Who's got a calculator?

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

BlackGun
    (10/22/01 1:49:35 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Who's got a calculator?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's one for you wiz kids: If a Buddit weighs 455. Gr.s and Z is grains (the unknown) and we know that Y= grams which is 28.6 grams in an ounce and we know that there is 16 oz. in a pound. How much would 500 Budditss weigh in pounds?

rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

tuckerd1
    (10/22/01 1:59:57 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Who's got a calculator?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    455*500/7000=32.5 lbs

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 10/22/01 3:01:08 pm

BlackGun
    (10/22/01 2:02:14 pm)
    Don, ya better get you a dolly then!
    How many Gr's are in a gram?
    so there is 7000 Gr's in a pound?
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/22/01 3:14:13 pm

tuckerd1
    (10/22/01 2:03:35 pm)
    As long as it is less than 40# the turd masters will handle it!!

tuckerd1
    (10/22/01 2:17:17 pm)
    BG, yes there are 7000 grains in a pound! What you doing with 455 gr buddits??

BlackGun
    (10/22/01 2:25:47 pm)
    We call them RPG's in Texas I'm sorry I meant 255
    I believe that should come out to 18.214 pounds then. Cool. That's the heavest 18 1/4 pounds I ever lifted in a 5x5x5x5 box
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/22/01 3:29:46 pm

Different name
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (10/22/01 3:09:28 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Whata Calculator...
    In precise mathematical terms, 1 + 1 = 2,
    where "=" is a symbol meaning "seldom if ever."
    Charlie D
    To err is human,
    but it feels divine.

BlackGun
    (10/22/01 3:22:23 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Whata Calculator...
    HUH! Remember I'm from Texas
    BlackGUN

needleace
    (10/22/01 9:49:21 pm)
    Well guys-
    here's the poop- but you guys will have to do the math.
    15gr=1gram
    454grams=1 lb.
    1000grams=1 kilogram=2.2lbs
    I'm a little tired, just had togo in towork and read the thread
    fast- For a minute I thought some one was shootin' 1 lb Buddits.

AGunguy
    (10/22/01 11:38:40 pm)
    Hey guys and gals, I've got 200 lbs of pure lead, not brand X, its made in little ingots from an RCBS mould and packed in wooden 50 lb. boxes. I even built the boxes for special handling.

Now, here's the deal, if you can come up and get it you save a hell of a big shipping & handling fee as it would have to shipped by a freight truck long hauler if I can find one up in this region.

Not sure what the price of pure lead is these days (maybe around $4.00 lb) but I was thinking I'd be interested in a like new gun for a trade.

You could cast a lot of buddits with all this lead. Its been in my storage for about 20 years. Got some nice .44 caliber bullet moulds too.

Gunguy

Mesen
    (10/23/01 7:10:44 am)
    GG
    What trucking companies operate in your area?
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR FREEDOM, THANK A VET!

AGunguy
    (10/23/01 9:14:53 am)
    I really don't know, probably the closest would be down south about 95 miles, Wausau, Wisconsin. I'd have to look into it.

You interested in the lead?

Gunguy

the real fredneck
    (10/23/01 11:28:02 am)
    GG
    that was me this morning (didn't notice wife was still signed in) maybe interested but I think $4/lb is a little optimistic here's a link to a quick rundown
    metals.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.nickelalloy.com

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 11:54:55 am)
    Last time I bought any bulk lead it was $0.30/lb. That quote on was about $0.21/lb.

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 11:57:35 am)
    Fred convert those prices to english for me please! What is lead going for per pound?

BlackGUN

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 12:11:26 pm)

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 12:32:13 pm)
    Don, what is the symbol for lead?

BlackGUN

the real fredneck
    (10/23/01 12:32:35 pm)
    yep tuck that's what it means

the real fredneck
    (10/23/01 12:34:59 pm)
    Steve it's Pb

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 12:38:47 pm)
    Well according to the chart then, that would be about right then, HUH!
    BlackGUN

AGunguy
    (10/23/01 2:11:12 pm)
    Hi, fredneck.

About those lead prices on the charts and grafs are greek to me...don't understand them?

But I have not been able to buy pure lead from any source since over 20 years ago for .20 or .30 cents a pound. Last time I went into a hardware store they wanted over $4.00 for a one pound 50/50 plumbers solder bar. So .20 or .30 cents a lb just doesn't seem realistic to me?

I really wasn't expecting to get $4.00 a lb for my lead, maybe about $2.00 or $2.50 for pure lead not scrap.
    This lead was originally in flat sheets about 12 inches square and 1/8 inch thick. It was used to coat acid lines and valves that were very strong in eating through regular piping. But this lead has been melted and purified to expell any acid marks on them. It was also fluxed with beeswax in the process to remove all impurities.

That's OK if no one wants it at my prices, I'll just keep it stored and leave it to my heirs.

Gunguy

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 2:30:44 pm)
    GG, You are free to set the price on your property as you see fit. But, I have a question to ask you.

