Why doesn't anybody offer an AR in 30-06???

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by bluesea112, May 30, 2009.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

30-06 is one of the most popular calibers of all time.
    Does anybody know a technical or mechanical reason that nobody has produced an AR style rifle in 30-06?

There must be a good reason, but I don't know what it would be. I know they would sell like hot cakes if someone offered it.

What do y'all think?

bluesea112
  2. I would suggest that it's because the .30-06 is considered a "long action" cartridge. An AR style weapon would have to be awfully large, and exceptional strong, to accommodate such a round, and that would defeat the whole purpose of the AR design. Look, for example, at the Browning Automatic Rifle to see what you would be dealing with.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

The .308 is so close to the ballistics of the .30-06 that I doubt manufacturers want to go to the effort to make a longer-action AR just for the .30-06. It would possibly be a somewhat oddball in terms of magazine length, etc... The logic for making a .243 for the AR was in large part because the .243 is a necked-down .308, so the action travel is the same and the rounds fit much the same way in the magazines for the .308 round.

That's just my amateur opinion on the matter. :confused:
  4. islenos

islenos New Member

they do

Cobb MCR Multi Caliber Rifle

Attached Files:

5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I think I saw one of those in a local gun store earlier this week:eek:

I see it's offered in all the Mauser calibers EXCEPT 7.92x57:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  6. OBrien

OBrien New Member

How much for one in 35 Whelen? That would be awesome! A little pricey but still great.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'm not convinced that the AR platform is the best one out there anyway...

mike
    gn
  8. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I personally know or knew the guys at Cobb but they got bought out by bushmaster. They no longer make the MCR! Wish they did! So there are no more long action ARs on the market :( So the ones out there are the ones you get! Untill Skip Patel gets to making them at Bushmaster and thats not going to happen any time soon!
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Wow, I got all excited only to be disappointed in the end. I didn't even realize cob had been purchased by Bushmaster. That sucks. Man that multi caliber looks like an incredible rifle.

Thanks for the replies everybody.
  10. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Skip Patel needs to make his current line of rifles function properly before he takes on any more projects. I have a Predator that is still giving me problems. Sent it back to factory twice. They say they cannot mimick the feeding problem. Bushmaster sucks.
  11. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Well I told Buzz "sales manager at Cobb" that it was a bad idea to sell out like that to a huge company like Bushmaster than he said "With the money they offered him its was no brainer I only wish I had more shares in the company."
  12. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Because people are a bunch of little girls and do not want to carry a gun that weighs 6 ounces more.
  13. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I guess you can't blame a guy for making a profit. However, it seems kind of silly to purchase a company without continuing to produce their product. I don't think Cobb had enough of the market share to hurt Bushmaster sales, so the only valid reason for Bushmaster to purchase Cobb would be to acquire their product designs.

The only company offering multiple hunting calibers in an AR frame rifle is DPMS, and they are flourishing because of it. Bushmaster is crazy for not continuing the production of Cobb's multi caliber option rifle, because that would put them in the same playing field with DPMS.

Bushmaster doesn't even offer an AR in .308!

I wonder when the Cobb management team's "non compete" clause expires? lol
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Gosh, that MCR rifle is nice. That photo has a magnet inside that keeps pulling me back to look at it.
  15. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Have you seen the COBB MCR 400? it is chambered in larger calibers like 300 win mag and 338 lapua!!!

CobbMCR400.jpg
  16. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I think im going to give buzz a call and i will get back to you guys on some info with whats goin on with bushmaster and see what buzz has been up to hes a hard man to get a hold of these days. Oh by the way they gave Skip a VP spot so i he might not want to continue the MCR product line with the nice cush job hes got!! :D:D:D
  17. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I found one of these in 30-06 here in Texas. Seller is asking $4000.00. That is just stupid.
  18. glocknut

glocknut New Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... :rolleyes:

mike
    gn
  19. Ray Scarbrough

Ray Scarbrough New Member

They Do !~ ....(Noreen Firearms) Makes A Rifle called The( Bad News 3006 ) or ( BN-36 )for Short !!~ It Is An AR-10 Chamberd in 3006 with A 22" barrel 1in 10 Twist, Sells For Approx 1800.00 Comes With Two 20rd Magizines and Weighs Approx 8Lbs !!~ I Have One And its Awesome !!~ Check Out There Sight ! Im Supprised There Hasent Been More talk About It !!~ Why Wait For The Maybe Someday Cobb , When You Can Have An Even Better Bad News 3006 AR , Right Now !!~ Come On Guy's ! Keep Up !!~ Let Me Know What You Think !!~
  20. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

and i thought 308 was a bit big for ar platform. :)