who's reloading tonight?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

no. pinch nerve in the neck that gives me problems in the hands sometimes. The height of the table and the chair have something to do with it. Sometimes no problems. Depends on what muscles i pull earlier in the day or week.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Just got done sizing and primer pocket cleaning 975 9mm rounds. I know it sounds insane but I competition shoot with a local group. It sure burns up the rounds fast.:D
  3. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yesterday was for shooting, tonight is for: Two tumblers going at the moment, one with a couple hundred .40 S&Ws and the other with a mix of .380, 9mm, & .38spl. Have also resized a separate batch of 308 rnds of 40 S&W after giving them a tumble.
  4. cycloneman

just finished seating a batch of 223. had enough for tonight. crimp tomorrow.
  5. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

Just got done depriming, deburing the military crimp, and cleaning the pocket primer on 500 .223 LC cases. They are all in the tumbler now, My index finger and thumb are a little sore, but the Lee chamfer tool works like a charm to get thoses military crimps out, especially for $5.00.

Because this was my first time doing this, I even primed one case just to make sure I was taking the crimp out. Good 2 go.

I am still waiting on my .223 dies. so I am at a stand still now, time for more reading and looking at the forum.

Heres some pictures

1. .223 brass w/ military crimp
    2. .223 brass w/ miliyary crimp taking out w/ Lee chamfer tool
    3. .223 brass w/ new primer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. cycloneman

CJ

yea, i was where you are a month ago. i started with 500 and tonight ended up seating 462 of them. for different reasons i trashed some cases. seems like i go through a 2 week cycle. I hate the trimming stage. That is the slowest. just hate it. but one the + side all i have left for this batch is to crimp and i'll do that tomorrow.

Looks like you did a good job on the primer pockets.
  7. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

Thanks cycloneman.

It felt pretty good seating that primer:D

I did measure a couple of cases, and all where within .001 of the 2.26, how many times (approx) can you reload a case before you have to start trimming???
  8. cycloneman

its a strange thing. No real set of rules to follow here. it depends on the rifle and how hot you load the cases. the higher the pressure the more the brass moves. I hate to say it but you really need to measure a sample of the batch every time.

But some 25 years ago when i was plinking with a mini 14 i would just keep reloading till the necks burned. I think I got 6 reloads back then. the mini 14 eats anything. Not a picky rifle. At least mine wasn't.

buy the way i am not saying its ok to do this. i was very foolish back then. i certanly would not do this today becasue i know better. just becasue my mini 14 didn't give me problems, that doesnt mean that one day it still will not. I am sure glad I didn't have an ar style rifle back then becuase i fear what might happen with an ar style gas system and long cases.
  9. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Nice job on the military brass CJ!

I need to go out & set up the 650 for some .38's. Dinner is a bit late tonight...:(
  10. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

Thnx Bruce,

I guess it was to my benefit that my dies did not come with everything else, this has givin me time to really read and reread about reloading, so that I do it right the first time, and take my time.

Thanks for everyone that has givin me some advice.

Now where are my dies at? LOL

It won't take that much time, to sample a batch, thmx for the sound advice Cycloneman
  11. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

Nice job on those primer pockets, CJ7365 (Rob).

I've got a Hornady primer pocket reamer that I haven't used, yet. I have several thousands of .308 military crimp cases and several thousand more of .223 like also with the crimp.

Is it better to use a reamer than a chamfering tool? Or are they pretty much the same? Sorry if this question has been asked (repeatedly).

Cheers,
    Bruce Lewis
  12. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I also meant to say that I'm reloading some more .308 tonight and tomorrow. I'm going to bump up the powder a step and load five then bump it up again and load five more up to the load _under_ the max load (four sets in all).

I'm using twice fired Winchester brass and Vihtavouri N150 with 150gr Hornady bullets.

I'm full length resizing and using a set of Lee Pacesetter dies with the factory crimp. That took a bit to figure out. But I like it.

I guess I'll probably have to trim these next time (maybe even this time).

Cheers,
    Bruce Lewis
  13. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

Gonna be some long nights ahead sorting and separating....about 400lbs worth of pistol brass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I do things in batches. Tonite I am tumbling 45 ACP brass and working on de-priming a Cleaned batch. My range is closed all week for the Mid America Shoot so I'll probably spend tom orrow after working powdering and seating the bulllets. All I do, at this point, is 45ACP.
  15. techoca

techoca New Member

Rembrant,
    man am I jealous, look at all that brass.