Why Do We Carry Conceald?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rhuga, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

I was thinking why do we carry our weapons hidden? We go to such great lengths, inconvenience, and discomfort to carry our weapons out of site when it is still legal to carry in the open?
    I think that we still need the concealed carry permit for a number of good reasons. But what is wrong having our guns in the open?
    1. It would definitely bring notice to the bad guys and act as a deterrence that they might have a fight on their hands if they messed with us.
    2. Other folks would be a little shy to be next to us.
    3. And I really doubt that the crime rate would raise.

Any ideas?
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think the only legit reasons are:

1. Not to alarm the sheeple-
    2. not to attract the attention of an AG leo-
    and
    3. some people just really aren't comfortable carrying a firearm; so when they do carry, they prefer CC.

-
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Or, like me, you live somewhere where open carry is illegal.
  4. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I like to keep the fact im carrying to myself. if i need it itsright there and if i pull it that means enemy. never give them the upper hand.
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Even if I could open carry I wouldn't. I don't like to attract attention, plus the element of surprise.
  6. tommixx

tommixx New Member

open carry NO conceled yes why advertise
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

If you carry your weapon in the open, and I was the criminal who wanted to attack you, then you just made my job much easier. Unless you are using a good retention holster, I will just attack you with your own firearm. You can not keep your mind on weapons retention all the time. That is why L.E. use retention holsters. The average armed citizen uses some junk that will give up the weapon if you step the wrong way or brush up against a door frame.
  8. The Duke

The Duke New Member

+1 Bamajoey...Dont let them know a thing until it is their last thing to know...ie Big Flash in the face.
  9. vytoland

vytoland New Member

the element of surprise is a big factor. you dont need to advertise your business, but when the time comes, you are ready
  10. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Hello,

I can, and have, done both.

Most people around here don't give it a second look, or if they do, they want to know about cocked'n'locked carry.

I just decided on concealed carry most of the time because of the surprise factor.

I can act like I'm going for my wallet in response to a holdup, and it suddenly becomes, "Mr. Badguy, meet Mr. 1911!"

That's the theory anyway. I've always been told not to show your ace until the proper time.

Regards,

Josh
  11. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well it appears we have some VERY mis-informed people here as well.

BG's always have the upper-hand. (At least, in the begining of an attack.) That's why people are called victims.

BG's ALWAYS have the element of surprise on their side!

Surprise is an "OFFENSIVE" tactical element; not a "defensive" one. Afterall, the BG is the ONLY person who controls the decision to implement an attack. You "MAY" be able to influence a BG's decision; especially if the BG "KNOWS" you will fight back! But, the decision to ATTACK is ultimately in the BG's hands.

There has only the "ONE" instance of which I'm aware, where a OC'er was targeted because he was OCing. (I would like to see PROOF of others though.)

I "personally" don't know of any other instance where an OCer was targeted. But, I do know of quite a few instances where OC deterred crime. (Some of them I know about 1'st hand.)

BTW;
    I too have done both OC & CC; and I concur with Josh. Most people don't even notice.

-
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I do not agree with this statement. It is an infringement on our Second Amendment Rights. A person should not be required to have a permit to practice a right given by our Constitution. We do not need a permit for any of the other rights that we have.
  13. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I am in agreement with this assessment. The victim is nearly always at a severe disadvantage during an attack. The best hope is for a very keen awareness the surroundings and activities around you and to be able to forecast an attack before it is launched.
  14. Win73

Win73 New Member

Basically I carry concealed because I don't want people to know I am armed. Its that simple. In fact there are times when I can't afford for people to know that I am armed.

And aside from that, if someone knows I am armed and decides to attack or rob me anyway, they will probably just shoot me to begin with to prevent me from being able to use my weapon on them. If they don't know that I am armed, I might have a better chance to defend myself.
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

As Josh Smith already mentioned, Indiana has no regulations regarding concealed and open carry. I vacationed last week in Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina, and it's always weird for me to travel to states that aren't quite so "gun friendly." South Carolina does not recognize Indiana Licenses to Carry Handgun (as ours are called), so I had to unload my pistol and store it in the trunk before we went there. Tennessee and North Carolina are better, but I always keep it concealed when traveling so as to avoid any hint of a problem.

