who's reloading tonight?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, it's a 45-70 mold but plan on using it in the No.1 as I've not found a bullet that it really likes yet. hoping this is it, still need to run them thru the sizer and see if they will size to .459" or not. if not, then I'll have to buy a .45-70 rifle then! there's an old trap door rifle floating around the family somewhere but it's a wallhanger (unless I get a hold of it..)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/48...nt-457-diameter-500-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

I should really try some good alloy before I write off the bullet molds also to be fair. Tried most powders and IMR4064 is by far the most accurate so far. I'll show off some pics of my fresh artillery shells loaded up with these new bullets.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I happened to notice that spoon in your first picture above, looks like a "baby" spoon. I have one that I have been using since my son was a baby, he turned 40 this year.

Have a silly question - if that mold is a .457 diameter, is it possible to size them to .459?
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

just means the bullet is intended to be sized to .457 which means it drops bigger so that it can be sized correctly. So true diameter varies a bit, miked a few of them and got a little variation but it looks like most of them if not all should work. My hope is that it drops big enough to still make contact with the .459 sizer. If not, I will run it thru the .458 sizer instead but it was very obvious from the get go with my No.1 that .459" is what I need if I want to keep the bullets in the same county! Being only 2 thousandths off, I'm not too worried, I think they will size just fine to .459. wish me luck!
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah, they almost always drop fat from the mold. I was sizing my .500 gr .45/70 bullets .459" and they were dropping from a .457" mold.
  5. X Ring

X Ring Member

Spent most of this morning sorting about 5000 brass. 45acp, 9mm, 38spl, 357mag, and a few 38super, 380acp and 40s&w. Sort of inspecting and culling the herd. Ended up with a fair size box of scrap for the recycle bin. Most of the good brass is getting polished up in my 3 tumblers right now awaiting a final inspection before going into the ready to load buckets.
    I also sized and lubed 500 38cal 158g SWCs. A fair days work, I think.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

loaded up some of the 500gn bullets outta my new mold into the .458, turned out OK. Will see once I make it to the range. They did turn out big enough to go thru the .459" sizing die well, looks like even 'smoosh' all the way around.

as with one of my other molds, the gas check does not stick on very well, the bottom is just a tiny bit small. Makes sizing impossible unless I size/lube it first then stick the GC on. But they look good and hopefully they will shoot. put them in front of 62.0gns of IMR4064, should get them moving around 1800fps roughly.

my next .45 rifle mold will be sans gas checks I think. didn't take any pics yet...
  7. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Tell the truth, you got it from Highboy. We all know, so don't lie about it:D

Do you use those rifle rounds for hunting or just for practice? I really want to get into casting, if I can ever find the time, and have thought about getting me a .270 mold. But I'm not sure about hunting with them.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yep! they do pretty well for hunting, I've taken my fair share with home cast bullets; and good luck to the poor soul that gets in front of that damn .458!

commercial bullets have a better capability with all that's available nowadays but the home cast work just fine too.

and we all know about Highboy and his nail polish! hahahaa, I heard he's pretty experienced with the stuff :eek: I'm just a rookie...
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

man I'm lagging behind!

I just started a new job and havn't even taken the cloth off my reload bench in a couple weeks!
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

forgot to comment on the spoon, it's actually a large one! it's almost a serving spoon size, not quite but much larger than a table spoon. The bullets are just humongous! makes it look smaller.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

OK, I can't stop taking pictures of my reloading crap. This thread makes me realize how badly I'm addicted; anytime I stroll into the shop for anything, I wind up turning one of the progressive loaders a few times, or getting sidetracked into organizing or sorting brass, bullets, etc... The 12g 9000 MEC is always set up with my skeet loads and I bought another 1000 pack of .40 FMJ's to load so the Dillon is munching out .40 cal still.

Made some more 12g slugs from my home cast Lee key drive 7/8oz mold this morning, 38gns of HS-6 with a WAA12L wad (petals cut off). Ordered a roll crimper, should be roll crimping these bad boys next week! Messed with the finish crimp adjustment to try and get it perfect, most are good, a few were less than ideal. I must have a couple hundred of these loaded up now, next trip to the woods will equal a slug-a-palooza!

[​IMG]
  12. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Thats awesome. Last night I finished loading up some #5 shot upland loads. cleaned primer pockets on over 500 38sp shells and started priming them. Broke my kinetic bullet puller while pulling some bullets. The cap that holds the metal piece broke off:mad: darn I have to go shopping today:D sorted out my last haul of range brass after it finished tumbling.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Working on replacing the 45/70's that Big Chevy and I blew off last Friday. Just ordered 100 .50 A&E's.

Attached Files:

14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

you know.. after reading tons of these reloading posts. as much as each of us has a lil different setup on our benches.. I see that 'great minds' think alike in many ways!
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

OMG, I found my new favorite thing in reloading; the roll crimp baby! She showed up early, got home today and my MidwayUSA order had arrived after only 2 days!

12g BPI standard 12g roll crimp gizmo:

[​IMG]

same load as the slugs I posted above but with a much nicer looking crimp! first two were OK but not quite deep enough, then the next three came out perfect!

[​IMG]

it's like crack cocaine, I will be roll crimping the crap outta all my slug/buckshot loads now, I probably won't be able to stop until I run outta hulls!
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

GunClinger, what kinda handle is that on your press? Is that an older style or is it a custom add on? just curious

Eyeballing your loading blocks too, I like the routed edges, need to get another bit big enough to do some for the .458's. your boo-lits are lookin' good!
  17. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

and my dad made up some drop tubes for my Belding and Mull powder measure;

[​IMG]

now I have 4 total and can leave a couple on some of my standard/favorite loads.
  18. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

That press is an old RCBS that a friend gave me. I dont know if the handle came with it or if he took it off his trycicle.:D
    Here is a thread I posted on how I made the blocks.http://thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=92514&highlight=loading blocks
  19. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

very nice Gunclinger, those are very good lookin' blocks. I just made a couple, need to aquire some better hardwood (hopefully some walnut) and make a bunch more.

This little drill press is worth it's weight in gold to me; loading blocks made easy, roll crimps.... and tons of other stuff.

off to make some more slug shells... then I have 4 cords of wood to stack before vacation....
  20. zant

zant Member

Just got done reloading 20-6.5x06 so I can RE-SIGHT in the rifle I just sighted in...:)Grabbed 6.5x06 I've have'nt shot-boresighted-ran 10rds through-doing 3/4"at 200yds after dialing in...put aside so I could shoot .308 and bumped rifle over......fired 2 more rds and did'nt even hit target:).......I love screwing up-get to shoot more..