The Firearms Forum banner

Who's shot their Chrony?

4K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Avirginian 
#1 ·
I know I shouldn't be admiting this but I shot mine the second time I ever took it out. So it kinda seemed to me that its easy to do. I was so suprised when it happened because I didn't even see it in the scope!:eek: I cut one of the rods half way through with a .308 round. So I was wondering if anyone has the courage to admit they shot their own chrony(or worse yet a freinds Chrony!) and maybe a bit of a story behind your episode.:)

#2 ·
The left and right gate is once inch wide, and the up and down is a foot.

Real hard to hit the side posts. WHen you use a chrony, you dont aim thru it.
You posture yourself so you can see the gates, and hip shoot it.

If for some reason you have a need to chorny 50-100 yards. Tape a cardboard on the front bars and use a box knife and cut a box in the center between the gates and shoot thru the hole.

No I have never hit any chrony

#3 ·
Not sure what your talking about Rocky, especially with the hip shot comment and the cardboard hole, but this thread was meant to be humourous and light-hearted. I wasn't lookin to be chastised, besides you completely ignored my title. "Who's shot their Chrony" not "Who has never shot their Chrony"! Your comments seem to just pour more salt on my wound.:( Sorry if you mis-understood but this was posted for people who do make mistakes and simply laugh it off so long as no one is hurt.:)

#6 ·
Not yet but I did blow the rods all over being too close to the muzzle blast, then an old man came up with the idea to use dowel rods the same diameter and replace them for penny's if you do shoot them by accident.

#9 ·
312 Shooter I was advised by Unclenick on another forum to use wooden dowels. Sounds like good advise, this way if you hit the rod there won't be as much of a shock to the chrony.
Rocket it appears to me that your completely serious about this and are taking all the fun out of the reason I posted this thread. I'll simply assume your joking and I just don't understand the point your making.

#10 · (Edited)
312 Shooter I was advised by Unclenick on another forum to use wooden dowels. Sounds like good advise, this way if you hit the rod there won't be as much of a shock to the chrony.
Rocket it appears to me that your completely serious about this and are taking all the fun out of the reason I posted this thread. I'll simply assume your joking and I just don't understand the point your making.
Rocket is like that. I mean, look at his avatar. Look at the UN helmet. You did not phrase your question correctly 312. I suggest in the future you phrase it like this:

"I know I shouldn't be admiting this but I shot mine the second time I ever took it out. So it kinda seemed to me that its easy to do. I was so suprised when it happened because I didn't even see it in the scope!:eek: I cut one of the rods half way through with a .308 round. So I was wondering if anyone (except Rocket J Squirl) has the courage to admit they shot their own chrony(or worse yet a freinds Chrony!) (or worse yet Rocket J Squirl's chrony) and maybe a bit of a story (funny story Rocket J Squirl, funny:D) behind your episode.:)"

That ought to do it.:D

#11 ·
I have not shot mine yet, but its commonplace to do so. The newer ones recommend the use of wood rods or plastic straws when not using the, diffusers. On another sight I was on They showed an enclosed plywood box with a clear plastic top. They were talking about how Black powder will mess up the photo cell. Also, by using the plywood box. The rods are mounted to the wood and not the photo sensors. I have heard just hitting the metal rods can break the photo cell.

#13 ·
Suwannee Tim, thanks for the perspective.:) I thought I was losing my mind because of the angle he took on this.
I posted something similar to this on another forum and already have a half a dozen stories of accidental slaughter of their chrony. One guy said after shooting it he mounted it on the wall!:D

#16 · (Edited)
I never shot one. I do not own one. Only because if I have one, I will shoot one. I have made many one hole groups. And somehow I know the day a chrony is downrange of my gun that will be the day my gun will put a flier directly though the unit itself and prove that some varmint bullets are good anti-material bullets just the same as a 50BMG slug.

#20 ·
No just kidding. Yesterday was the first day in two weeks. The humidity was less than 70 percent and not raining. Just a bad day. Mix of sun and clouds. I have 4 rifles I am working up new loads for hunting season and running out of time. on a day like yesterday its hard to get a good string.

#22 ·
Mine has been wounded twice.
My brother let a friend shoot thru it, literally. He replaced it.
Then I was testing 55 grn FMJ, saboted from a .308win, and the sabot dropped out and mashed the front of the chrony. That was a good excuse to upgrade my chrony.
I have since made a steel protector plate, for use when I'm shooting sabots.

#23 ·
I have destroyed 2 chronys. My first, and f1 shootin chrony i hit with a damn .44 mag loaded hot woth 300 gr XTPs. I flinched the shot and hit the left diffuser leg right at the base, which turned the bullet down and to the right and into the secondary sensor housing. thereby rendering it a hundered dollar paperweight... my second, an alpha chrony i hit with a .480 ruger pistol trying to chrony at 25 yds. I had my scope set for 50 yds and apparently those 400 gr slugs are a tad low at 25 (bullet still climbing) and I hit the front sensor square in the center. didnt even bother picking that one up, i just left it in the field. I have now, my third and hopefully final chrony, a master chrony which has had thousands of rounds fired through it with no mishaps.... so far.

#24 ·
My master chrony is on the third set of rods. :eek: I think I'll switch to wooden dowels. Either that or stop trying to play at longer distances and move it back to 15 yards like I started out doing. But then, I use it a lot, probably every two weeks or so as I try new loads. But I've never shot the CHRONY itself!!:p

#26 ·
I shoot a lot of air guns and their performance will decline as the springs wear out. You can monitor the decline with a chronograph. These little pellets cast a fleeting shadow so you need to get close to the slot. Really close. But not too close. Fortunately the pellet usually only puts a dent in the sensor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.