WHO'S HUNTING

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by wv hillbilly, Oct 23, 2012.

1. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

My hunting partner and I are both tagged out on deer (2 ea.) with my first one killed using a bow and the second with the Omega at 175 yards. Now we're in hog mode. I got a decent boar with my #1 that gutted out at 122 lbs. and last week my hunting partner got one that gutted out at 202 lbs. with 3 1/2" cutters (see picture). We're set for meat for the winter now.....

Attached Files:

2. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Nice hog, did you take it in the Lompoc area? I've hunted Hunter Liggett for hog, but have yet to see anything.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah! nice oink oink there!

spent today in the 50mph wind and rain on a buddy's property (100 acres of mixed woods/pasture/wetland), saw one doe but no horns right before dark. couldn't feel my freakin' fingers, absolutely ridiculous weather today.

so big game is officially a total flop this year for me!

still have small game, grouse and whatnot to mess around until March but will be back on 'em next season. hope to be able to be in the woods during the year as much as I was this year, spent a lot of time scouting and prepping this season.

time to hit the river for some salmon, need something to tuck away in the freezer...
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

We hunt on VAFB--great venue, well run program, and my hunting partner and I are the pigmeisters on the base. We only kill one when there's room in the reefer for pork or it's a toad.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Haven't really started yet, though the season has been open for almost two weeks. Plenty of deer around here. I am trying to find a large buck right now, but will shift gears in another 3, or 4 weeks. We have untill Jan 3, and then it's over for us. Still plenty of time to score. Feeding corn again this year, and mineral blocks. All scrapes, and rubs appear to be very young bucks.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

hunting season is really early here in WA it seems, buck/deer doesn't even open until monday after thanksgiving in PA where I grew up and muzzleloader always the day after Christmas.

Course here, if you wait until Christmas, there's about 6' of snow or more at 4,000' so that's likely the reason! Cascades are open and free from about 4th of July until mid Novemeber, the rest of the year, they're socked in hard.
  7. robman2629

robman2629 Member

We have about one week left here in ME. Still looking to get my deer. Saw a nice doe last weekend but in an area where you arent suppose to take doe out of.
  8. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

Shot what I thought was the bigger of two doe this evening at 100yrds with my trusty 12ga pump. would have shot the second but the shell didn't eject. the second shell didn't go in very easily. the doe ended up being a button buck, but still good meat in the freezer.