The Firearms Forum banner

Why Does 115gr.9mm Always Sells Out First And 124gr.Seems To Remain On The Shelf

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RJay 
#1 ·
Is there that much of a difference.I have noticed this everywhere I have gotten loading supplies there seems to be 124gr.still available
Since everyone seems to choose the 115gr.,I thought there must be a reason why,so I always always bought it to because it was just about sold out.
Why do you think it's so much more desirable to shoot?

#2 ·
My carry load at work and home is 124gr +P HP. I get them for free and shoot them during professional training sessions, but for my personal stash and recreational shooting, I will purchase either weight depending on price and available brand. Right now, all of the ammo I purchased that I have on hand is 115gr FMJ because that was most available online when I was buying.

#4 ·
My carry load at work and home is 124gr +P HP. I get them for free and shoot them during professional training sessions, but for my personal stash and recreational shooting, I will purchase either weight depending on price and available brand. Right now, all of the ammo I purchased that I have on hand is 115gr FMJ because that was most available online when I was buying.
I have noticed the same trend at three different reloading supply stores.I guess the 124gr. Is used more for self-defense not target/plinking shooting.

#5 ·
You go to the store and buy a box of "ball". Just plain old US-made FMJ. It's, most likely, gonna be 115. That was all I shot, for years and years. Then I bought some Russian stuff, and it was 124. "WOW. Heavier bullets. Wonder why?"

Later I found out NATO ammo, and most defensive +P hollow-point ammo, is 124.

I believe that the reason US-ball is 115 is that they can charge the same price, for the slightly lighter bullet, and save a couple of cents per box. When you are talking about millions of boxes, that's real money.

And since the store-bought stuff they shoot is 115, when they buy bullets for reloading, they ALSO get 115. Leastways, that's why I buy them. I get 124 seldom, and 147 never. I'm just used to 115 in 9.

#6 ·
Also 115gr will be a little cheaper that 124gr. I prefer 124gr over 115gr for loading because the 124gr will give less perceived recoil. My pistol reloads are usually for competition, so I want a soft precived recoil. The 115gr will be a little more snappy than 124gr. If you are just loading for Plinking rounds I would load 115gr also. Like others said 115gr is a very popular bullet for Factory rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.