who's reloading tonight?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Got that damn tumbler going:D
  2. army mp

army mp Member

I heard a new one the other day, I ordered some brass the other day, the guy I got it from was telling me that he got his lead level checked, and it was real high, he claims the only exposure to lead is from tumbling brass in his office trailer . has anyone else heard anything like this.
  3. cycloneman

No. I wonder if he lives in an old house with old pipes. How would tumbling brass do that? strange.
  4. army mp

army mp Member

my be a bunch of BS but he said he tumble a lot of brass. anything is possible. I put dryer sheets in with the brass and it really cuts down on the dust from the walnut shells
    shootbrownelk likes this.
  5. cycloneman

I never used walnut. But I am trying something different this time. I am using fine corn cob treated. Hoping this will get the primer pocket. The corse corn cob just gets stuck in there and i have to do it by hand afterwords.
  6. army mp

army mp Member

I have always used the walnut. my brother used the corn and did not like it he did not say why. with the walnut. I stole one of those picks that came with a nut cracker set. to pick the stuff out that gets in the primer pocket. my wife is still looking for it, now she has an empty spot in the holder I would give it back to her but it just works to darn well
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Not reloading tonight - I use an out building and it is just too chilly out there, probably will be tomorrow, though.

MP - I have heard before that some people put a dryer sheet in the tumbler. Silly question - is it actually a tumbler or is it a vibrating "tumbler" that you use??
  8. army mp

army mp Member

Lyman 1200 I have two of them they are the Vibrating type I have had the one for about ten years but with loading 380, 9mm 38, 357, 45 and then the rifles I could not keep up with the one. its been a good tumbler for the money
  9. stickflinger

stickflinger New Member

it's cold out in the garage but I loaded 100 rounds for my long range ar tonite. Shooting in the morning at 500....I'm excited
  10. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I use corn cob. I used to use coated walnut but the reason I stopped is that it left a red residue on the brass.
    Now that by itself is no big deal but I started to notice alot of red residue build up on and inside the rim of my brass.
    Again what's the big deal ? I'll tell you. On revolver cartridges their is no big deal, however on any semi auto the extracter has to "bite" the rim to pull it out of the chamber. It is here that I noticed I would have to spend more time with a little toothbrush cleaning the extractor then I would like.
    Anyhow since I've stopped using coated walnut shell my cleaning of my firearms has become better.
    Sorry to hi-jack the post. No, I'm not doing any reloading tonight, I need to cast more lead bullets, and I'm out of ammo boxes.
  11. cycloneman

well i'm playing with 223's tonight.
  12. army mp

army mp Member

thats where the dryer sheets come in, I punch a hole in the center of the sheet and put it under the lid, I know what you are talking about, I was having the same problem, the dryer sheet collects all the dust I load 380 ,9mm and 45ACPand do not have any problems.
  13. RandyP

RandyP Member

Ran a scant 100 rounds of 9mm 115gr pated RN to setup my 4-die set in its own Lee turret. This Classic Turret press is a gem IMHO.

I mix up about a 3/4 to 1/4 mix of walnut-corncob, add a tbl of liquid car polish and let it run in the Lyman 1200 for about an hour (no brass) Then the mixture is good to go for brass tumbling. I also throw a couple cut up USED dryer sheets into the mix to take up the dust and discard the sheets each time.
  14. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

My lead level is also high.....but I don't see any way tumbling could have anything to do with this....I do just like everybody else....tumble, then lick the dust of each shell, then dry and polish it with my t-shirt.
    rawright54 likes this.
  15. RandyP

RandyP Member

Regarding the lead exposure, if you shoot at an indoor range that allows lead reloads, their air handling equipement NEEDS to be in tip-top shape or your exposure to inhaled lead vapor will be greater than what you get from just the primers going off.