Why did COLT close doors to 1911???

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by superbc1911, Nov 16, 2010.

1. superbc1911

superbc1911 New Member

Hello fellow 1911 lovers. PArdon the probable obvious question but...Why did Colt close it's handgun doors??? Recently getting back into guns more in depth.
    Thanks for any insight
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

?? Lost me on this one; what was the news that you heard?
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I didn't know they quit making 1911s.

Maybe they weren't selling enough of them.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

They are still around but they are just hard to get. If you look on the distributors web sites many of them are already allocated. Unless you have a shop near by with a lot of clout and longevity they may or may not get them in stock. Some big stores just refuse to carry them. I got a brand new colt for a custom job about 2 weeks ago. The only reason why I got it is b/c the store that got it for me has a good relationship with its distributor.
  5. superbc1911

superbc1911 New Member

I went on a Colt website and had no mention of handguns. Then I was told to go to Colt's Mfg. I see them now but, still nobody has them in stock. I had heard the rumor about the Brand closing it;s doors to the handgun market for good some few years ago. I thought it had just come true.
    There were too many "signs" pointing to this happening. No availability, High prices, rumors, the Colt website with no handguns! It was all too much, I had to ask.
    I do enjoy this forum and spent some time yesterday reading up on many subjects. I guess I will keep trying for a new Colt 1911.
    thanks
  6. woolleyworm

There's about 15 nice shiny new ones sitting on the shelf at the LGS here and 4 that are not so shiny, but still beautiful in olive drab !! ;) I used to live up in Bellingham, so I'm familiar with Burnaby; sucks to try to find anything handgun related up there in Canada.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The local gun club is going to raffle off a nice new Gold Cup. Guess I better get tickets. Cant have enough 1911's!
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Im thinking your going to have a rough time finding a colt in Canada. Even stores state side can't get them in. They still make them, 100 anniversary colt comes out next year. Its all about distributors and allocation. Colt has no problem selling anything state side, I doubt they would even bother trying to export anything.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Colt keeps two separate websites for two separate purposes. Their site for government agencies, defense contractors, etc. is at www.colt.com. Their site for the average individual is at www.coltsmanufacturing.com.

It's still the same company. And yes, they still make 1911s.
  10. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I remember reading some thing that Colt was only producing around 100 guns per day. I don't know if that was only 1911 models or if the SSA revolvers were included in that number.
  11. superbc1911

superbc1911 New Member

Thanks for all the responses fellow forum members. It seems I have found a new Colt in Calgary. A XSE model. Canadian bargain... $1100 dollars. the gun dealer says if he pulls some strings by spring he will have another one. Good laugh huh!
  12. woolleyworm

That's not a bad price at all in C$. Are you going to buy it?? Post the pics when you get it !!!! :cool:
  13. superbc1911

superbc1911 New Member

The Canadians are gettng better but, still too many bleeding hard democrats out there eating Granolas and sippin on the wrong kool-aid. It pisses me off how this country is the 2nd largest and least populated per sq. mile, with wild life out the "yang" and the gun control is crazy. I have no problem believing there is more bear and moos population than humans. LOL!