Why didn't they me

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by cec, Sep 22, 2006.

1. cec

cec New Member

Just replaced my first recoil spring on a 1911. Why didn't they tell me that I needed 4 hands? :)

Ended up having to call in the wife for help, hardest thing I had to do.

Taking it apart was no problem, no holes in the wall as the rod goes flying. But putting the sucker back together, fun. I am sure that after doing it some ungodly number of times it will get easier.

When Kimber said it the spring needs to be replaced at 800 rounds, they weren't kidding. The spring was at an odd angle when I got it out.

Now to range test it.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They can be a real pain
  3. stash247

stash247 New Member

Help me here. I've field stripped the 1911 in the dark, blindfolded, in the mud, rain and in hurricaines; is there something special about your pistol???
    A 3" gun, with Seecamp Design captive springs is a bit of fun, but not undoable, living alone; a straight up 1911 is child's play, for my 84 y/o, nearly blind, father.
    I need to hear the details, the 'rest of the story'!
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

No matter what you are doing with guns and how hard it is. Remember my signature
    ANY GUN WORK IS GOOD WORK:)
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:eek: CEC, You just had a "LEARNING EXPERIENCE":D

personally , I think the recoil spring needs changing when it doesn't recoil anymore. Did you shoot 800 rounds thru your gun, w/o field stripping & cleaning it? :D
  6. Been there, done that, cec! :D The first time or two it can be a real pain, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so hard. I think you will find performance is much improved by the spring replacement.
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Do you have a complicated aftermarket two piece guide rod or something????:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm with STASH on this one...replacing a recoil spring in a 1911 is simply a matter of FIELD stripping and replacing the new one, with no tension on the spring, no tools needed....?????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Could you mean the MAINspring? THAT one I need my wife's help or three hands to get the retaining pin back in whenever I'm too lazy to use a VISE....:p

And 800 rounds seems a little light, kind of like changing you car's oil every 3 HUNDRED miles...I've shot 10s of THOUSANDS of rounds without changing mine...with NO problems...in FACT, MOST of the times it only got changed was only when I was going from 5" to 6" and then back....because I HAD to...
  8. cec

cec New Member

Glad to hear I am not alone. Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I've had my eye on a full size 1911, now to find the funds. :)

Polishshooter - This was the recoil spring. I was having misfeeds and the last time I fired it the slide slammed home. Just didn't feel right.

It is just a matter of learning. The every other time I took it apart it went together easy, this time it had a new spring.

Southernshooter - Much like a bad day at the range is better than a good day a work.

Pistolenschutze - I hope so too. Even working the slide now it feels more responsive.

Bruce - This is a Kimber Compact I bought used. I am not sure how many rounds went through it before I rescued it. It was pretty dirty. I put around 500 rounds through it since I purchased it. Eash trip to the range is followed by a field strip and clean. Then I do the gun as well :eek: , wait too much information there.

As for the rest of the story Stash. I took the gun apart with no issues. I was able to get the guide rod assembly apart with no injury to myself or others.

The trouble came when putting it all back together. I was tired by this time. I made the mistake of doing this after getting home from work and some shopping with the wife. So of course I had to be hardheaded and do it now. I was able to get the guide rod to the point where I could get the pin in place. For some reason I just couldn't get the timing right. By the time I got the pin near the hole, the spring would uncoil. This is when I got the wife invovled. I pushed the guide rod through the slide, then she put the pin in place. Then put the darn thing together.

So hopefully after a few more replacements and few curses, I will be able to do this in my sleep.
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

OK, now I understand...I don't use a guide rod, just a Dwyer Group gripper which is really just an extended stock spring yoke with a spring inside...

On a STOCK 1911 or one like mine is a piece of cake...
  10. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I've got a Kimber Compact, as well.

Bushingless barrel, one-piece guide rod with a sort of "reversed" guide rod setup.

To take the pistol down for field-strip, you have to use a paperclip or the supplied gizmo to hold the guide-rod bushing back while you take the slide-stop out.

The spring is VERY strong and takes some effort to put the bushing and spring back on the guide-rod once you take it off.
  11. drymike

drymike New Member

Sounds like working on the Desert Eagle 44 mag; very tough spring the 1st time I tried it.
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

John, this one, we do in daylight, about every 500 rds, but it ain't no miracle, just a bit of practice.
  13. Kardar2

Kardar2 Guest

I lost the little wire thing that came with my Kimber and tried to use paper clips but they would give under the pressure of the spring here is my solution: Take an Allen wrench and take a Deremel and a stone an get it to work it till it fits in the hole
  14. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Use bigger paperclips. [grin]
  15. cec

cec New Member

Or you could do what I did. Called Kimber and they sent me two free of charge. No need to destroy a perfectly good allen wrench. :)

They even threw in a printed manual.