Why does everyone hate Taurus?...

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ponycar17, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

So, I partially know... They're 'fer-eign....' Yeah, ok, I know that, but why is it that every time there's a debate that emerges about large revolvers, it migrates towards Smith and Smith only?... Taurus makes a fine revolver with features that Smith is scared to attempt. I'm just curious why we choose to ignore Taurus?...

:confused:
  2. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

You'r right . People seem to turn their nose up at the mention of Taurus .
    I have no experience with them but wouldn't mind giving them a try .
  3. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

good question, and I'm not sure I have an answer, I have seen plenty of taurus models that I like very much...perhaps it the low cost of the pistols that makes us feel like we are buying a cheap gun?. the new Taurus 809B-9mm is a great feeling gun, and a nice price to boot.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've not tried any of their revolvers, but their autos just seem to be balanced awkwardly for my tastes.
    I would love to try one sometime, though...
  5. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

I don't have a Taurus revolver so I don't hate them. I can only hate my PT1911. I hate it because I have never gotten to practice reducing a stoppage; never felt like doing all those fun modifications (except the walnut double diamonds, guess they don't have walnuts in Brasil) because I pretty much like it the way it is; never felt like adding more of Browning's .45 autos to my collection because I don't collect, I shoot.
    And if I ever wear out my big Smith, Colt or Ruger wheel guns, I would definately look into Taurus because I would probably hate them as much as I hate their autos.
  6. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

Never fired a revolver of theirs...but I do have a PT1911. It's one of 2 autos I've shot or seen shot extensively that hasn't jammed or misfired (the other being my roommates italian beretta 92 stainless).

As far as "problems" go, every gun can have one. No matter who makes it. For instance I have seen problems from: my roommates Sig .45 (jammed on 4 occasions) which also broke a take down lever, a marine buddy's HK .45 (fail to feed, only once after it had been put away dirty and it was cold outside), another marine buddy's kimber 1911 .45 with tac rail (ftf 4 out of 50 rounds our first time out, ftf twice out of 50 the next time we went shooting), my uncle's glock 10mm (stovepipe once, fail to feed once), and another kid at the range had a poor Springfield XD 9mm that would only fire one round at a time much like my Hi-Point 9mm in its current condition

my roommate also just got a used px4 storm, so far so good...we have put over 200 rounds through it with no problems so far

so why do people hate Taurus? the terms "snob", "ignorant", and even "jealous" come to mind for some reason... :)

but more or less egos are a bitch and noone wants to think someone might have gotten something nice (even if its not AS nice) cheaper, so they feel the need to tear it down to boost their own pride in what they have

I'm not saying Taurus is as good or better than any other brand mentioned here and there are definately better guns, but I will say I have no problem with mine, especially for what I paid for it.

I will be the first to post here when my first problem occurs (and I'm sure it will eventually)
  7. Colorado1135

Colorado1135 New Member

I have a taurus .40 and I don't recall ever having a jam in it, I also recently aquired a 617 that I never got a chance to shoot, but if its anything like my dads .357 it will be a dream to shoot, I prefer taurus over most other models, although I have heard of their 24/7 in 45 fail to feed occasionaly, could have been the ammo too tho...... my .02
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have a Taurus 99 which is the copy of the Beretta 92 with adjustable sights. Only the sights have ever failed (fell off twice until I "fixed" them). I have a little Taurus Model 63 semi-auto 22lr rifle. It had some feeding problems when I over stuffed the magazine tube which went away the minute I started following the instruction manual. I have a Thuderbolt (Colt Lightning rifle clone) that has had a feeding problem. There was a timing problem for ammo feeding that was really part of the poor original Colt design that I fixed and the realization that the ammo had to be shorter than the absolute max for 45LC by about 0.020 inches. Factory ammo worked fine but my reloads were the problem.

In general when it comes to revolvers, if you lay a S&W on the bench beside a Taurus revolver you can see the differences in fit and finish. I suppose the same is true of the Model 92 Taurus pistol and the Beretta 92 but there the differences are much less noticeable, at least to me. But for revolvers I'll stick to my S&W's and for simi-auto's and repro rifles I still think Taurus is a viable choice. Taurus does a nice job considering where they are at in their cost point in the market place. I think them to be a good value. I own them and the "snob" equivalents and the Taurus's are good guns, in general.

LDBennett
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Here's the answer.

