who's reloading tonight?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

welcome smokincook:

na dont listen to music just the tv and ususally it a comedy
  2. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I would be reloading if I could find the components in stock. Nothing but empty shelves in the store and "out of stock" notices online.
  3. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

Either some nice Appalachian tap dancing by Jesco "The Dancing Outlaw" \
    or Pink Floyd....whichever mode I'm in.
  4. RandyP

RandyP Member

Tonite was 150 rounds of .380 while waiting for the chicken to bake -lol
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was out there this afternoon, loaded some 9mm and .45 ACP on the Dillon and some 5.7X28 on the Lee single stage. I'm going to the range in the morning so I will probably do some more tomorrow evening (when I get through with the honey-do's).

I ordered about $200 worth of bullets from Berry's a couple of days ago so I will be loading a bunch in the coming weeks.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

tonight i am doing the favorite, trimming, rats
  7. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    About 50 rounds of single stage and individually weighed powder charges of .223 for my Tikka darling, and prepped another 50 cases for loading tomorrow as well as sizing and prepping 50 new Winchester cases for my Mosin Nagant. Tomorrow midday wind permitting will be proof testing 2 loads for the Tikka and one for the Nagant. After that maybe a box of .22 ammo in 2 different rifles . Less than 1/2 of what I would normally shoot on an outing. Not going to deplete my reserves at this time .
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

got about 50 cases left to trim. fingers are hurting now. if i still smoked i would br doing that right now:D
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

well the stuff i trimmed a couple weeks ago now is being charged, seated and crimped. that's what i got going on tonight.
  10. army mp

army mp New Member

You say your fingers are hurting, are you using the Lee, or the crank type trimmer. I don’t know why I’m asking. I have the crank RCBS, but when the arthritis kicks in nothing helps, but I do take and put medical tape on the fingers I turn the crank with. I had some guys do some concrete block work for me and the first thing they did was tape their fingers up. It helps when doing a bunch
  11. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

no. pinch nerve in the neck that gives me problems in the hands sometimes. The height of the table and the chair have something to do with it. Sometimes no problems. Depends on what muscles i pull earlier in the day or week.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Just got done sizing and primer pocket cleaning 975 9mm rounds. I know it sounds insane but I competition shoot with a local group. It sure burns up the rounds fast.:D
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yesterday was for shooting, tonight is for: Two tumblers going at the moment, one with a couple hundred .40 S&Ws and the other with a mix of .380, 9mm, & .38spl. Have also resized a separate batch of 308 rnds of 40 S&W after giving them a tumble.
  14. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

just finished seating a batch of 223. had enough for tonight. crimp tomorrow.
  15. CJ7365

CJ7365 New Member

Just got done depriming, deburing the military crimp, and cleaning the pocket primer on 500 .223 LC cases. They are all in the tumbler now, My index finger and thumb are a little sore, but the Lee chamfer tool works like a charm to get thoses military crimps out, especially for $5.00.

Because this was my first time doing this, I even primed one case just to make sure I was taking the crimp out. Good 2 go.

I am still waiting on my .223 dies. so I am at a stand still now, time for more reading and looking at the forum.

Heres some pictures

1. .223 brass w/ military crimp
    2. .223 brass w/ miliyary crimp taking out w/ Lee chamfer tool
    3. .223 brass w/ new primer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  16. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

CJ

yea, i was where you are a month ago. i started with 500 and tonight ended up seating 462 of them. for different reasons i trashed some cases. seems like i go through a 2 week cycle. I hate the trimming stage. That is the slowest. just hate it. but one the + side all i have left for this batch is to crimp and i'll do that tomorrow.

Looks like you did a good job on the primer pockets.
  17. CJ7365

CJ7365 New Member

Thanks cycloneman.

It felt pretty good seating that primer:D

I did measure a couple of cases, and all where within .001 of the 2.26, how many times (approx) can you reload a case before you have to start trimming???
  18. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

its a strange thing. No real set of rules to follow here. it depends on the rifle and how hot you load the cases. the higher the pressure the more the brass moves. I hate to say it but you really need to measure a sample of the batch every time.

But some 25 years ago when i was plinking with a mini 14 i would just keep reloading till the necks burned. I think I got 6 reloads back then. the mini 14 eats anything. Not a picky rifle. At least mine wasn't.

buy the way i am not saying its ok to do this. i was very foolish back then. i certanly would not do this today becasue i know better. just becasue my mini 14 didn't give me problems, that doesnt mean that one day it still will not. I am sure glad I didn't have an ar style rifle back then becuase i fear what might happen with an ar style gas system and long cases.
  19. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Nice job on the military brass CJ!

I need to go out & set up the 650 for some .38's. Dinner is a bit late tonight...:(
  20. CJ7365

CJ7365 New Member

Thnx Bruce,

I guess it was to my benefit that my dies did not come with everything else, this has givin me time to really read and reread about reloading, so that I do it right the first time, and take my time.

Thanks for everyone that has givin me some advice.

Now where are my dies at? LOL

It won't take that much time, to sample a batch, thmx for the sound advice Cycloneman