who's reloading tonight?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Wow hello thread. I have about 850 cleaned, trimmed and primed ready to seat (308's) Been like that since the last time I saw this thread. Need to get to it.
  2. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Although I've been doing a fair amount of loading the last couple of months, last night was the first with my new Dillon RL550B.
    Received it yesterday, set it up, got it adjusted for .38 Spl 148gr HBWC loads and cranked out 200 rounds in short order. Terrific machine and happy camper! :D
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

+1 Congrats !! :cool: :cool:
  4. BobMcG

Might be another convert in the near future. A buddy just left after checking out the new Dillon... very impressed. :D
    Like me, he's been loading single stage forever. A difference though is that he started loading (& casting) in 1958 as opposed to my 1973 start-up. Oh well, that could all change with the demo he just saw. He loves it and will most likely be getting one for himself. When he gets back from the range he's getting his catalog out.

Now, I think it's time to head to the range myself with one of my 1895 .405s. I finally found another proper front sight (original bead was broken off) that the factory letter says was ordered and the rifle left the factory with. Time to re-sight. :)
  5. doug66

doug66 New Member

[​IMG]
    200 357 mag rds
  6. BobMcG

I managed to get some needed work done. First off I hit a single stage press and reloaded the thirty .405 Win. rounds I shot last weekend and then loaded some more for good measure. Next it was on to making up some more .38spl wadcutters with the 550 to replace those expended two weekends ago and lastly I set up the Dillon for the first time to load up a batch of .357mag SWCs replacing those fired three weekends ago. Next session will be to make up even more .357mag SWCs.
  7. doug66

doug66 New Member

100_0664.jpg 44 Mag
    8.0 gr. Unique
    240 gr. Lee TL
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Bob, I've had my 550B for about 6 months. I had only used Lee single stage for years and years. I started out with just one tool head and reloaded .40S&W. I now have three complete set-ups with the tool head, dies, powder drop, and the whole shooting match. All I have to do is remove one and stick another one in (and a couple of other minor adjustments) and go to reloading again.

I just love this Blue Press. I just bought a .223 conversion kit and am looking for a "deal" on another tool head and powder die. This will be my first rifle set-up for it and am looking forward to getting started with it. I've got about 5 or 6 hundred pieces of brass just waiting for me.

I still use the Lee press for all my other rifle cartridges.
  9. cycloneman

Bump

anybody doing the deed? hehehehehe
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was out de-priming and resizing some .223 brass earlier today. My 6 year old Grandson wandered out to see what I was doing so I let him help me. He probably did about 200 of them with me watching him. He asked a lot of questions about what was going on so I think I have a budding new reloader on my hands. I was using my single stage Lee press and he was having a ball. We did all the .223 that I had so he wanted to start on the .45 and .40 brass. I told him the the next time he was visiting we would "do them on that blue press over there". I took some pictures of him but "Idiot Boy" here deleted them trying to transfer them to the computer.

I gave up on trying to get the powder charge die working on the Dillon press. It would drop a different weight of powder every time, so I just decided to go back to the Lee. I just weight every charge before I drop it into the case.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Did 100 .223's last night with 25grs. Win. 748 behind 55gr. SPBT. This evening I sized 100 new .357 mags. which are in the tumbler now and am spending the time sizing 100 new .45 colt which I just finished and will now get the primers out. It is 36 degrees and raining so I can stay in the basement and have fun and not fret about the weather. After the big meal tomorrow will stick some power in those revolver rounds.

Todd
  12. dmh

dmh New Member

Wind chill here is up to -26F right now :eek: so I did some casting and am going to load up at least 100 9mm from this sea of bullets.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  13. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

I just picked up a very nice Remington XP-100 in .221 Fireball and worked up several loads for it today. Gawd, are those cases tiny (I'm used to loading .308).

[​IMG]

And,

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  14. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Finished loading 500 .45 acp's this morning, and now I'm working on .357 target/plinking loads. For my .45's I used Berry's 200 gr swc bullets and 5.0 grains of Bullseye. I was using AA#2, but that was working too well, so I had to try and screw it up. LOL So, now I'm using .357 140 grain sjhp bullets and 6.5 grains of Titegroup. I've had very good luck with Titegroup in my GP100.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

playing mainly

got the hi power tap o caps and putting them into home made hollow points for the .22 LR to see how it goes , will test tonight and report

made a nice little tool to make the hollow but also leave a raised "hammer' in the centre
  16. cycloneman

Cant think of nothing better to do with this awful weather. I am breaking out some powder.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ill be prepping match .308 brass for my new criterion barrel coming in next week, its gonna get fitted to my savage 11 action.

Might load up some 9s and .45s too...
  18. cycloneman

I am working on 308's and trying to choose a powder. its between tac and h380. might flip a coin. this is just to plink with.
  19. cycloneman

anybody ever use x-truded by accurate xmr4064. i have a couple puonds of it and sure would like to burn them up. i guess i will have to dig for load data.
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I run varget in my .308 loads... Ill check n see if i got accurate data for the Xtruded4064 in the .308