Years ago, when Taurus first arrived on the gun scene, their pistols were poorly built and prone to problems. Some say the metal was soft ( where have we heard that before about foreign copies). Taurus suffered because of this. Although a S&W copy, the pistols were lacking the S&W quality and the whole gun world knew.

Now, years later, Taurus has come around from humble beginnings to finally building a top quality pistol. Still a S&W copy but not up to their quality hence the lesser price.

Same as Rossi, Charles Daly,RIA,etc. It takes time to build a quality weapon and instead of working out the bugs and quality control issues,it seems the manufactures want an immediant return on their investment.
  10. Shooter, I think you pretty much hit the target in the 10-ring. When they first came out, the Taurus revolvers probably ranked more or less with many of the cheap Spanish imports, which is to say, they were pretty miserable in terms of reliability and overall quality. I believe that has definitely changed greatly for the better. I currently own three Taurus revolvers (a 605, a 617, and a 455), one Taurus automatic (a Millennium Pro 745), and a Rossi (481) which is made by Taurus. All have proven to be well-made and reliable weapons. I do feel the revolvers are still not quite up to Smith and Wesson standards, but they are certainly close and getting better. Since they are made in Brazil with far less labor cost, Taurus can offer the weapons at a considerably smaller price and still maintain excellent quality. Much of the animus against the Taurus weapons in this country is nothing but snobbery.
  11. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

now if you lay a Taurus snubbie side by side with an S$W, I'd take the Taurus....
  12. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

I hope my post did imply simply owning a quality firearm makes one a snob, because that was not my intention. I love my roommates Beretta 92.

A snob isn't someone who owns a better instrument, its someone who thinks the instrument they own is the end all be all of such instruments and all others are garbage IMO.

This is a problem that comes up frequently on the Gibson guitar/ Epiphone guitar forums.
  13. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

I read on another forum someone making a comparison of the Hondas from 25 years ago to the Hondas of today, and how much the quality has changed in a little under three decades. The same holds true with Taurus. Their products today, by and large, bear little resemblance to those of yesteryear. With improvements in technology, new innovative ideas and a hiring the V.P. of Colt to head up things (he had a lot to do with helping bring the PT1911s into existence) Taurus is only going to continually improve IMO.

For their Raging Bull series alone, they invested millions into new CNC machining. A good move on their part because in doing so, it enabled them to take a slice of the market share for big bores along with S&W and Ruger, to a lesser extent. The PT1911s are selling like hotcakes now and many are ancipating the release of both the new PT809s and 24/7 OSS models.

Here's a list of some of the accomplishments of Taurus since 1997:

AWARDS

• NRA Golden Bullseye Handgun of the Year Taurus PT24/7

• Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence 2003 Hall of Fame Inductee Robert G. Morrison
    • Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence Ammunition of the Year
    • Nominee Taurus Copper Bullet .45 ACP
    • NRA Golden Bullseye 480 Raging Bull

• NSSF/SHOT Business Man of the Year Robert G. Morrison
    • NASGW Manufacturer of the Year
    • SHOT Business Manufacturer of the Year

• NASGW Manufacturer of the Year

• Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence Manufacturer of the Year
    • FIRST factory Concealed Hammer on small frame .38 Special and 357 Magnum revolvers.
    • Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence Handgun of the Year Millennium
    • Guns & Ammo Gun of the Year 454 Raging Bull

• American Firearms Industry Excellence Award Total Titanium

• Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence Handgun of the Year 454 Raging Bull

• American Firearms Industry Revolver of the Year

We have many Taurus lovers at www.taurusarmed.net , which stands to reason since it is a brand oriented site. But if you're curious, please stop by and register. :D
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  14. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Good responses everyone... Thanks for the replies! :)

Being one of the under-30 crowd, I did not realize that the first Tauruses were of an obviously lesser quality. I own two of their guns and I'm absolutely amazed at how well they're made for the price. Finish is one of the areas that Taurus may be able to improve, but for the price I'll settle for what they provide.
  15. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Pistol, I really don't think it has to do with snobbery. Maybe just the memories of older shooters like myself that remember the early models. Then passing that info on to younger shooters back in that time who didn't remember the whole story. :) Taurus got few good reviews even from the gun mags back then. Hell, they give everyone good reviews that spend a buck. It just takes time to work out the early problems of new firearms and the makers want to sell,sell,sell.