel like he wouldn't stand up for us.

It would have been nice to have Rick Perry there.

I also felt like many of the questions the moderators asked were malicious.
  3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I have not paid much attention to Ron Paul as a presidential candidate until last night. His answers and insight were spot-on. He also got the best audience response from his comments. However, In the media re-cap and this mornings news reports, Paul's name wasn't even mentioned. He might as well not even been there. Unfortunately, the media will shape public opinion and Ron Paul is obviously not a media darling. We're just being set up to get screwed again in 2012.
  4. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Ron Paul is spot on about monetary matters, but couldn't be more wrong about Iran. Iran is the most dangerous country extant to both the US and Israel. This country's leader has declared his intent on wiping out the Jews and should not be dismissed with a "Meh" and shoulder shrug.

Romney shot himself in the foot regarding healthcare with Mass "Romneycare" debacle, Pawlenty did well and so did Bachman.

Newt might be smart, but he can't take back the image of him sitting next to Nancy Pelochit agreeing on climate change. Moron.

Wait until Rick and Sarah get into the act.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I can't disagree on Iran. I do think they are dangerous. But what about North Korea who constantly rattle saber and who are armed with nuclear weapons?

What about Mexico whose violence is affecting this country? One town's entire police force quit. Obama and the UN are going to take our guns away because of what's going on there. I say until we take a strong national action against Mexico, let's let Israel deal with Iran.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I thought they all did fairly well, but I want Ron Paul to be the GOP pick so bad! I was not real impressed with Bachman, or Pawlenty. Newt is just a RINO, as well as Romney. Perry will be in the next round, so let's wait and see what becomes of that. Straw pole tomorrow.
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Apparently Rick Perry will announce his candidacy tomorrow. For me, no one else is even a consideration for my vote.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I think Ron Paul is on that list too. I live in TX, and while I did vote for Perry as Governer of TX, I just want to warn you all that he is not what he appears to be. If the GOP does pick Perry to run as the Republican choice, then I will vote for him.
  9. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I think they all did a good job for the most part. I was proud of Speaker Gingrich, he stood up for himself and his record very well. He is a amazing man that IMO did really well when he was Speaker of the House. IMO one of the reasons everyone liked Clinton was because of the work Gingrich and the Republicans did while he was in office. (Democrats seem to forget all that).

I really like Representative Ron Paul, but like was said above....his foreign policy thinking sucks. You can't just ignore the middle east and be an isolationist. There is a place for us in the world, but I believe we should get paid for our work and nothing is free......NO MORE FOREIGN AID...and troops only need to be sent where we actually plan on winning and winning quickly.....no more political games at our troops cost.

I think Herman "The Godfather" Cain has great ideas but I am unsure of how much knowledge he has (very funny guy). I would like to see him in office somewhere if he doesn't make the Presidential Candidate.

I think Governor Romney is very smart, but I think he is old school politics and honestly I am tried of that...we need new ideas and a new generation of politicians.

Congresswoman Bachmann is a amazing woman and she did very well and I am proud she represents the Tea Party movement, she has old school values but with a much needed new school approach to how government should be (IMO more to what the Founding Fathers had in mind).

Huntsman, Pawlenty and Santorum don't have a rats chance in hell...although they are probably good men.
  10. Juker

Juker New Member

Someone is obviously coaching Pawlenty of being more aggressive, but his attacks on Bachmann were misdirected. He's also being told to use his hands more when he talks, making him look like some sort of bizarre puppet.
  11. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Newt actually put himself back in the race for me. Romney won a little favor from me too. I liked what RP said most of the night. But, like others have said some ideas really scare me.

I came out of last night liking Newt and Romney best. I like MB; but the media will just eat her alive. I also like Cain. But, there is no way for him to win in 2012. (maybe 2016)

I personally can hardly wait to learn more about Perry. He seems to be a strong leader with character & integrity. He might just end up being my pick.

-
  12. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Newt is the old guard Rhino but he has attack skills.He tore up Chris Wallace and caught him off guard.Chris Wallace made that stupid comment to not long ago to Bachman"are you a flake"I thought that was rude.Pawlenty did get a little more fire in his belly last night.Him a Bachman went at it pretty good.One thing about Ron Paul he brings up things others are affraid to discuss.
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Yup...Ron Paul and Herman Cain have a huge pair of brass ones. I think the whole reason I like watching them two on tv is that you never know what they might say.:D:D
  14. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Hey ROM Jlloyd stole my every thought, I agree with his take, first one. Just want to add one thing, every one of those candidates would make a better president than what we have. The only way we lose is if Barrack "O'Muslim" Obama gets re-elected! Heaven forbid!
  15. Juker

Juker New Member

Pawlenty has dropped out of the race.