Here in the Hoosier State, anyone with a license/permit to carry a handgun issued by any state can carry, openly or concealed, as many handguns as he chooses to any place that is not a school or a government building with a jail or courthouse inside. It's pretty lax these days.

That said, I still carry concealed better than 95% of the time. It just fits my lifestyle and my desire for confrontation much better.
  16. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I see the "if you open carry, the bad guy will shoot you first" argument pushed all the time. Several thoughts come to me whenever I see that.

If this is true, whenever a criminal walks into a store, with the intention of robbing it, and there is a uniformed police officer there, he first shoots the cop, transforming a simple "armed robbery - 5 to 10" into a "1st degree murder - ride the lightning".

I realize that this is fiction, but it makes a good point. TV movie, many years ago. Because his wife was killed in a robbery that he thought he could have prevented if he had been armed, a local politician pushes through a bill making it legal to carry a gun in his town. When two out-of-towners stop to rob the local convenience store, they see the clerk has an N-frame S.O.B., the guy at the magazine rack is wearing a single action in a buscadero rig, the mother pushing the baby carriage has a J frame on her waist and the guy at the cold-drink cooler has a double shoulder rig with 1911s. The two robbers turn and leave without trying anything.

Then there is the thought that if I go in to rob the store, and see an armed man, and shoot him, but my aim is not perfect, and I either just wound him or miss him entirely, he is liable to shoot me. I would probably go pick another store to rob. I'm going into that store to get money, not to get into a life-or-death firefight.
  17. Chinook

Chinook New Member

Agreed! Great points you guys!

I sincerely believe that regardless of how "hardened" a criminal is, they would still have to be scared sh**less walking in to the 7-11 you are about to hold-up. Perhaps not, but I would venture a guess and say that the mind of said criminal is not too tactically inclined. If he knew I was armed, thats a dis-advantage for me. So I try to keep a couple of those 50+ cards stacked in my favor. Seems fruitless, but I think any advantage, regardless of how miniscule, is better than none at all.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's the way I see it also. Though, here in TX you don't have a choice of open carry at all. There is a chance that if the BG gets the drop on you, and wants your wallet, that he will leave once he has it. That's a win-win for a bad situation. I don't get shot, and neither does the BG. I might be out $50, but I don't have to pay any attorney fees, that will surely cost me a whole lot more!
  19. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

There has been some very good points made. Lets think about this: In Nature, The predators will more often go after the weak, slow, and defenseless creatures to pray on. If Bambi could shoot back, there wouldn't be anymore deer hunts. There would be a mass extermination. Open carry would not show that you were either weak, slow, or defenseless and the BG's are bullies that prey on those that can't fight back. Look at the statistics of how many old people are mugged vs the young folks that can take care of themselves.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  20. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Do you believe this?
    According to the book, Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense With a Gun written by Dr. Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, guns are used 2.5 million times a year by law-abiding citizens in self-defense. That breaks down to about 6,850 times a day(86).
    On it's website The National Safety Council says the total number of gun deaths accounts for less than 30,000 deaths per year. This means that firearms are used eighty times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. Looking at the break down of these 2.5 million cases, we find that a large majority of the time merely brandishing a weapon or firing a warning shot to scare off the attacker is all that was required. Less than 8% of the time is the attacker wounded or killed.

Even anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig from the Clinton Administration published a study in 1997 called “Guns in America” for The National Institute of Justice. In this study they admitted that according to the Justice Department there are as many as 1.5 million cases a year where guns are used in self-defense. George Will in “Are we a Nation of Cowards'?” wrote for Newsweek in 1993 that armed citizens kill more criminals than police do every year, by a margin of almost two to one (1527 to 606). Newsweek readers learned “Only 2% of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police was more than 11%, more than five times as high.” Some 200,000 women use a gun to defend themselves against sexual abuse every year.