WHO'S HUNTING

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by wv hillbilly, Oct 23, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

and have you scored?
    it has been about 7 years since i have been hunting, due to the owner selling his property
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I passed up a 6 point and took a doe instead(She was much bigger).
    So I have fresh meat in the freezer:D
    She was taken with a bow gun season is still 25 days away.
    Can't wait for that.
    Josh reloaded some rounds for my Beowulf.I can't wait to see how they do:eek:
    Mike
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Daily , doing good on bunnies , aint seen a feral cat in a couple weeks so thats good , but not a roo in shot range , weather warmed up so they hit the highlands where its cooler so gotta go chasing , i've 5 i need for folks and been after em for 4 days now .. way it goes

lots of deer about ,but freezers full and the folks i sell too are full up as well for a while

got a duck this morning he's hanging till tomorrow and i'll roast him ;)

pics in the whats for dinner thread when done ..

ooh and seen two different young male foxes moved in at the end of the valley , hoping they'll entice some ladies and pups up for the next season or two
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Not yet. Muzzleloader doesn't open until the first weekend in November. I keep thinking about bow hunting but I can't hit the ground with an arrow. Thought about a crossbow but the extra cash has been difficult to come by lately. I'll just count the days til muzzleloader opens.
  5. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Here in Alaska, our seasons are about over, minus 14 this morning, first cooler weather. We got one moose and couple caribou; but we also have a winter caribou season that goes from Nov until end of March. Last year, we did better, 3 moose and bunch of caribou. I had an old friend up for 6 weeks this season; all he wanted to do was complain about no Shopping Malls or McDonalds and sit around and watch tv. Didn't like our single lane mnt roads without guard rails, didn't like my 4 wheeler trail too rough, something scared him about the Yukon, just on and on, man what a hunting season. I'll never do that one again, ha.

A little more snow, and I'll pull the tarps off snowmachines and look for some wolf tracks.
  6. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Yeppers!

Shot a small buck last Wednesday evening while hunting from the ground. Dropped him in his tracks @ 8 yards with my bow. No tracking. Loved it.

Finishing up the processing this week.

I could have let him walk but I'm a meat hunter and with a chance @ 6 deer total in my area I don't care if it has horns or not or how big they are.
  7. RichR

RichR Member

Third rifle season opens November 3rd-can't wait.Both me and my hunting buddy have cow tags so there is hope for meat in the freezer.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

just getting warmed up, went out this weekend here in the cascades. Found a couple bears (or at least where they'd been!), missed one by a matter of minutes, crossed the old road I as walking in front of me probably less than 5 minutes judging from the fresh prints (dumping buckets of snow saturday).

He went down over something I would call a cliff, went down another way and used the predator call but no dice.

Got the next few weeks to chase down something, deer is in until end of this month, then elk, then late buck. bear runs thru elk season here.
  9. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i would love to take HIS place. you wouldn't hear no complaints from me;)
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Our blk bear go into hibernation before snow hits, but are real active the month prior. I have seen people have success baiting in in the fall; usually with something the bear seasonally eat, like fish, they know the stink.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

my buddy just ran into a bear yesterday, didn't have a tag! I told you so, I told you so... he asked if he should get one. For $22, I can't pass it up. He went and picked up his bear tag today!

Nothing yet, seen nothing but deer, grouse, mt goats and coyotes. Shot one grouse out of boredom that was on the trail in front of me on the way up a looooong steep mountain.

Weather has been mostly crap (wet) but a few good days sprinkled in.

[​IMG]

lotta country. St Helens with tongue mountain in the front:

[​IMG]

was 65' F and beautiful the other day then this showed up yesterday:

[​IMG]
  12. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Wish me luck.
    I'm headed out to illegal immigrant country tomorrow with a mule deer tag and a magnum rifle.
  13. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wishing you luck.......Where are you headed?
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

AA1911, good picts, thanks. I'd just luv starting the wide track and head out for some caribou, but it's minus 37 this morn and my knees are a achin; suppose to warm up by mid week. The kids will be home from school nx month for xmas, there will be time for some shootin.

Hey Hillbilly, Where you at down there. Originally we were from South of Pittsburgh, had friends from down in W Va. In 80's and early 90's went to Jamboree in the Hills bunch of times, good times for sure. Thing about hunting in Alaska, is it can be great or a bust. Last August & September, our migration went north 150 miles from where they usually come through. We got bou, but had to work for them, in other words; it wasn't like there was 400 caribou walking past on both sides of you and you were trying to decide on which double shovel you would take; so ya never know how the hunting is going to be. I think my buddy just got too old on me, 72 years old and all he did was complain about how his wife had shut him off and he wanted to do was have his way with the old Indian grandmas, man it was tough watching him as when he was younger, he was an old hound for sure. Anyway, if I could predict a good year, sometimes the caribou are just here there and everywhere for a couple months, I'd give ya an invite. My luck, I have 4-5 fantastic years, invite friend up and huntin goes to crap; leaves me dumbfounded. Two years back, my AR-10 got three moose, all small bulls in upper 40s and half racks; then this year I just got one. I have freezer full of moose & caribou but this last huntin season wasn't the best I've seen. Are you able to take a week or two off on short notice in Late August or September; bout all it would cost ya is plane tickets & license. I just hate showing friends picts, send them bou jerky, and then when they come up have a poor season and in my life it has happened twice and I keep saying, never again, ha ha. I'm sure you know how that goes.
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

well, elk and bear is officially over with nothing but tired legs to show for it.

but I did kick up a bear about 20yds in front of me just off of a trail, was heading up a very steep section of tongue mt trail and he took off into the thick stuff, mowing down trees as he went. Could not get a shot as I only saw him for a split second.

Ran down the trail where it opened up a bit but he was long gone. Kept after him for the rest of that day and all the next day but no dice. He left a fresh dump right where I had spotted him also, it was still steaming!

late buck goes from thursday thru tomorrow, might go out on private property and see if I can find some horns yet...