If 500 - 200gr buddits weigh a little over 14 lbs and lead costs $2.00/lb, how can buddit makers sell 500 - 200gr buddits for $18? At $2/lb 500 buddits would cost over $28 just in lead costs alone.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

obelix2
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/23/01 2:36:29 pm)
    | Edit | Del damn, 95 miles north of Wausau
    What do you know about the screwed up attempt to capture the Dillinger gang in 1934?

tuckerd1
    (10/23/01 2:40:31 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: damn, 95 miles north of Wausau
    HUH??!!

AGunguy
    (10/23/01 2:56:52 pm)
    I was told from the source I got those lead wrap sheets from that they were pure lead, not scrap lead with a bunch of additives.

And rather than try to sell this difficult to obtain metal in its pure form I've just decided to keep it.

Obelix2, if you are asking me about Dillinger and the feds notorious history...yes, it took place back in April (I think) 1934. That was 2 years before I was born. It also took place practically next door to my residence. And there's a pretty good chance they the 3 gang members fled from Little Bohemia on Little Star lake and ran up the shore line through the woods heading northwest and might have even passed through what is now my property which is only about 150 yards from highway 51. They ran to a small time roadside set of cabins (some of which are still there) and woke up the owner and demanded a good car to make an escape in. They didn't know the roads as they forced the owner to drive them in his bathrobe and pajamas to Park Falls about 35 mile west and there they kicked him out on the side of the road in his house slippers. There's more but I can't tell it all here tonight, maybe more tomarrow if I can remember the details.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 10/24/01 1:28:49 am

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 3:54:20 pm)
    Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn! GG. Your living on famous land. Would you sign (autograph) a chunk of lead and send it to me for postarity? I bet nobody knew that happend at your place. How come you didn't tell us that story sooner.
    BlackGUN

AGunguy
    (10/23/01 5:04:33 pm)
    You'll just have to wait until the book comes out on my life's story, comes to your mail box in a plain brown wrapper from a New Jersey outfit, the Jihad Publishing Co. Or, you can send for the VHS tape or DVD disk with pictures drawn in living color with crayola of the entire story...only $99.99 for the two minute historical episode.

Alli Achnead Bin Goobereater
    OU812 Camel ST.
    Terror Fantasys, NJ 86711

Send for yours today, offer void outside of Wisconsin and Texas.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 10/23/01 7:28:35 pm

BlackGun
    (10/23/01 5:54:13 pm)
    I want one of each. Send the bill to piggy. He's got all the money
    BlackGUN

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/24/01 12:07:46 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: damn, 95 miles north of Wausau
    GG,

Please do tell the story if you wish, I know I'd
    sure like to hear it, always interested in mystery
    of folks back then, not a waste of band width
    at all!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

warpig883
    (10/24/01 7:38:20 am)
    I don't have all the money. I spent most of it on guns and wimmins the rest of it I just wasted
    I am not happy unless I am miserable

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/24/01 8:45:18 am)
    Let me clarify it a little. I "scrapped" my way through college in the 70s and 80s, the "non-ferrous metals" load was the last one I made before going to back to school every fall, called that load my "books and beer" run...(the sheet metal and hard steel all year paid the bills with tonnage, the aluminum, copper, brass, SS, lead, batteries, etc got saved, cleaned seperated, and hauled in seperate containers to a different yard, where they treated it like gold, and paid exactly what it was being traded for in Chicago...right off the ticker tape, it was cool...)

Those prices in the chart are WHOLESALE. Lead, especially PURE lead, sold at RETAIL would be substantially more.

Second, there really ISN'T "pure" lead, some have less or different alloys in it...in fact, more "pure" lead would be of more value to a muzzleloader, it would be soft, which is what BP needs. But if actually "pure" it might be too soft even for them.

Cast bullets, especially for modern rifles NEEDS to be an alloy, i.e., harder.

SO while $4.00/lb is too high (Solder prices notwithstanding, I can see where you got that price, but it's apples to kumquats, really), .21/lb is the wholesale average for ANY alloy of lead, if you were scrapping it. And they pay by grade.

And incidentally, scrap prices vary like the weather, LOTS of variables, but NOT inflation...I remember $40/ton for uncleaned sheet metal, now you are lucky to get $20 for cleaned which is almost not worth it to mess with, $80-100/ton for hard steel, now it's $40-60, I got $.90-$1.25/lb for clean #2 copper, .30-.50/lb for yellow brass, most I got for lead was .50/lb grade 2.

BTW, scrap prices historically ALWAYS go up tremendously when there is a war, I'm starting to save my beer cans again...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

warpig883
    (10/24/01 6:23:32 pm)
    I do a little scrappin from time to time. The best money in scrap metal is car batteries. I get paid a buck apiece. Figure every farm in the area goes through 10 a year (at least). I can fill my pickup box with junk batteries in half a day and make a couple hunnerd. That is heaping full, bumper draggin. Takes an old truck most of them things leak.
    I am not happy unless I am miserable