who's reloading tonight?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

Nice job on those primer pockets, CJ7365 (Rob).

I've got a Hornady primer pocket reamer that I haven't used, yet. I have several thousands of .308 military crimp cases and several thousand more of .223 like also with the crimp.

Is it better to use a reamer than a chamfering tool? Or are they pretty much the same? Sorry if this question has been asked (repeatedly).

Cheers,
    Bruce Lewis
  2. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I also meant to say that I'm reloading some more .308 tonight and tomorrow. I'm going to bump up the powder a step and load five then bump it up again and load five more up to the load _under_ the max load (four sets in all).

I'm using twice fired Winchester brass and Vihtavouri N150 with 150gr Hornady bullets.

I'm full length resizing and using a set of Lee Pacesetter dies with the factory crimp. That took a bit to figure out. But I like it.

I guess I'll probably have to trim these next time (maybe even this time).

Cheers,
    Bruce Lewis
  3. Rembrandt

Rembrandt New Member

Gonna be some long nights ahead sorting and separating....about 400lbs worth of pistol brass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

I do things in batches. Tonite I am tumbling 45 ACP brass and working on de-priming a Cleaned batch. My range is closed all week for the Mid America Shoot so I'll probably spend tom orrow after working powdering and seating the bulllets. All I do, at this point, is 45ACP.
  5. techoca

techoca New Member

Rembrant,
    man am I jealous, look at all that brass.
  6. CJ7365

CJ7365 New Member

Bruce,

Thanks for the compliment

Can tell you about the reamer, cuz, this was my first time, and I was using the Lee chamfering, and after I did the 500 rounds this weekend, I think it is getting dull or my fingers are just worn out, but anyways I did order the Hornady reamer and another Lee chamfering tool on Sunday, it looks like it will work and might be more forgiving on the fingers cuz its got a handle.

To make sure I was taking enough off, every so often, maybe after 50 or so, I would seat a old primer just to make sure i was taking enough off, I know the old primer would go in easier, but just using it as a guide.

I did find some .223 dies on Midsouthshooter supply, they are the RCBS, they will be here on Thursday, I just cant wait anymore, my Lee dies have been on order since March 4.

Well Bruce that is a lot of brass, you need a couple of kids helping you out, I got my son involved, he's 14, I gave him the easy task of depriming, of course I could not keep up with him:mad:
  7. RogerWilco99

RogerWilco99 New Member

I'll look on the MidSouthShooter site again for 223 dies. I really like the Lee Pacesetter set. I have had a set on order from Lee since March 16. I sent them an email yesterday inquiring about my order status (and cancelling the 308 die set since I got mine from MidwayUSA). They responded within a couple of hours stating that did not know the availability of the 223 set and that they could not project a ship date, yet. (and that they had removed the 308 set from my order). They actually sent me an invoice with an order number on it. So, perhaps it will ship soon. Perhaps you should email them about your order, Rob?

I tried the Hornady primer pocket reamer this morning. It works but it does take a good bit of effort. I seated some new primers in the 20 that I reamed, cleaned and uniformed.

With all the brass I've got, I'm thinking of getting one of those motorized RCBS "Trim Mate" brass processor thingies. I have an RCBS crimp remover that will work with that, I think. That might be easier than doing it all by hand. I just don't want it to be able ruin primer pockets with a machine.

Does anyone here use one of those machines? Are they worth the money? Are they reliable? Do they work as advertized? Do they make a lot of noise? My wife hates "noisy" hobbies -- she already complains about the noise of brass tumblers.

Cheers,
    Bruce
  8. CJ7365

CJ7365 New Member

I figure I wont cancel the 223 dies I have on order from Lee, when they eventually come in, they will be backup.

I thought about the eletric trim mate as well, but I figure, If I go ahead and grin and bear it and do 1000 pieces, I should be set for a while, and in the mean time my fingers will recover:D
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Well I havent reloaded in a few weeks but I helped a good friend of mine set up his press today and got him started. Poor fella he doesn't have a clue how addictive this is.
  10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

ROFL I hear that cycloneman! And it pleases you to no end when you get them just right!
  11. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Well I wasn't planning on any reloading today, but somehow I ended up by the old gun shop, and decided to browse. What did they have on a shelf? Two bags of once fired Winchester 7.62X54R. And the best part is the idiot who filled them could not count. They were marked 50 cases, I had 103 when they came out of the tumbler.

They are tumbled, sized, and reprimed. Probably finish them all tomorrow.
  12. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For the last six weekends I've been shooting and loading for my .40's exclusively.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Not re-loading tonight, but am working on moving my bench to the house where I live now. I built it when we were living in a trailer house, prior to building the new home. Just got to move it over here so I don't have to walk over to the trailer to re-load. Went by the old gun shop the other day, and picked up 500 lead bullets in .44, and 500 in .45. Haven't tried the lead .45's as of yet in my 1911A clone, but will be giving it a workout on these for a while.
  14. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I will be cranking out about 400 rnds of .45 for plinking

4.9 gr of Clays under a 185gr Rainier FP TCJ with my few remaining WLP's. A local shop has some primers in stock now, but is limiting to 100 only :confused: at $5.40/100 he's making a healthy return, not quite as much of a raping as I've seen on some online auctions and such, but still spendy.
    I did get to do some shooting today, I took my old neighbor out to the range for his introduction to firearms. ( he's a transplant from our liberal neighborly north, eh? ) After an hour of safety, instruction, disassembly and proper stance, sight picture and squeeze, we were ready to get some rounds down range. He "was amazed that this could be so much FUN".......... and to that, I told him, " well, no $%^#..." lol He's asked to go back out and try out some "black guns"..... who knows, maybe he'll be buying a gaz guzzling truck and own a dog before the end of the year. :D;):D
  15. woolleyworm

16. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I just went out to the shed for some bigger C clamps that I knew I had out there but jsut wasn't sure where. I'll use them to clamp my presses down to my temp reloading bench. I think I'll work up five more test rounds for the .30-06 and then resize some .38 brass and maybe .25-06 too.
  17. woolleyworm

I use clamps also, my press is mounted onto a healthy piece of 2x8. I use the V clamps, they have a split foot which disperses the load and grips tighter. I bought them at home depot and they've worked very well.
  18. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have mi presses mounted on some of the dense particle board that cabinate tops are made of. It is heavy duty stuff and seems to work good for this. I just need something better than a folding table to mount it to.:D
  19. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Rembrant, I am not an envious man but if I was, those two bins would just about do it. How many rounds of whatever is 400# of brass? I don,t know how many rounds of .38 brass I have but it probably runs in the low thousands and it dosn,t make near that big a pile.
  20. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Just knocked off 50 .45 ACP just before getting ready for dinner.