who's going dove hunting?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/31/02 5:58:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    who's going dove hunting?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me and my two boys are going dove hunting in the morning. It is the opening day and we expect to have a good time. There are a lot of doves in the area. Last week I sat sown and loaded up 300 shotshells. That should come out to around 10 or 15 doves

Think I will take my BSS

The boys make great spotters for those dive bombers coming in at high speed and they usually race Duke (yellow lab) to get the retreive.

They love to pop the heads on the cripples. They like doing it but do it with respect and do not make a big joke out of it. That makes me happy to see them treating the act and the sport with the respect it deserves.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 7:15:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: who's going dove hunting?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dove season opens here tomorrow, also. Usually sounds like WWIII, even here in town! Wish I had exclusive sales on the ammo that's gonna get blasted!

Being as the Mourning Dove is the listed as a song bird in Indiana and protected for a few hundred years, my wife being a Hoosier and all, I'm not allowed to hunt the critters. When I do go, tell the Little Woman I'm going just to keep the snakes off the other guys!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 7:33:13 pm)
    No offense to anyone, but I have always wondered why so many people shoot so many rounds at Doves. I never take more than a box of shells, I bring back my limit and shells. Heck, I`ve even hunted with those types.....never did understand the problem and I ain`t no real crackerjack myself, so I`m not bragging.....just observing. LTS

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (8/31/02 8:58:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: who's going dove hunting?
    Well I for one find them hard to hit.

I shoot on two league teams at the hardest sporting clay course in SD. My score is not at the top but better than average and I consider myself a pretty fair shot with a shot gun. I shoot a few thousands rounds just at clay birds from May to Sept let alone all the clay birds the rest of the year.

I shoot pheasants,ducks,turkey,geese all with a shotgun
    I feel I am proficient.

But I find doves the very hardest to hit of the airborne critters. I took an hour and a half last week and reloaded 300 shotshells for dove season. This will supply me and my dad with ammo. The daily limit is 15 birds and I find that hard to do on one box of shells. I do not shoot them on the fences or wait for them to land. I only shoot them on the fly from a makeshift blind or out in the open.

Maybe I shoot at them to far away or something? They have a very fast erratic flight that makes them hard to hit. About like shooting at a bat.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 4:47:02 pm)
    LTS:

Take me dove hunting! I aint got nowhere to go...Havent been but once in my life!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/6/02 5:01:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I have been shooting up the skies around here. Have cooked up a couple batches.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/8/02 1:07:30 pm)
    LTS is ignoring my post

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/8/02 1:22:11 pm)
    No longer hunt them.....too easy.

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/8/02 4:14:31 pm)
    Ha Ha Ha....I'm just ribbing ya. I actually have an 'ol friend who has a place to go, who invited me, but I couldn't see buying the stamp when I'd probably only have one opportunity to go this year...Sounds fun tho.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/8/02 4:23:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Stamp is only $3.00 here. I need to get another batch of them for my breakfast.