Why are Kimbers better or are they?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by LDBennett, Jul 6, 2006.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Everytime I see a post that asks about this 1911 or that 1911, someone comes back with "For a few dollars more you can have a Kimber".

1). What makes Kimbers better than anyone elses 1911?

2). Since all share the same base design (Colt 1911 government model) why is Kimber better? Is it really or is it that it just cost more so it "has to be " better?

Convince me, please. I wish to be enlightened.

I see the new Taurus 1911 is to be released at the end of the year. It has been already tested by a magazine or two and heralded as the next best thing to a custom 1911 with all the common custom house bells and whistles as standard equipment for a price that is less than the entry level Kimber with no bells and whistles. I have owned Taurus (Beretta 92 clone) before and there is nothing wrong with their pistols. Why pay more for less with a Kimber? Since the base design is the same it certainly can not be for innovative design (???).

LDBennett
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

This 3" dot was shot at 50 yards with a Kimber Custom Target and some of my reloads.

Kimber has always been an excellent 1911. They are built tight, reliable and accurate. And all come with the "bells and whistles". I always try to form my own opinions about a firearm after I get to examine and fire one. As you already know, the gun mags do articles to sell the product. Doesn't matter if it's Colt, Springfield Armory,Kimber,Taurus,etc, most articles will tell you what you want to hear.

A picture is worth a thousand words but if the new Taurus 1911 shoots as good as the Kimbers I have owned, I'll buy one myself.

Attached Files:

3. KobraCarry

KobraCarry New Member

I've had two Kimbers and though they look great and are light to carry, I'm not overlly impressed. They are without question better that many other production 1911a. But I had to send both of mine back to Kimber on several occassions to fix one problem or another. Save your pennies and buy a Wilson or Ed Brown. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier. Mostly what I hated about Kimber was the "holier that thou" attitude I got every time I had to call their customer service or custom shop.
  4. cec

cec New Member

When I bought my Kimber, it came down to cost.

Out of the box the Kimber had all the options I wanted. I was looking a less expensive brand, but I realized that by the time I modified it, the cost would be more than the Kimber I was looking at (also meant less time in the shop and more at my side).

I don't know if it so much as Kimber is much better than the others, it just seems that they come with the most common options/modifications already in place for not much more.

I was looking at Wilson's but since I couldn't take another loan out on my house, I went with the Kimber. :D
  5. BigV

BigV New Member

I currently own 2 Kimbers ( Eclipse ULE II and Ultra CDP II), and must say that out of the box, you would be hard pressed to find a more accurate and/or reliable 1911. I am not saying the Kimber doesn’t have their share of problems, they do. But you will find problems with any 1911 manufacturer. [​IMG]
  6. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

i bought my Dad a KIMBER .22 MATCH TARGET CONVERSION KIT for his pair of custom built 1911A1`s...

its accuracy is astounding right out of the box...

Kimber does not cut corners, does not outsource, does not make thing "good enough" but insists on excellance...

best regards, mike.
  7. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Hate to tell you this, Mike. Kimber outsourced that .22 MATCH TARGET CONVERSION KIT from Ciener. How do I know? I bought one. Then was looking at a Ciener kit at the LGS. Exact same items, just one has the KIMBER name nicely engraved on it while the other doesn't.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you Kimber and Ciener 22 conversion guys but the Marvel Precision 22 conversion makes the Kimber/Ciener units look to be mediocre in accuracy. The Marvel trick is that the barrel and sights (front and rear) are all rigidly attached to the frame and only the bolt moves. This a proven technique for better accuracy: S&W model 41, Hi Std Victor and Trophy, Buckmark taget models, etc. It works!

Marvel knows the difference as they also make a tactical version that works like the Cierner with a moving slide with the rear sights on it (Unit 2). They claim good accuracy from it but much better accuracy from the Unit one. My Unit 1 Marvel is perhaps the most accurate 22 pistol I have (mounted on a Colt Delta Elite frame with custom trigger parts) and I have the old standbys (S&W model 41, Hi Std Victor and Trophy, and others) to compare it to.

Thought you might like to know this. Sorry to gloat but it is hard not to.

LDBennett
  10. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

amen to the marvel, i had one and it really shoots
    bhk308
  11. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

I hate to put my two cents in ......but I will ....I own several Kimbers and for the money you pay for them and the goodies that come with it....the price is fair.....you can't beat them. I also have some good guns like the Wilson Combat Classic which cost $ 2600.00 new and the Kimber super match shoots just as well and cost approx. $ 1,000.00 less.

As I said ....for all the extra's that you get with the gun ....it's a fair price.

I was lucky when I had to send a gun back to Kimber, they fixed it and shipped it rite back to me.............

New story..........Kimber just went into production like a manufacturing line.....
    beware of the new ones coming out ......might have less quailty checks since they went to manufacturing on production line.
  12. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

LDB, you don't have to apologize to me to tell me that Marvel has the better unit. They absolutely do. I went looking for a "matching" conversion kit for my Kimber and had to have a Kimber. I haven't really regretted it, just wish I'd spent less money on it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably buy the Marvel, hands-down.
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I believe Kimber is better than your cheaper 1911's. They are proven reliable, just the right tightness, and great looks and customization right out of the box. I've shot my Gold Combat with 2-3 Wilsons and Wilson tuned guns and it shot as well or better. And it was about 1K less, like Kimber Man said. I'll shoot a Kimber for my carry weapon unless I can get a Wilson, then I will trade out every couple weeks just for fun. I wont carry an "off brand" so to speak. I'm not saying that high dollar guns are the way to go, but I know the ones that I choose are going to be reliable. If you are wanting a plinking gun, the brand and model doesn't matter near as much. From the few Taurus' auto's I've seen, I'll not get one. Bottom line: you generally get what you pay for. That's my .02, whatever that's worth.
  14. KobraCarry

KobraCarry New Member

Exactly. I wasn't trying to sound snobish earlier, either. I'm just a poor cop. But over all the years I've been shooting; and all the numerous makes and models of guns I've shot over the years; I've learned you do get what you pay for. Kimber by no means are cheap or inexpensive guns. I really love the looks of them and overall, their quality is at the upper end of the spectrum. People always freak out about MIM parts, but they can all be replaced if and when they ever need to. I personally decided however that I do not need to own a safe full of guns. So instead of buying, trading and selling many $500 type guns, I prefer to save and own just a couple better quality high end guns (like Ed Brown or Wilson). Are they worth the price they cost? All I know is their value never goes down and their customer service is great. That to me makes them worth their price.