Who's going to fill your shoes? No, not a George Jones song...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ponycar17, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Honestly, I see more than enough people passing these days and I don't see a refreshing replacement from the younger generation. Who is going to fill YOUR shoes? Who is going to spirit along the hobby and sacred right that you so loved? Get in touch! Teach a youngster or otherwise unknowing friend to shoot and care for firearms. Our sport is dying, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. That is all...
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I am and have.

Pops
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

helped start the junior shooters program here a while back

http://www.juniorshooters.com.au/main/Home.htm
    and their own magazine
    http://www.ssaa.org.au/junior-shooter/junior-shooter.html

started a political party to defend shooters rights and we now have major say in state laws and as elections around the nation happen we are feilding candidates for EVERY seat ( mainly exservicemen/women )

http://www.shootersandfishers.org.au/

and working on a couple other programs that i'll keep in the dark until they are launched to prevent sabotage as now the watermelon groups ( green on the outside , but red on the inside ) have realised we can and are fighting back and winning

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  4. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I don't agree. I think we are winning the war for gun rights. Just look at the number of states that have passed concealed carry laws. Ten to fifteen years ago people would have laughed in your face if you had suggested such a thing. I don't know about other states, but the govornor of Texas (Rick Perry) has passed so many pro gun laws that I cannot count them. Another example is the Supreme Courts recent ruling on the 2nd Amendment, and the courts ruling on the Washington DC matter. The American public is being educated, and the NRA is the driving force behind that education. The best two ways to insure our gun rights in this country is to 1) Teach a youngster to shoot and hunt 2) Support the NRA both financially and by volunteering your time at NRA sponsored events.

We have to stop being pessimists and start being optimists. Look at all of the battles we have won and stop playing the role of the victim. Negativity and doom and gloom drama breeds failure, because people get tired of hearing paranoid rants about how they are out to get us. Positive attitudes bring positive results, and we have a lot of positive results to be proud of. For the first time in 100 years, we are finally starting to win.
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

bluesea, I agree that gun rights are increasing. I just don't know who they're benefiting or how they'll be maintained with a dwindling number of people who exercise the right. The number of folks I encounter who have never fired a gun is pretty staggering. I worry that we're a very vocal minority whose numbers really aren't there. I hope I'm wrong.

Of course, thanks to all who do propagate the hobby.
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

7. cutter

cutter New Member

Can't fix stupid!!! People like him don't do us any favors.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

In the process! The grandson is just 2 right now, maybe next year I'll see about a lesson or three.
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

The last dozen gun shows I've attended have been packed to the walls. I schedule my range time at odd hours, otherwise there's a wait. I'm talking more and more with folks who have guns, or are in the process. My gut feeling is that we have a lot of active gun owners and shooters who aren't involved in clubs or organizations or forums, and don't give a tinker's damn what the government says or threatens - they know it's a God-given and constitutional right, and no law is going to affect their ownership of firearms.
  10. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

alot of gun owners need to take another look at their gun safety practices. i know mine isn't perfect. i've pretty much got finger-out-of-the-trigger-guard down pretty well, but still need to work on muzzle control.
  11. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

Im passing on my love of this sport to my grandsons now. I dont push it on them but let it grow on it's own.My sons are both involved with this and help the old man teach the respect and safety that comes with gun ownership. Im proud of all of em and have a blast being with em to share this.
  12. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I am a 4th generation NW waterfowler, and Blacktail hunter. I have hunted, and shot with all of my predecessors/teachers and I'm so proud to say that! I have a beautiful lady that calls me her man. And I am proud to say that I have changed her, her sons, and their extended families views about gun-ownership. The little guy has a real interest in the sporting aspect of shooting, but not so much the harvest... Which is more than I can ask for! The fact that he changes modes. He focuses, and becomes so determined.. Is astonishing. Firearms have always been a part of my life, and now I have introduced a whole family to the joys, and excitement of harvesting waterfowl, and plinking .22's all afternoon! Cool to see the change in view, once someone gets a real world picture about the why's, and what's of gun ownership. I dont have kids of my own, but when Brandon asks when is the next time we go shoot, it makes me as proud as I've ever felt. And I almost poo'd my britches when he asked how to do preventative maintenance on my Remington 512 he currently shoots. He has always watched me clean and oil the bolt, and chamber after every outing, and swab the barrel every 1000 rounds or so... But he is now starting to take ownership of the tool he uses. Its too cool!