why are there so many ticks

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 38 special, Apr 27, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I called this supposed tick expert He has a Phd in bug study (entomology?) and specialized in ticks. I first thought ticks were a result of the excessively warm winters we had been having (this year was colder so I'm more optimistic)but he said the cold didnt have much to do with it .He said the deer population was the cause. I told him not in this case. The deer poulation is drastically reduced from what it was , and back when you could see 20 or more deer on the first day, there were No ticks. He got angry because I mentioned this and ask if I was trying to argue with him. I told him I was just looking for the cause of the ticks coming in To make a long story short ,He had had no valid reasons at all. His supposed Phd education was sadly lacking. He was more interested in pretending he was smart than actually thinking about it. I read the other post about DDt maybe there is something to that. I still dont know why ticks are here now.
  2. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

That guy sounds like a buffoon.

Any of us could probably gather enough info off the web to make a semi-educated guess. In the end, who knows? Bugs do what bugs want. All I know is, I hate bugs. :mad: Right now, I hate blackflies even more than ticks.:(
  3. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

It's obomba's fault.
  4. 38 special

38 special New Member

Good One.
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have seen the fewest in So NH in several years. Maybe it's because we have fewer PHD's around.;)
  6. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

For the last ten years, they have bee getting progressively worse here in Maryland. I thought it was just a "Bloom" but it hasn't broke yet.
    My wife has found six or seven so far this year. It really creeps her out. Funny thing is, I haven't found one yet!
    My wife has a theory,
    "Deer ticks, don't eat s**T!"
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

We are having a terrible time with ticks in Texas. My vet told me that they are killing cattle just 20 miles down the road from me.
    He suggested soaking my hunting clothes in a permethrin solution and then letting them hang dry.
    Solution he suggested is as follows:
    1. Buy Tengard or Permethrin Pro or any other brand of permethrin that lists 30% to 33% Permethrin concentrate.
    2. Mix a solution using 1 oz. of 33% Permethrin concentrate to 1 gallon of water. (2oz. Permethrin with 2 gallons of water, etc)
    3. Soak clothes until clothes are completely saturated.
    4. Wring out by hand and hang dry on clothes line (do not dry in dryer)

He also suggested giving my dogs a final rinse with a Permethrin solution after I have shampood and rinsed them with plain water. Final rinse should be 1/4 oz. Permethrin in 1 gallon of water. He said to work the final rinse into their fur with my hand. After final rinse with Permethrin solution just towel dry the dog and do not use a hair dryer.
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
  8. fyimo

fyimo New Member

When I moved to Arkansas 7 years ago I couldn't believe how bad the ticks are and it made me pretty much quit hunting. I'm just now thinging of starting again. My sons and I usually do an Elk hunt in Colorado every year as we lived there for 21 years so that's been my annual hunt. I think I'm now ready to fight the ticks and hunt in Arkansas.