The Firearms Forum banner

why did you pick the powder you use?

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  mikld 
#1 ·
As i'm getting more comfortable with reloading and leaning more everyday, i came across a question i wanted to ask several of you. When you are picking a powder to use for a round, what do you look at to decide which powder to use, most specifically on common rounds.

I figure some people look at fps, but i'm curios as to what else?

#2 ·
GOod question.

Sometimes it is a matter of how many different rounds i can load with one powder. That is mostly for pistol plinking rounds. That is why i like 231. Works in alot of different cals. To me the price is right too.

Rifles are a different story. With longer bbl rifles i like slower powders to generally get higher velocities.

For plinking i like to use real common powders like 748. I also stay away from imr powders becuase i dont like they way it is shaped and charges thru the hopper. But that is me.

Then there is the dirt factor. If i come across a dirty powder i generally learn my lesson and stay away from it.

So your question is why do you pick the powder you use?

1. common easy to find
2. to achieve a velocity i may want
3. to stay clean
3. price

#4 ·
for pistols I look for a powder that delivers top velocity at lower pressures than its competitors. and then compare load versatility and see just how many different common rounds I can load with that same powder...

for rifles, steve is spot on. load density is key. I usually select a powder for a given bullet that lists a compressed load as max, that indicates a high load density for that combination and makes finding an accurate charge almost guaranteed...

Also, I have a small library of powders for rifle and pistol. So trying different things is a matter of plucking it off the shelf and loadn up...

#5 ·
I read a bunch of web posting here and just about everywhere-lol- and opted or Win 231/HP-38 for the three calibers I reload. For my use I have not found any good reasons to require a change.

#7 ·
44stevenson:

For pistols I use mostly W231/HP38 except for the occasional magnums load levels where I will use H4227, AA9, or H296/W110.

For rifles I normally start with a set of powders that I always stock. For my purposes it is either a ball powder or a short cut extruded powder. Hodgdon has such powders so I most often use them. I choose them because they feed well through my Dillon Powder measure.

I decide which to use based on the their performance through my gun in range tests. The common choices are H335, H380, and H414. I try them all if there is load data for each. I try different bullet weights and styles, load levels from mild to max, and pick the one that gives the smallest groups. If the gun is a mundane gun like a 30-30 lever (not known for stellar accuracy) I may minimize the choices and be happy with the gun just going "bang".

But I never use a load not in a published reloading manual. Most often it is the Hodgdon manual as that is the powder I use but I compare its data to Sierra's, Speer's, Lyman's and any other manual I might have. The push goes to Hodgdon's data, usually.

The bottom line is I decide on the load based on accuracy performance in testing. I make no attempt at al to get maximum velocity. I no longer use my chronograph. I don't hunt so killing power is not part of my equation. The paper target or the gong cares little about how fast the bullet is traveling. Accuracy is IT for me for rifles, normally.

LDBennett

#8 ·
For rifles:
1. Barrel length to get it all burned
or
2. High velocity
or
3. Quietness for close-in shooting so I don't scare the critters away
or
4. Pressure and velocity for the M1 and M1A

#9 ·
For me I got into reloading to save money, so I chose a powder that would give me the most loads for the money. I chose Accurate Powder for that reason, and for the simple fact that most of it will load several different calibers. Also, I only reload handgun ammo.

#10 ·
For me I got into reloading to save money, so I chose a powder that would give me the most loads for the money....
The whole reason I started reloading was to save money over the cost of practice ammo. I shoot a lot so when I did the cost analysis, I found I could save money with a small investment. I looked for a few things when deciding pistol powder. I went to stores to price check to see what powders local stores kept in stock regularly in 1lb and 8lb containers. I spoke with a couple managers who ran those departments to see what they used for certain calibers. Chances are, they will keep that powder in stock....for themselves ;). Next I determined what calibers I was going to reload. Then I looked at powder charges in powder manufacturers books and how many grains per pound which would correlate to rounds per pound. I shoot Bullseye for .40 and .45, 1400 rounds per pound at 5 grains. works great for me to keep cost down.
For rifle I did the same thing basically because I reload for .223 for my AR, again for training purposes.

#11 ·
For pistol reloading lots of factors dictate which I use, but if I could prioritize them, then desired performance in that caliber is number one.

As an example, I load lots of 45 ACP. I choose a powder based on how well it cycles the gun, felt recoil, desired velocity achievable with that particular powder, and then availability, cleanliness, then cost. My favorites are in order of preference- bullseye, titegroup, powder pistol and then HP 38/231. Titegroup for target practice, power pistol for higher power hunting rounds, and bullseye as a nice combo of those two.

For rifle rounds, JLA and Steve's advice is top-notch!

#12 ·
Thanks for all the info. I was just wondering, I first bought Hogdon Universal to load my .45 because it was what I could find at first. Then I bought some Hogdon Varget to reload .308 for the fps. Then when I bought my 9mm dies and couldn't wait to get started i found the recipe for 9mm using universal, and also noticed it what good for many different handgun loads.

Then I also noticed that the Varget would be good for my .223 reloads. So this is while I was wondering, cuz I know a lot of people use many different kinds. I don't have time to test for accuracy, nor do I want to spent the money buying the different kinds of powders.

#14 ·
For me I am not worried about velocity as long as it's accurate. I also look for a powder that can be used in many calibers. I also want a clean burning powder. For me that's WST. Very accurate and clean in 45 auto and 9mm for me. I want to try it in 38 spcl but can't find load data.

#15 ·
For me I am not worried about velocity as long as it's accurate. I also look for a powder that can be used in many calibers. I also want a clean burning powder. For me that's WST. Very accurate and clean in 45 auto and 9mm for me. I want to try it in 38 spcl but can't find load data.
Rusty I have a couple older PDF Win data files that have WST in the 38 Special. PM with an email address and I will send the files to you.

#16 ·
I have used IMR 4895 for the last 35 plus years in all rifle ammo. I load .308, 30-06 and .444 Marlin with it and get excellent results especially since I also am loading for M1A and m1 Garand. H4895 goes into my .223 since it is a smaller extrusion and goes into the case well. Unique is about the only powder I use in handgun .45ACP and .44 spec. In the .44 mag I use both 2400 and H110.

#17 ·
I chose Varget for rifle because of the diversity of ammo you can load with it. I can load just about all of my rifle cartridges from .223 to 30.06 with it, the exception being 30-30. I do use other powders but mostly Varget.

I use several different powders for pistol loads, I am looking a seven different kinds.

#18 ·
I started by choosing the most popular powder for a particular cartridge (if more people use one powder, there's gotta be a reason). Back then Bullseye was the powder for .38 Special, so that's what I used. Since then I started looking at other aspects of powders; preformance in a particular cartridge, metering, cleanliness, versitality, availability, and lastly cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.