why do we pay the fee?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by sewerman, Feb 21, 2010.

1. sewerman

sewerman New Member

ever wonder why in florida where a concealed permit holder is exempt form the instant back ground check every gun dealer that i have been to still makes you pay the $5.00 fee and even makes the call.

i read the stautes after perusing them for a family member thinking about purchasing a gun.

i just don't like the fact that someone is taking advantage of folks good natures.

the statue states "exempt from" not dealer discretion....exempt...period.

the dealers have you over a barrel for a tranfer but they make $30-$40 so why the gouge?

just my two cents...

sewerman
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. wpage

wpage Active Member

Its capitalism. Check around for another agent.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've never had a dealer charge for the NICS check. Maybe Indiana is different. Although I didn't have to pay when I bought a gun in Michigan, either.
  4. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I've never had a dealer charge for the NICS check. Maybe Indiana is different. Although I didn't have to pay when I bought a gun in Michigan, either.

I see it this way to
  5. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

I'd like to know myself. I always pay the fee and they always make the call. Of course, with the CCW there is no waiting period and you can walk out immediately with a handgun or whatever. But I always pay.
  6. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

In NC, we don't pay for an NICS even if one does not have a CHP. With the CHP, the dealer doesn't even bother to make the phone call.
  7. coffeediver

coffeediver New Member

The Colorado legislature passed the law last year to allow anyone who has the CCW bypass the background check when buying from a dealer or at the gun show, believing the background for the CCW should be sufficient, but our Governor Bill Ritter vetoed it.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. red14

red14 Active Member

Good point, Alpo.
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

And that was a good pun, Red! :p:D:D:D:D:D
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I've had my background checked so many times it's not even funny. Of course, I don't have to pay when I buy a gun, only for the permit to carry every five years. I figure that background check costs enough.
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, Red, I made a comment, checked the statutes, and found that my comment was incorrect. I could not delete my post, so I just got rid of my comment.

I was told, several years ago, that the law had changed and you now needed a call-in, even if you had a permit (when I first got my permit you didn't). I just checked, and as of 2009, if you have a carry permit, you don't need a call-in, you don't need a fee, and you don't need to fill out any paperwork. Just, "Here's money, give me gun, bye-bye". Feds still require you till fill out that pesky 4473, but Florida don't.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...TM&Title=->2009->Ch0790->Section 065#0790.065 section 1

Notice, it says that a seller can't sell to a member of the general public, unless the seller:
    a - has the buyer fill out a form
    b - collects a fee not to exceed 8 dollars
    c - calls the buyer in and
    d - receives an approval number

Then it says:
    >However, if the person purchasing, or receiving delivery of, the firearm is a holder of a valid concealed weapons or firearms license pursuant to the provisions of s. 790.06 or holds an active certification from the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as a "law enforcement officer," a "correctional officer," or a "correctional probation officer" as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9), the provisions of this subsection do not apply.

So, yeah, the way the law reads, since I have a permit, I don't need any of that crap.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010