1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Why .22 Short, Long, Long Rifle?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by otisrush, Dec 18, 2010.

1. otisrush

otisrush New Member

The subject pretty much is the question. Why the different .22s? My dad had a bunch of .22 short and fortunately I've got stuff to put them in. It just made me wonder why the different .22s existed.

Thanks.

OR
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

otisrush

In a word: Variety

When plinking squirrels from the bird feeder; a .22 CB cap is fine (low noise; range).
    A .22 LR takes care of the squirrel and the feeder.

A .22 short started out life as a "gallery gun" cartridge; still o.k. for plinking tin cans and such.

.22 long are pretty much obsolete now.

.22LR are for squirrels way up in oak trees; rabbits in a feild; crows; and on the range.

.22 shotshells are rat and snake medicine; no ricochets; stray bullets; or holes in the barn.

And you can do all this stuff; cheap; with one singleshot bolt action .22.

The .22WMR is another story.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  3. ghrit

ghrit New Member

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Why is simple. In the pre-smokeless powder days, the only way to make a cartridge more powerful was to put more powder in it. The only way to do that, because the case was already full of powder, was to make the case longer.

44 Russian got lengthened and became 44 Special, which lengthened and became 44 Magnum. 38 Colt was lengthened and became 38 Long Colt, was lengthened and became 38 Special. 2" 12 gauge became 2 1/2" 12 gauge, then 2 3/4", the 3", then 3 1/2".

Same with the 22. First S&W lengthened the CB cap, put powder in it and made the extremely powerful 22 rimfire. Later they lengthened the 22 rimfire, so they could put more powder in it, making it more powerful. This new round was called the 22 Long, so the original 22 rimfire was now called the 22 Short. Then they lengthened the Long, again so they could add more powder and make it more powerful. They also used a heavier bullet. This new round, designed for rifles only (it was too powerful for use in pistols) was the Long Rifle.

Shorts are still around because they are extremely accurate. With their non-existent recoil and great accuracy, they are used in target shooting. Long Rifles are the best 22 around. The Long just kinda sits there. Doesn't sell very good, because anything it can do, the Long Rifle can do better. Some people still buy them, either because they have an old gun that won't take Long Rifles, or they (the people) are old and remember the "powerful 22 Long" from when they were young. I expect it to disappear within the next ten years or so. I don't think they sell enough to make it worthwhile to manufacture.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the 22 short was developed in 1857. then they came out with the 22 long in about 1871. both of these used 29 or 30 grain weight bullets.

then in 1881 i believe they came out with 22 extra long. this used a 40 grain bullet.

in 1887 j stevens arms invented the 22 lr by combining the case of the 22 long and the bullet of the 22 extra long. thus making the 22 long rifle

so the various 22's were not developed to give a variety, but as a progression. each being better suited to the ideals of the makers then the last.
  6. otisrush

otisrush New Member

Thanks so much for the replies and info. I really appreciate it.

I still kind of get a chuckle out of the fact that - after all the various ways this shooting hobby can pull us (shotgun, pistol, semi, revolver, rifle, big caliber stuff, accessories, etc. etc. etc.) there is just something basic and at the core of fun that appeals to me about taking a .22 bolt action and trying to hit that smallest spinner target while standing up.

OR
  7. 22shot

22shot New Member

otisrush

I agree.

And then there are the .22LR loadings; SP; HP; Trunciated; Sub Sonic; Standard; Hi Velocity; Hyper Velocity; take your choice.
  8. johnlives4christ

love to shoot with my ruger single six. nothing like cocking back the hammer on a single action and hitting a distant coke can
  9. dualsportrider

dualsportrider New Member

I agree with John, the single six is a hoot to shoot.
  10. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

Can you even buy .22 Shorts anymore?
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

12. johnlives4christ

you can get shorts at walmart or your local gunstore too
  13. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

I recently bought one of the few remaining rifles that can handle shorts, longs, and long rifles.

It is a Marlin 981T.

I got it so I can shoot "rat shot" and Collibri.

None of the LR only rifles feed them properly because they are a weird length.

Yeah, I know Collibri is for handguns only, but the tube fed Marlin handles them just fine.
  14. JOAQUÍN

JOAQUÍN New Member

No estoy de acuerdo con NRAguy porque la Marlin 39as puede disparar perfectamente .22short, .22long y .22l.r. todos mezclados y sin problemas
  15. K75RT

K75RT Member

Es evidente que usted está leyendo los mensajes en Inglés, ¿por qué no publicar en Inglés?
    And in OUR native tongue;Obviously you are reading the posts in English, why not post in English?