who's making jerkey

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by wv hillbilly, Nov 6, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

or sausage or bologna.
    since i dont hunt anymore i just go to the market and get 2 pounds of lean hamburger to make jerky
    what is your favorite. strips of jerky or ground
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Post your recipe for hamberger jerky, Please. I stopped making jerky several years ago, it was getting to expensive! I have two dehydrators that I no longer use. If the hamberger recipe is cheap enough, I might go back to making it.
  3. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Here is one that I use. I add lemon juice to it as well as take out the ketchup (I don't like it). I also add what we call Dale's Sauce. It is high in sodium but I like it. I've used the oven method and dehydrator method and either works well with this. If you do use the oven, put a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom rack to catch any drippings.

• 1 pound boneless venison roast
    • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
    • 1 tablespoon ketchup
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Directions
    1. Slice meat into long strips, 1 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. In a large releasable plastic bag, combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, ketchup, pepper, garlic powder, onion salt and salt. Place meat in, and close bag. Refrigerate overnight. Knead occasionally, to evenly distribute marinade.
    2. Preheat oven to 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Place a pan on the bottom of oven to catch drips, or line with aluminum foil.
    3. Place meat strips on a rack so that they do not touch each other, and dehydrate for 6 to 8 hours in the oven, or until desired consistency is achieved.
  4. wv hillbilly

i use NESCO JERKEY SPICE that i buy from walmart for about $7-8.00 per box.
    each box contains 6 packets of spice and 6 packets of cure, which is enough to make 6 pounds of jerkey
    i buy the leanest burger i can , usually about 2.5 lbs.and mix 3 cure and 3 seasoning packs. i got 7 trays on the dehydrator
    i have also used HI MoUNTAIN jerkey cure and seasoning. it makes 15 lbs of jerkey
  5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

We make jerky, we have a slicer and either buy roasts on sale or use venison. We love the pepper cured or pepper and garlic . We buy the cures fron either Wally world, Cabela's or Sportsman Whse. we dehydrate with a 7 tray dehydrator.

the slicer gets worked out on a monthly basis as we buy bulk lunch meat and slice it to suit ourselves. and all sorts of veggies for dehydration too!
  6. wv hillbilly

yep. i love dried fruit especially apples
  7. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

wife loves dried Roma apples sprinkled with cinnamon. same with peaches and pears!

we dry celery, onions, bannanas, fruit puree (for fruit roll ups, like leather) for the grankids, jerky, peppers (both hot and sweet), garlic just to name a few.

we are trying to learn to do potoes but havent got it down right yet.

we also can soups, chicken, beef, and of course veggies using a pressure canner.
  8. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN Member

My brothers and I make arounf 120lbs of summer sausage every Dec. Also brats, snack sticks, jerky, smoked fish. You name it been doing it our whole lives.
  9. wv hillbilly

well the first batch didn't last long.
    # 2 in the dehydrator this morning
  10. V509

V509 Member

I took the easy way out with my Elk and dropped it off at the local butcher shop (they have the best jerky in the area) This morning I picked up all of the meat in nice little packages!
    Two big paper grocery bags of jerky :)
  11. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I make mine with ground Venison absolutely void of any fat (yuck). I gave up on the whole muscle method as it was to difficult to keep consistent thickness and drying was uneven, tougher too.

I have used a lot of recipes and prepacked mixes over the years. One of my favorites is from Eldon's called "Colorado Jerky Cure". It is not to salty, just the right amount of spices(pepper) and is fairly inexpensive. A $10 pack will mix with 25lbs of meat.

I shoot my ground meat out of a Cabala's jerky shooter using the round tip made for beef sticks. Ten hours later it's done, just right, not to dry or chewy and dried just right. Just made 10 lbs this past weekend. Almost gone, damn kids!
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  12. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Antelope jerked from the bone. Jerking the meat allows the connective tissue to pull away from the fat. The jerked meat is salted with sea salt and a heavy coating of black pepper and ground dried chilis and onion powder. The meat is hung in the sun and wind until dry. You can jerk a whole animal very fast. This will not work in humid regions.:)
  13. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Steve,
    Do you use casings or just out of the gun into sticks?
  15. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

No casings for Jerkey, I just shoot the meat out onto the drying racks.

I used to use the tip that makes nice 1 inch wide flat jerkey strips, but I found the round tip makes for a more tender bite and is not as sensitive to over drying.