Why Do People Say 1911's Suck?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hogger129, Aug 1, 2012.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I browse through videos on YouTube quite frequently, and one thing I overwhelmingly notice is that on 1911 videos, there is always somebody saying that 1911's suck, often pointing to reliability as the reason why.

What gives? A lot of times, these are also real people who shoot too, not just some trolls. For example, this James Yeager guy.

I've got a 1911 that is perfectly reliable and amazingly accurate. Doesn't suck by a long shot.

I really don't care too much, but my observation has been that the 1911 is a pretty darn good piece.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i love 1911's

but its like this Glock thing , until recently , i've not had much to do with them

i ask folks who have em and they say they are the best but dont say why , and have the attitude you had better accept their say so or your a moron or similar , and though i've let folks try most of my weaponry here , think someone would loan me a glock for more than a few shots ?? 6 years on i found someone , he thought his a OK gun , prefered his smith semi but his job supplied glocks so he got one to practice with .. thats the only guy who made sense ..

some folks think because they are heavy they recoil like heck or you cant hit squat

a colt .357 python has way more boot , and then theres the general anti 1911 statements

no basis for em i can see , and most with a bent to say this is better or that is better but note how most make 1911 clones while they bag em out ??

i watched only this week saying how huge the recoil on a 1911 was and why

i no longer reply to such things .. too much hassle dealing with those who push such snake oil
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

A true gun lover..loves them all. Over the past year I have shot most of the handguns on the market through friends and stuff......but I ALWAYS go back to my 1911 like I have had it for 30 years. You couldn't pay me enough for it..
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Because they bought a glock and realized their mistake so they just make up crap to feel better about their dishwasher safe gun.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

actually the glocks seem ok heck they do the job .. not long term like a steel gun , but they'll last 10-20 maybe depends on the use and light exposure ..
  6. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I am a Glock fanboy, simply because I like the feel of them, they're relatively accurate, and extremely reliable.

That being said, I've never disparaged a 1911. It has truly earned it's place in history, and have an elegant beauty of their own.

Unless you're busting on a gun for specific, provable quality issues then it's just an opinion.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Is that all? Seriously? Hell, I'm shooting a 1911 made in 1916 (infrequently) and a 1911A1 Remington made in 1942. The Remington shoots very well, as accurate as I would hope for. The 1911 is almost 100 years old.

I think a lot of guys who disparage a 1911 haven't ever held one, let alone shot one, and they're going on the old stories about how inaccurate the 1911 was during WW II. Not true by a long shot.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    There was an accuracy issue with the G.I. issued 1911's. They were designed to opperate in really bad conditions, and that would not allow for close tolerances. They were not target pistols! Close tolerances are required for accurat hits on target. These stories have been heard by a lot of folks who have never shot one. They just go by what they heard. The 1911A1 that I carry today is a far cry from what was issued to G.I.'s. I wouldn't swap my 1911 for a truck load of Glocks. Not that Glocks aren't good guns, they just don't fit my hand at all!
  9. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

1911s have a Mystical Cult following by Hand gun Purists ,,The look ,,the feel,,the Massive Knockdown Power,,all add up to the Mystic Following they Have,,,,I shoot my CZ a lot more than my 1911,,but something about that Ancient warrior brings me Pleasure that my other hand guns can,t match,,,of course that only my opinion I could be wrong
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

our sun aint kind the the plastic guns , we had to remake the styers here if you remember. ( also they jammed a lot )

i've a P22 thats got a lot of small fractures on the butt that was hanging out the holster most range meetings for a long while . its not got much longer eh .. and a couple pf the plastic mag protection plates have cracked when dropped the last year
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Destruction by sun light would make a good topic for a thread!
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

takes a lot of sun , but cops glocks show it a lot .. i'll get some pic's next time i'm up at the workshop there
    but what i read is dry heat ( like storing it in a hot car ) as many cops do

account for the degridation of the plastics as much as sunlight , but we are talking heats of 150-180 deg F for 4-5 hours at a time and days on end of it ( cops in outback communities often leave their guns locked in their cars )

but its noticable at 3 years and then is a rapid breakdown and contraction of the material

but we also only talking maybe 1000 guns out of 20,000 or so in service , it a extream as is part of the state here , dry barren hot places ..

dry heat and sunlight still takes 3-4 years to show but it goes south from there fast
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  13. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

you are not a fanboy at all. A fanboy likes one thing because that is what he likes and forsakes all others.

I like my 1911 because it feels good in my hand. It has a natural feeling to me and points easily. My 1911 has never had a single malfunction because of the gun. In the beginning stages of learning to load for it I had a few rounds that wouldn't chamber because I made a mistake in the crimping. mine eats HP, FL, RN, TC and anything else I put in it even pizza. It is deadly accurate.

Though I don't want to carry it as an EDC gun. I like it too much. I am currently in the process of saving for a Smith M&P 40 for a carry gun. I looked at glock, sig P250, Smith M&P, and the XD. They are all great guns it just depends on what you like and dislike.
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

There will always be HATERS! Thats ok. Let them hate. In 100 years from now (if the world were to last that long) there would still be a bunch of perfectly good functioning 1911s from today and the glocks (and others) would have all been melted down to make childrens toys or something.
  15. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I think it is like the ford chevy thing or any other where people have thier favorites.I love a 1911 and dont care for a glock.I just dont like being told mine will do and thiers are superior.If it was that was true the soldiers would be packing them.