Why I don't live on the east coast anymore...

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by aa1911, Aug 22, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

...because I get to look at this:

[​IMG]

Mt Rainier in the background, mt adams is also visible from that spot (not in the photo), left is sunrise, juniper and tongue mountain ridgeline.

just a few photos of the kickoff of hunting season this year in the south cascades of western washington; went out for bear this weekend for a few days and beat quite a few trails and glassed a lot of hillsides. not much animal activity other than ducks and hawks, a loon looking bird... but lots of season left...

Wobbly Lake:
    [​IMG]

Gilbert peak from Nanny ridge:
    [​IMG]

st Helens from same spot:
    [​IMG]

and mt Adams:
    [​IMG]

and finally, the view from my campsite below Elk peak, mt Adams[​IMG]:

I did full combo license this year again, deer, elk, bear and cougar, wish me luck! hope to fill at least one of those tags...
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We sure have it good out here. Idaho has the same beauty. Good pics.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

great pic's ,

cheers for sharing
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great pics, I grew up in Darrington; if you know where that is. One of a few things I miss about WaSt is the great outdoors.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I grew up in PA and I do miss the leaves changing in the fall, late september thru october is amazing; but the elk, salmon and huge volcanos with snow keep me forever glued to this area of the country. Also miss being able to hunt grey squirrels though.

It's unbelievably rugged terrain here and can be downright miserable in the winter (and dangerous) but somehow I still find a way to enjoy it all. A hard day's climb is almost always paid off with amazing views! Winter time means stay lower and put on the snowshoes, summer means scramble to the highest peaks.

I've always been a mt goat, I climb as high as I can and cover as much ground as possible. If you see a goofball with an M1A roaming the cascades in southwest WA, it's probably me! Here's my kit this year, made a new pack and chest rig with some hunter orange 'jute'. Pack is multicam fabric with all the fixin's.

[​IMG]

and some critter scratching, believe it's bear although kitties like to do this too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and almost forgot, Walupt lake:
    [​IMG]

Got tons more to come hopefully, maybe with some big critter kills in it...
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ahh yes, and Darrington is near Glacier peak, on my to do list!
    it's a 10k footer I've been eyeballing... not too far north of my neck o' the woods.
  7. 1LoneWolf75

1LoneWolf75 Active Member

Beautiful I like eastern KS fer all the trees once you get away from everyone.
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I hunted the back side of Mt Adams for many years. The little lake off of NF 2334, between Babyshoe Ridge and Council Bluff was my favorite camp spot.

Pops
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I may not live in the Pacific NW, but I've been there! I absolutely fell in love with the area! Motorcycle tour of the Western U.S. 1997. I have never been able to decide which I like the best, the oceans, or the mountains! From where I live, I can drive in one day to the mountains, the Gulf Coast, or the East Coast.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

council bluff is very close to where I was stompin' around this weekend, council lake is a popular spot and nearby taklahk and horshoe lakes. sorry the pics aren't cooperating, photobucket is down apparently for some reason... or maybe just my slow internet, thanks DSL.... anyway, hope you guys enjoy the pics, I'll keep the Olympus rolling while I'm scrounging the hillsides this season!

I think my first time passing thru here was in '99 a few months before I enlisted, fell in love with the area and managed to weasel my first duty station here at lewis where I've camped out ever since. My folks and I had done a trip in the early 90's to CO and surrounding states but never made it to WA. I'm sold! Ya feel pretty insignificant when you walk thru trees here bigger around then your car; nevermind they're on the side of a cliff pretty much.

Makes me wonder what ever did happen to DB Cooper!
  11. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

aa1911, Wifey and I grew up 80 miles east of the Burgh and left 20 years back, miss the sports, ethnic foods, and the reds in the fall, mostly yellow & gold in Alaska; could never go back. Wonder how I wasted half my life back there? My kids will never leave Alaska, When they visited relatives, they were shocked at what people called normal back east.
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

nice, not too far from State College then, eh? bout an hour away sounds like from where I grew up.

Finally made it up to AK a few times in 2010 for work, didn't get to go out into the bush very much but I wouldn't have any problem living there either! Fairbanks got up to 18 degrees one day on my first trip in March, average was around 8-12 degrees and negative whatever at night. Did the cup of hot water trick, threw it in the air; half turned to steam and the other half came down as ice crystals! hilarious.

The daylight issue wasn't near as big a deal as I thought it would be but still not too keen on the long nights of winter. The flight between Fairbanks and Anchorage is impressive, got a family friend that lives on the Kenai penninsula also. Need a boat or plane to really get around anywhere!
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Beautiful looking scenery and thanks for shareing the pictures!
    Awesome pictures.
  14. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I look forward to camping in southern Utah every year, it's beautiful. But the flinthills of Kansas is the place I love the most.
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Why I left the West coast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why I live on the east coast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]