1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Who's Lube?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by frosty, Jan 23, 2004.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

Who has tried this stuff from Lee called Liquid Alox for lubing bullets?

What have your results been if you tried it?
    What about those hard lubes like apache blue and so forth?
    Are they any good?

Just curious!
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Liquid Alox is way too messy. I use the hard blue lube, however, you need a sizer with a heated base as I had explained to you previously.

Have you read your PM?
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Frosty,

I use Lee's liquid alox, and I like it. Some folks don't like it, and say it's too messy, but I don't think so.
    It's easy to use, and you don't need any specialized bullet sizers with heaters, just toss those cast bullets into a plastic container like a Cool Whip container, drip some liquid alox onto them and swirl them around until they all get an even coat. Then spread them out on wax paper, and let them sit over night to dry.
    If you get too much lube on them, then they tend to remain a bit sticky, but I haven't found it to be a problem.
    One trick that helps is to warm the liquid alox first, because it can be somewhat stiff when it's cool.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Quite right, however, what is the size of your cast bullet vs the bore? If you're undersized when cast, then you will never have accuracy. Any more than .002 oversized and you can have serious pressure problems along with severe leading of the bore.

Be careful! ;)
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

True, and even though I've fired a couple hundred of these bullets without sizing them, they worked well, and no signs of pressure problems. I did get a Lee sizing die for .358, when using the Lee total lubrication system with their liquid alox, you only have to push the bullets through the die, then re-lube if you use them with a hot load. I re-lube just to be on the safe side.
    Lee's sizing die pushes the bullet through head first, no special nose pushing gizmo, or heater plates, or hard stick lubes to deal with.....just push them through, and roll them in a little more liquid alox, let dry, and presto.....some of the most accurate LSWC's I've ever shot.....
  6. bompa

bompa New Member

I had to try that liquid stuff and must say that it does work but..
    The stuff is so darn messy that it fouls up your seating and crimping dies..Makes for gooey sticky ammo unless you tumble after you get it loaded..
    My opinion is that it is a pain in the rear..
    Get a lube and sizer and use an alox blend,anybodys, and you will be very happy.. No leading !!!
  7. txpete

txpete New Member

I know that they are kind of expensive but I love my star lube sizer.the magma lube has been great and you buy it by the lb.which reduces the cost.
    pete